• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Experimenting Ninetales

Cradily

Fossil merchant
Years
Hey guys, I'm on to a interesting one indeed with Ninetales, more specifically its ability drought.

This sprung to mind when i saw a very interesting special/offensive wall in Ninetales, in which i wanting to make myself, obviously help is needed, if people can help me out.

Moveset was a new one with Solor beam, Captivate, fire blast/heat wave and i think will o wisp, but i aint sure on the latter, The ev spread i would have no clue about.

My guess would be 252 HP 112 Spe 144 SpD but that seems a bit inconsistent.

As of nature i aint sure, maybe careful or calm, which ever one does not decrease the special attack.

As of the item, a one use item what increased fire move a bit.

Overall, i do need help with this, if people can help me i would appreciate it, i want it to specifically do exactly this, a good lead.

Thanks guys :)

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Captivate is a poor move on any Pokemon. Why play the gender guessing game with your opponent when you can use that moveslot to do something else? Ninetales is better off trying to figure out how to deal with Politoed and Tyranitar rather than wall things, because really if you're running a sun team you can't throw Ninetales around like that. Ninetales is your biggest advantage against other weather teams and you need to keep it out of harm's way as much as possible. :(

I guess what I'm saying is that you definitely shouldn't run Captivate. You need to run enough speed to outrun Excadrill out of sand (and I think that's the standard, but icr what that number is off the top of my head) and you should run some time of Fire-type move and Will-o-Wisp. Beyond that it's a little more free for interpretation, although you still can't use moves that generally don't lead to a positive result (mind you, mostly physical attackers try to beat down on Ninetales anyway!). Safeguard is a cool option that's been relatively unexplored. Solarbeam is an option.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
Ninetails as a wall? Sounds sketchy to me. Plus based on that move set, there is nothing wall like about it. Sounds better being offensive. Also, as poster said above me, cut the captivate, if you really want to ruin somebody's day replace that captivate with swagger. Also IMO, Solarbeam is way overrated, barely ever gets the job done, even if combined with sunny day move or ability.

Overall for a wall pokemon you're better off attempting it with a Magcargo if your going with fire specifically.

Also from one Cradily lover to another, I must say, just stick to the good wall pokemon.

Cradily

Fossil merchant
Years
Vrai - Thanks pal, yeah Captitive is just a waste of a move slot, so what i am thinking is a double status instead, Toxic, Protect/Flamethrower, Solorbeam, Will o Wisp, Tyranitar would surely be crippled with burn, but with all the lum berry users these days, maybe another solution? I think Ninetales would be a better lead with its ability anyhow, good special defence and speed, so i will experiment online with a ev spread of 252hp 200 SpD 56 Spe with it, I will also use a ev spread of 252 SpA and Spe. :)

Snaggle, i love your avatar haha, and admiration, Cradily is actually a very underrated wall, especially the fact he can duel barrier and recover, or lay stealth rocks, or even be decent on a bulky offence!

Anyway onto subject, I do agree with you so will experiment the sets i stated above, if it all works well i will see if i can clone for you lot to try yourselfs, if its possible to clone that is!

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Agreeing with the previous posters about Captivate, Solarbeam isn't much better IMO. Since it could be easily predicted and then Tyranitar/Toed etc could be brought in and make you waste a turn charging. Ninetales comes with a variety of support moves that can be utilized better than Captivate and better offensive moves (not many, mind you) than Solarbeam.

Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, Safeguard, Protect, Hypnosis etc are viable choices for a wall set. With a pretty nifty base 100 special defense it can make a decent special wall. Hypnosis + Toxic/Will-O-Wisp is generally used for a dual-status. As for the nature, Timid is usually preferred, you have a base 100 speed, too! Don't let it go to waste.

As for the item, Leftovers is usually used more, since it provides a bit of recovery and increases its durability, not by much, mind you. Air Balloon is sometimes used, but I'm pretty sure that's on an offensive set since it keeps you immune to ground-type attacks as long as you have it.

The Ev spread should be something along the lines of 252 Hp / 4 SpD / 252 Spe -- Hp increases your durability, speed speaks for itself and don't let the remaining 4 go to waste.

Anyway, experiment with different sets/natures/Ev spreads/items because it's fun to experiment. :) Good luck finding the right set.

Back