• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2019
Woot, infinite tms : D also two questions:
-Will my v3.5.1 save file before the 5th badge (i think) work with v3.7.1?
-If i'm playing this hack via flashcard on 3ds...can i get espeon/umbreon?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Woot, infinite tms : D also two questions:
-Will my v3.5.1 save file before the 5th badge (i think) work with v3.7.1?
-If i'm playing this hack via flashcard on 3ds...can i get espeon/umbreon?
1. Yes, your previous save file will work with this version. Chief among my objectives is to ensure as much save compatibility as possible. Unless I make a note of it, patch away!
2. That depends on if the emulator you're using on your flashcard supports Real-Time Clock. If it does, you should be able to get Espeon and Umbreon as intended.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 6, 2014
I really wanna try your hack but for some reason it won't play on my galaxy 4s.. Ive had no problems playing .zip files through my phones emulator but I think since your files in .ips it won't read it. Any suggestions?

Years
  • Seen Jan 31, 2024
The BW2 Repel System does not work, the prompt appears, but selecting yes does nothing.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I really wanna try your hack but for some reason it won't play on my galaxy 4s.. Ive had no problems playing .zip files through my phones emulator but I think since your files in .ips it won't read it. Any suggestions?
I'm assuming those successful .zip files you speak of just contain ROMs. For IPS patches, extract them from the .zip file. Depending on the emulator, they might work by just renaming the ROM you'll use with the patch (or the patch itself) so the two are the same name. Otherwise you can use a tool to patch the ROM.

Do you still have those reworked GSC sprites?
I still have the sprites that I worked on (Kanto starters and their final evolutions), but I haven't done any extra work beyond that. Why do you ask?

The BW2 Repel System does not work, the prompt appears, but selecting yes does nothing.
What emulator and ROM are you using? I have no problems on my end.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
My Boy! for android and a Fire Red rom from...
Three things:

1. You may want to remove the site name from where found the ROM. You know, legal reasons and stuff. I see that's been resolved.
  2. Start the ROM and see if the word "Presents" appears under the Game Freak logo. If it doesn't, that's the right version. If there are certain quirks about it, though, you may need to get a clean ROM.
  3. I haven't used My Boy!, so I can't speak myself about compatibility. It's pretty reputable, though. Make sure you're using the latest version of it.

Last edited:
Years
I still have the sprites that I worked on (Kanto starters and their final evolutions), but I haven't done any extra work beyond that. Why do you ask?

The reason I ask is because I really don't like the FRLG starters, especially the final starter evolution sprites, they just don't look like their anime counterparts and I was thinking that maybe you could include another optional patch which replaces the starter sprites with your reworked GSC sprites. I would do it myself, but I have no idea how to do it on my Android tablet.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
The reason I ask is because I really don't like the FRLG starters, especially the final starter evolution sprites, they just don't look like their anime counterparts and I was thinking that maybe you could include another optional patch which replaces the starter sprites with your reworked GSC sprites. I would do it myself, but I have no idea how to do it on my Android tablet.
I wouldn't do that, simply because none of the starter sprites are objectively wrong. Remember that the games are supposed to be just that: the games. If there's slight differences in aesthetics between them and the anime, well, then that's normal. And I don't see how the Gen 2 sprites look that much closer to the anime. They certainly don't look like that with the way I redid them for GBA usage.

If I were to replace just the starter sprites, then we'd be heading down a slippery slope. Certainly there are other Pokémon that don't look like their anime counterparts. Would it be best to replace those, too? Even if I found every Pokémon that looks quite different between the two mediums, that wouldn't leave me with that pleasing of a final result. Many of the sprites will have been changed, with many others remaining as they were.

With that in mind, I'm not going to publicly release a patch for changing any Pokémon sprites unless it changes all of them similarly. I'm sorry if this is upsetting to you.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Nice to see this land on RHDN. You've done some great work!

I haven't applied the latest patch yet. Is that image on the first post a new title screen?

I really enjoyed playing through this hack. Will likely play it again. With the WFC going away, I hope someone comes up with a way of dumping the critters I catch here into XY

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Nice to see this land on RHDN. You've done some great work!

I haven't applied the latest patch yet. Is that image on the first post a new title screen?

I really enjoyed playing through this hack. Will likely play it again. With the WFC going away, I hope someone comes up with a way of dumping the critters I catch here into XY
Thanks, I'm just hoping it wasn't too soon to put it up there!

The new title screen is part of the Catch 'em All patch and is featured in the full patch. This is meant to signify that all significant differences between "versions" have been removed and that the two games are now one entity. I'm just fortunate that this was a remake of the original games, because then I'd have to had come up with a good title for the game and made new art for it if it were any of the later games. :)

Also, Pokémon Bank doesn't use WFC (neither does Poké Transfer), so you'll still be able to transfer your creatures from as far back as 3rd Gen to the 6th Gen games after it shuts down in about a month. You just won't be able to use the Global Trade System and Wi-Fi Club/Plaza in the 4th and 5th Gen games.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Also, Pokémon Bank doesn't use WFC (neither does Poké Transfer), so you'll still be able to transfer your creatures from as far back as 3rd Gen to the 6th Gen games after it shuts down in about a month. You just won't be able to use the Global Trade System and Wi-Fi Club/Plaza in the 4th and 5th Gen games.
Oh, I already have. lol Took a good bit of time.

I meant, in the future should I replay your hack again

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
I tried to trade some Pokemon from this game, in order to evolve them, and I noticed that the trading system for this game is malfunctioning. It does the trade animation, but just stops at the end without going back to the trade menu. The music keeps playing, but the game won't respond.

At first, I thought it was an emulation problem, but when I tried trading between two different GBA Pokemon Roms, I noticed something off. Rom A (Not this game) was showing the normal "Communication standby" message, but Rom B (This game) just showed "Take good care of pokemon". Also, when the connection was lost, only Rom A reacted. Rom B just kept playing the music and showing the same image.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I tried to trade some Pokemon from this game, in order to evolve them, and I noticed that the trading system for this game is malfunctioning. It does the trade animation, but just stops at the end without going back to the trade menu. The music keeps playing, but the game won't respond.

At first, I thought it was an emulation problem, but when I tried trading between two different GBA Pokemon Roms, I noticed something off. Rom A (Not this game) was showing the normal "Communication standby" message, but Rom B (This game) just showed "Take good care of pokemon". Also, when the connection was lost, only Rom A reacted. Rom B just kept playing the music and showing the same image.
I've confirmed your problem. I tracked it down to an issue with the Catch 'em All patch...which is terribly ironic. I'll try my best to figure out what it is and will upload a bug fix as soon as I figure out what the problem is.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Okay, new post for some news on the matter. It's good, but also unfortunate for a lot of hackers if true.

I've tracked down the trading issue in the Catch 'em All patch. As it turns out, it was the Real Time Clock that broke trading in the game. What does this mean? Well, unless I did something really wrong when using the tool, DNS breaks trading. I'm not sure what I'll do about the matter right now. It's crucial for players to obtain Espeon and Umbreon as they are normally gotten, but, at the same time, losing the ability to trade with others is a pretty big problem. I hope someone can investigate the issue further.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not certain that it is DNS. It may actually be the fault of VBA Link. When I inserted the RTC to a different offset, it made it so I was unable to save the game or load any saves for it. As far as I know, RTC may not actually break trading. It'd just be that VBA Link does a terrible job at interpreting that specific code.

Seeing as that branch of VBA is no longer in development, and that VBA-M will likely never add trading support, I have no means as of right now to test if DNS actually is the problem. If someone who has a flash cart is able to test this, that would be wonderful.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
I figured out a temporary solution for using VBALink to trade evolve. I used an un-patched Fire Red ROM with the save file from Throwback to trade evolve my Pokemon, then opened the save file with the Throwback-patched ROM. I had to rename my Pokemon at the Name Rater, but other than that, it worked fine.

Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2015
Patching via MultiPatch on MAC doesnt work for this.

Continuously states "Failed to apply IPS patch."
A ton of other people are having the same issue. Don't know if you can do anything about it.

Was looking forward to playing this... oh well. Onto the next one.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 11, 2024
Patching via MultiPatch on MAC doesnt work for this.

Continuously states "Failed to apply IPS patch."
A ton of other people are having the same issue. Don't know if you can do anything about it.

Was looking forward to playing this... oh well. Onto the next one.

Rename the patch to something without any international characters in it (e.g., test.ips).

That solved the problem for me . . .

For some reason, Multipatch throws a fit whenever it sees international characters . . .

Back