• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2012
Ya know, i tried that too during my leveling grind. But i realized. If you go by XP per minute, hunting strictly Audino's is quite inefficient. I did that for a good 2 hours, and then another 2 hours of just running through the same grass and taking random battles. And i easily doubled, if not tripled my XP intake in the same amount of time. I think it was more like tripled.

EDIT: Oooo! My thread got merged! Cool with me :) Should it have been here to begin with i guess? My apologies

Last edited:

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Is it possible to have level 100 6 on 6 wifi battles without any gym badges? Or will I have to play through the whole game?

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
So then I can do 6 on 6, right?
Oh you poor thing never got an answer. Don't worry Kaori is here.

Anyway, yes! You will be able to after you beat the first gym and obtain the Pal Pad. Just keep in mind it sort of sucks, because there is no set LV 50 or LV 100, you actually have to train to the level. u_u

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2012
My first breeding experiment, advice/suggestions requested

So this is my first time ever breeding a pokemon in ANY game, and its happening in Pokemon Black. I have done some reading up on Serebii and understand most of what i CAN do. My main issue right now, is what SHOULD i do?

For instance, i've already hatched out my first 3 eggs. They were Kabtuo's since the guy in the cave gave me multiples and both sexes at that. I know the mother has Battle Armor which from what i can tell is a great ability. While the other has swift swim.. Im assuming its a decent ability, if i set him up with rain dance.

I would like to try maxing out there IV's and getting a good Nature on them.

My issue here, is i have no clue what is a good Nature for Kabuto. Or if Kabuto even is a decent pokemon to start breeding for a perfect one. He does seem to have decent defense since i was able to get a 31 on his defense IV.

So my questions are -

1 - What is the fastest way to achieve max IV's from breeding? What items are required, and where do i acquire those items in game?
2 - What Nature's are best for what roles? And what role does Kabuto play best? Is he even a decent pokemon to work on?
3 - If you were brand new to breeding, with the information you know now suddenly implanted in your head, what would be your first few breeding projects?

Please only answer these questions with Gen V poke that are available with capture (Not trade) in Pokemon Black(Unova). As i do not wish to deal with the trading for now. I want a basic jist of it, with some successful Unova breedings done before expanding.

For any that answer, Thank you in advance for your patience and assistance

Chris AKA PokeViper

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
So this is my first time ever breeding a pokemon in ANY game, and its happening in Pokemon Black. I have done some reading up on Serebii and understand most of what i CAN do. My main issue right now, is what SHOULD i do?

For instance, i've already hatched out my first 3 eggs. They were Kabtuo's since the guy in the cave gave me multiples and both sexes at that. I know the mother has Battle Armor which from what i can tell is a great ability. While the other has swift swim.. Im assuming its a decent ability, if i set him up with rain dance.

I would like to try maxing out there IV's and getting a good Nature on them.

My issue here, is i have no clue what is a good Nature for Kabuto. Or if Kabuto even is a decent pokemon to start breeding for a perfect one. He does seem to have decent defense since i was able to get a 31 on his defense IV.

So my questions are -

1 - What is the fastest way to achieve max IV's from breeding? What items are required, and where do i acquire those items in game?
2 - What Nature's are best for what roles? And what role does Kabuto play best? Is he even a decent pokemon to work on?
3 - If you were brand new to breeding, with the information you know now suddenly implanted in your head, what would be your first few breeding projects?

Please only answer these questions with Gen V poke that are available with capture (Not trade) in Pokemon Black(Unova). As i do not wish to deal with the trading for now. I want a basic jist of it, with some successful Unova breedings done before expanding.

For any that answer, Thank you in advance for your patience and assistance

Chris AKA PokeViper
1. I'm not sure about your first part of the question, but you'll have to keep resetting for one of your parents to have good IVs in the stats you want. The needed items are:
-Everstone (if a parent holds this, there is an increased chance of its nature being passed down to the offspring)
-Power items (if a parent holds this, there is an increased chance that its IV will be passed down):
-Weight (HP)
-Bracer (Attack)
-Belt (Defense)
-Lens (Special Attack)
-Band (Special Defense)
-Anklet (Speed)

The Everstone is scattered throughout Unova. Wild Roggenrola and Boldore sometimes hold it, and they can also be found in dust clouds. The Power items can be bought at the Battle Subway for 16 BP each.

2. Here are the recommended natures for each role:
-physical attacker: Adamant/Jolly
-special attacker: Modest/Timid
-mixed attacker: Hasty/Naive
-physical wall/tank: Bold (if it specializes in special attacks)/Impish (if it specializes in physical attacks)/Relaxed (if it uses both offenses)
-special wall/tank: Calm (if it specializes in special attacks)/Careful (if it specializes in physical attacks)/Sassy (if it uses both offenses)
-Trick Room attacker/bulky mixed attacker: Brave/Quiet (0 Speed IV for Trick Room attackers)
-anything that uses Gyro Ball as one of its attacks: Brave/Relaxed/Sassy with a 0 Speed IV

3. As a somewhat experienced breeder, I suggest you breed 1 male and 1 female Pokemon of the same species together as practice, since there is a better chance of you getting an egg if both parents are the same species. Another method is to use Pokemon with different OTs/IDs as parents. Pokemon with different OTs/IDs also have an increased chance of you getting an egg. The latter only applies as long as both parents share the same egg group or if one of the parents is Ditto.

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2012
1. I'm not sure about your first part of the question, but you'll have to keep resetting for one of your parents to have good IVs in the stats you want. The needed items are:
-Everstone (if a parent holds this, there is an increased chance of its nature being passed down to the offspring)
-Power items (if a parent holds this, there is an increased chance that its IV will be passed down):
-Weight (HP)
-Bracer (Attack)
-Belt (Defense)
-Lens (Special Attack)
-Band (Special Defense)
-Anklet (Speed)

The Everstone is scattered throughout Unova. Wild Roggenrola and Boldore sometimes hold it, and they can also be found in dust clouds. The Power items can be bought at the Battle Subway for 16 BP each.

2. Here are the recommended natures for each role:
-physical attacker: Adamant/Jolly
-special attacker: Modest/Timid
-mixed attacker: Hasty/Naive
-physical wall/tank: Bold (if it specializes in special attacks)/Impish (if it specializes in physical attacks)/Relaxed (if it uses both offenses)
-special wall/tank: Calm (if it specializes in special attacks)/Careful (if it specializes in physical attacks)/Sassy (if it uses both offenses)
-Trick Room attacker/bulky mixed attacker: Brave/Quiet (0 Speed IV for Trick Room attackers)
-anything that uses Gyro Ball as one of its attacks: Brave/Relaxed/Sassy with a 0 Speed IV

3. As a somewhat experienced breeder, I suggest you breed 1 male and 1 female Pokemon of the same species together as practice, since there is a better chance of you getting an egg if both parents are the same species. Another method is to use Pokemon with different OTs/IDs as parents. Pokemon with different OTs/IDs also have an increased chance of you getting an egg. The latter only applies as long as both parents share the same egg group or if one of the parents is Ditto.

What i meant was, i guess i assumed that you could pass down IV's definitively from parent to offspring with those power items. So then is there some trick to use to try and get an egg that hatches out with great IV's?

Thank you very much for the information in regards to roles. Would Kabuto(Or his evolution) fill any of those roles decently? Or is he just considered a trophy catch? As right now i know im just experimenting, but it'd be nice if i was experimenting with something that is useful.

My other question still stands,
If you were brand new to breeding but with the knowledge you have now, what Unova Pokemon would you be interested in working on?
I ask because i want to know what seasoned experts or even well knowledged casuals see in comparison to what a newb like myself see's.

Open your minds to a newb, let me in! SHOW ME YOUR SECRETS! LOL

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
What i meant was, i guess i assumed that you could pass down IV's definitively from parent to offspring with those power items. So then is there some trick to use to try and get an egg that hatches out with great IV's?

Thank you very much for the information in regards to roles. Would Kabuto(Or his evolution) fill any of those roles decently? Or is he just considered a trophy catch? As right now i know im just experimenting, but it'd be nice if i was experimenting with something that is useful.

My other question still stands,
If you were brand new to breeding but with the knowledge you have now, what Unova Pokemon would you be interested in working on?
I ask because i want to know what seasoned experts or even well knowledged casuals see in comparison to what a newb like myself see's.

Open your minds to a newb, let me in! SHOW ME YOUR SECRETS! LOL

-Okay, I'll try to answer this the best I can: try to get your parents to have good IVs in the stats you want, then breed from there. In your case, you want to breed Kabuto. If one of the parents has a good Attack IV, give it the Power Bracer. If one of the parents has the nature you want, give it the Everstone.
-Kabutops is commonly seen as a physical attacker. Look at its Smogon article and you'll see why.
-I still don't get your third question, but here's my shot at it again: Try to breed a a Scraggy that knows Drain Punch. You can do this by breeding a male Mienfoo/Mienshao that knows the move with a female Scraggy. Preferably, both parents must have different IDs/OTs so that you get an egg more easily. If I missed the point here, sorry.

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2012
-Okay, I'll try to answer this the best I can: try to get your parents to have good IVs in the stats you want, then breed from there. In your case, you want to breed Kabuto. If one of the parents has a good Attack IV, give it the Power Bracer. If one of the parents has the nature you want, give it the Everstone.
-Kabutops is commonly seen as a physical attacker. Look at its Smogon article and you'll see why.
-I still don't get your third question, but here's my shot at it again: Try to breed a a Scraggy that knows Drain Punch. You can do this by breeding a male Mienfoo/Mienshao that knows the move with a female Scraggy. Preferably, both parents must have different IDs/OTs so that you get an egg more easily. If I missed the point here, sorry.

Ok, so let me see if i get this right

-Kabuto F has the Adamant Nature, Battle Armor ability with decent IV's
-Kabuto M has Calm Nature, Swift Swim ability with an Attack IV of 31
-If i give Kabuto F the Everstone, and Kabuto M the Power Bracer the baby is highly likely to have an Adamant Nature and Attack IV of 31?

Is there anyway to pass abilities also? Or is that strictly a luck chance? It seems they can only have Swift Swim or Battle Armor cause none of the babies have had any other Ability.

As for my 3rd question, basically it was just a request to see what other people would do if they had just started. Was a "Create a Wish List" idea basically. I'd see what others were interested in breeding, and then mess around with those projects some to get a better feel of what i wanted myself.

As for the OT/ID's, if im not using different trainer pokemon, can the ID's somehow be different to increase the egg chance?

From what i understand the system checks every 256(or 255) steps. I've found running from one side to the other of the road right in front of the Day Care is 160 total steps from exterior cave wall to the west, to the tree line in the east. So i can just do that as many times as necessary till I receive an egg.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Ok, so let me see if i get this right

-Kabuto F has the Adamant Nature, Battle Armor ability with decent IV's
-Kabuto M has Calm Nature, Swift Swim ability with an Attack IV of 31
-If i give Kabuto F the Everstone, and Kabuto M the Power Bracer the baby is highly likely to have an Adamant Nature and Attack IV of 31?

Is there anyway to pass abilities also? Or is that strictly a luck chance? It seems they can only have Swift Swim or Battle Armor cause none of the babies have had any other Ability.

As for my 3rd question, basically it was just a request to see what other people would do if they had just started. Was a "Create a Wish List" idea basically. I'd see what others were interested in breeding, and then mess around with those projects some to get a better feel of what i wanted myself.

As for the OT/ID's, if im not using different trainer pokemon, can the ID's somehow be different to increase the egg chance?

From what i understand the system checks every 256(or 255) steps. I've found running from one side to the other of the road right in front of the Day Care is 160 total steps from exterior cave wall to the west, to the tree line in the east. So i can just do that as many times as necessary till I receive an egg.

1. There's a good chance this will happen, yes.
2. The ability the offspring gets depends on chance.
3. For me, I'd start by transferring over some Pokemon from Gen IV (like the older starter Pokemon) and breeding them in B/W. Naturally, they'd have different OTs/IDs so that you get an egg more easily.
4. The Pokemon you get from the in-game trades have different OTs/IDs, so they're a good start to breed with.
5. That's what I normally do. Just keep cycling left to right in Route 3 till the Day Care man lets you know about the egg.

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2014
How to play as pokemon

I've seen people on wifi battles playing as Quagsires and Venasaurs sprites..I am really intrested in how to do it .. Any explanations..Ive benn searching for that kinda thread from like half an hour but nothing :) hope i get an answer here :)

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2013
Is it possible to easily transfer pokemon between HeartGold/SoulSilver and Black/White to get pokemon onto Pokemon White?

I am having trouble with registering an account with the global linkage of Dream World.. I've tried several usernames,but each one was deemed "Illegal Issues" What is the correct way to register,so that I can access Dream World?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Is it possible to easily transfer pokemon between HeartGold/SoulSilver and Black/White to get pokemon onto Pokemon White?

I am having trouble with registering an account with the global linkage of Dream World.. I've tried several usernames,but each one was deemed "Illegal Issues" What is the correct way to register,so that I can access Dream World?

For 1) Transfer and Trade, that's it. You have to beat the game before you can transfer from Gen 4 to Gen 5 though.

For 2) You have to use your Pokemon.com username and password. If you don't have one you have to sign up there and log in that way.

TogeticDude

Ghost Aficianado
Years
  • Age 27
  • Orre
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
A question about training

Is it bad to just rush the Elite Four to train lower level Pokemon with an EXP share? I heard if you rush leveling, the stats suffer.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Is it bad to just rush the Elite Four to train lower level Pokemon with an EXP share? I heard if you rush leveling, the stats suffer.
Right, but this is referring to Effort Values.

Every time your Pokemon defeats an enemy Pokemon, it also gains effort values. Different enemies grant different effort values (usually, if the opponent has high speed or high attack, it will grant an effort value in speed or an effort value in attack, respectfully). There's a list somewhere on Bulbapedia on which Pokemon grant which effort values. Effort values increase the stat overall. You will begin to see results in mid-maturity (level 40s and above?).

For example, if you defeat one Patrat, your Pokemon (those participated in the battle, even if switched out, and those holding the exp share) will gain 1 effort value in attack. Patrat specializes in attack and is a first stage Pokemon. If you defeat one Raichu, your Pokemon will gain 3 effort values in speed. Raichu specializes in speed and is a third stage Pokemon.

If you train via Elite 4, and after defeating the first (fully evolved) Pokemon, the level 1 newborn Pokemon with Exp Share will jump to level 20 but will gain probably 2-3 effort values depending on the enemy.

If you had defeated a bunch of level 2 Patrat instead, then at level 20, the newborn may have some dozens of effort values by then.

If you don't mind the Pokemon having fewer EVs by the time they get to a higher level, go ahead and use the Elite 4. If you want them to reach their max stat potential, start EV training wisely and early.

EV training guide: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=6524881&postcount=6

Years
I need some help, I think I've encountered an annoying bug. I can't rename my own pokemon!

I bred and trained a haunter which I then traded to and back from my Japanese game to evolve him and realised because he evolved on my Japanese copy, his name is Japanese. So I went to rename it and the name rater is all previous owner crap, but I am the owner!
Even if I try to rename him in my Japanese game he still says about the previous owner and won't let me rename him. Da faq is dis.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
caluating ev points

There are two things. I am raising a gible from lv1 with Lonely nature. I see multiple guides for Ev calculation but I guess Im not sure what it all means. I want my Gible to rock atk and speed with Sp def accent to it with it being somewhat vein. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. It is also equipped with macho brace. Does that really work? Brace

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Have you read over this guide? It's kinda simplistic imo and explained it easily enough to be. However, I'll just explain to you!

Okay so for attack, go to route 1 - look for Patrat and Lillipup (being all you can find). Make sure you have a Power Bracer item (found at subway iirc) as well as PokeRus and then battle them 15 times, then remove the item and battle once more. That means attack is done! For speed go find either Woobat or Blitzle, both early on and use a Power Anklet and follow the same process. For Special Defense, battle Frillish four times iirc and you'll have maxed out your stats in attack/speed and special defense. :) Either way merging to Quick Questions in case you have any further questions!

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Have you read over this guide? It's kinda simplistic imo and explained it easily enough to be. However, I'll just explain to you!

Okay so for attack, go to route 1 - look for Patrat and Lillipup (being all you can find). Make sure you have a Power Bracer item (found at subway iirc) as well as PokeRus and then battle them 15 times, then remove the item and battle once more. That means attack is done! For speed go find either Woobat or Blitzle, both early on and use a Power Anklet and follow the same process. For Special Defense, battle Frillish four times iirc and you'll have maxed out your stats in attack/speed and special defense. :) Either way merging to Quick Questions in case you have any further questions!
Patrat, Lillipup are they the only ones that have Atk EV or are there others? Because Ive gotten lists that give ev points from which pokemon. Also when will I know the Evs are sticking? Ive been battling wild pokemon since level one. Also Macho Does double EV correct? Also I used the vitamins and only could use 7 of them

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back