• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen How long did it take for you to beat Pokemon R/B/Y?

MattyJ

Serial Procrastinator
Years
I've got 16:37 on the clock in my current Red Version save file (on GBA Player), which was the autosave after defeating the Elite Four. 15 Pokemon Caught. My party:
Jolteon (LV53) - hero of the E4.
Charizard (LV41) - Never chosen Charizard before, so thought I'd give it a try!
Pidgeot (LV41) - Hardly used in the E4, sadly! Not much use for Flying types in Gen I after Erika...
Dugtrio (LV43) - Love the speed on this bad boy.
Lapras (LV48) - Ice beam got me past Lance.
Hypno (LV45) - never used Drowzee/Hypno before this playthrough; a pleasant surprise!

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
I've completed it...well don't really remember but...yeah now I'm sure, I finished it around...a week? Yeah a week.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
I don't remember how much time exactly I had spent on my cartridge when I beat the game for the first time. But I remember being embarased about having 70 hours of play time on one elite four competionist while I was training my pokemon up to finish my dex.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
The first time I played Blue I probably clocked in well over 80 hours before I finally beat it. A good amount of that time was spent trying to get past the old dude laying in the road in Viridian.

The latest playthrough was probably 20-25 hours and I didn't catch anything more than what I wanted. It wasn't that eventful except I REALLY wanted a Dewgong.

dragonfly_dust

Look at my avatar! Nuff said.
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
45 hours...mostly because I kept level grinding EVERY pokemon I caught.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
It took me about 35-40 hours to defeat the entire game. When I first got the game when it was released in 1998, though, I was addicted and defeated the game in like 24 hours. xD

Years
Ohohoho, here's a good one.

So, when I turned 6, my Mom got me Pokémon Yellow for my birthday. I was crazy about the cards and the anime, so the games were the next thing for me to become addicted to.

I've posted this story about 264534 times on this site now, so I'm going to cut it short and say it took 4 years to complete Yellow, entirely because of my on/off basis of playing it. :P I at least completed Gold in this 4 year period, became addicted, and didn't play Yellow for a long time.
So it's not that it took me four years, it's just I took a lot of long breaks :P

Years
for my 5th birthday I got a GBC with Pokemon Yellow,Red and Blue (at the time my parents/familly didn't knew that they're all basicly the same ) I was stuck at Rock Tunnel/Lavender town, 2 years later I got Gold and later Silver they were a bit easier but I couldn't finish them either, It was until I heard about the release of FRLG that I decided to finish RBYGSC because a friend told me that it's going to be a sequel to those games and I didn't want to buy FRLG unless I finished the all... and what did I get.. everything I did the whole time but then in better screen and for some reason I still loved it and played it as a freak. I chose Leafgreen so that I had all 1st gen starters mascot games

I ended up playing 75 hours before I completed red for the first time and I can say that roughly 10-15 hours was spend in Rock tunnel/Lavender town

Years
  • Seen Dec 3, 2014
For me i just trained my mained pokemon the whole time, and Not catch anything other then hm holders. But if i would be taking my time then id catch everything slowly

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2015
today I could probably do it in about 4-5 hours. when I first played when it first came out about a week.

Years
I honestly don't even know how long it took the first time I played it, since I was so young and didn't know any english. I remember beating Blue though.

If I had to guess, I'd say it took about 50-60 hours of my life.

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2013
Took me roughly 30 hours and I re-played it multiple times afterwards!

today I could probably do it in about 4-5 hours. when I first played when it first came out about a week.

4-5 hours? That'd be incredibly impressive. I doubt anyone could really do that!

Last edited:
Years
The only time I had an opportunity to beat Yellow was when I borrowed my cousin's cartridge, and he had already gotten part way through the game. If I had to guess, I probably got past the Elite Four at about the 50-55 hour mark, with about 2/3rds of it being my own play time.

Back