• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Shiny Technique??? (Horde Battling)???

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 4, 2013
I was playing on Pokemon Y and realized the move/tm Sweet Scent activated Horde battles, which have 5 Pokemon in the battle, wouldn't this up your chances of finding a shiny?

you can use the move over and over to keep activating the hordes

Last edited:

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
In fact, i guess it kinda does, since you can encounter 5 Pokemon at a time. That would speed up the process a little bit more compared to encounter only one Pokemon at a time. I even read on several forums that some people using Sweet Scent to encounter horde battles to "increase" the encounter of getting a wild Shiny Pokemon to appear :) (and that worked for quite a lot of people, but you still need some luck though) ^_^

Pilkie

Pokémon Breeder
Years
Yes this does. People have also been using hoard battles for EV training, I think.

As far as I can tell (and according to other posts on this topic from other forums) the chances of a shiny pokémon appearing in a hoard encounter are the the same as a single pokémon encounter. But since you are battle 5 pokémon at once, you have its like single battling/encounter with that same pokémon 5 times, so your chances should go up.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 4, 2013
ok, finally someone clears some stuff up for me, and I had no idea people were already doing this.

Broncos

Jesus take the wheel
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 2, 2016
In fact, i guess it kinda does, since you can encounter 5 Pokemon at a time. That would speed up the process a little bit more compared to encounter only one Pokemon at a time. I even read on several forums that some people using Sweet Scent to encounter horde battles to "increase" the encounter of getting a wild Shiny Pokemon to appear :) (and that worked for quite a lot of people, but you still need some luck though) ^_^

So, basically Sweet Scenting it increases the overall percentage of encountering shiny Pokes?

Did I get that right?

I actually rarely encounter hordes. How do you boost the likely hood of hordes poppin' up?

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
So, basically Sweet Scenting it increases the overall percentage of encountering shiny Pokes?

Did I get that right?

I actually rarely encounter hordes. How do you boost the likely hood of hordes poppin' up?

With Sweet Scent, it does increase the chance of encountering horde battles.
As far as encountering shinies, it is STILL the rate of 1/8192 per Pokemon, but since you are encountering 5 Pokemon at once instead of 1 wild Pokemon per battle, the chance of encountering a shiny Pokemon in a horde battle slightly increases, as stated earlier, because encountering 5 Pokemon in a battle instead of 1 makes the shiny hunting process speed up a little ^_^ Hope I helped!

Years
When you think about it, it is as likely as the Masuda method wich makes it 5 times more likely to get a shiny pokemon.
Oh, the wonderful world of probabilities...

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 19, 2022
I can attest it helps you get shinies, as I got two shinies within two days and this is the first game I've gotten shinies ever. The first was a wingull, but I was I trying for a mareep, so I started over and did eventually get my mareep. I can say, I did still have to go through many, many, many hordes, but was still quicker for me and worth it as I've never gotten a shiny before this game. I just used sweet scent to keep encounting hordes over and over.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
It does not increase the actual rate, it just lets you encounter the number of pokemon 5 times faster. So let's say 8000. Instead of 8000 single encounters and might get a shiny,you only have to do 1600 hoard battles. However, once you complete the National Dex you do, most likely, get the Shiny charm. Because you get the Oval Charm for completing the Kalos Dex. Which will make it easier to encounter shinies even more. Though it is still like a 1 in 2370 chance.

Honey and Sweet Scent have the same effect, once you use, you will encounter a hoard battle. However, there are a few routes where there is no hoard battles. Namely Route 22.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
It does not increase the actual rate, it just lets you encounter the number of pokemon 5 times faster. So let's say 8000. Instead of 8000 single encounters and might get a shiny,you only have to do 1600 hoard battles. However, once you complete the National Dex you do, most likely, get the Shiny charm. Because you get the Oval Charm for completing the Kalos Dex. Which will make it easier to encounter shinies even more. Though it is still like a 1 in 2370 chance.

Honey and Sweet Scent have the same effect, once you use, you will encounter a hoard battle. However, there are a few routes where there is no hoard battles. Namely Route 22.

I didn't know about this charm. If you were using the shiny charm, 1 in 2370 chance, and then using sweet scent for hordes, wouldn't that mean.. 1 in 474 battles might have a shiny?

BunnyRice

Busy with breed requests! ♥
Years
Is it possible to encounter Hordes in the Friend Safari?

Unfortunately no. I tried using Honey/Sweet Scent in the Safari and as far as I know there is no Horde. One of my Safaris have 3 Pokemon but I only keep encountering 2 of the 3 for 2 hours straight and no 3rd yet appeared. I figured the 3rd might have been a horde so I tested it and it got the message "There's a time and place for everything, but now's not the time."

Years
While EV training I cam across a shinny Gulpin, it didn't take me very long to get it but like I said I wasn't trying to get a shinny I was EV training.

Still though I keep holding out for another one, maybe Vanilite? Or a Bellsprout? Those would be cool EV training hordes to get a shinny in.

Why did it have to be Gulpin?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 31, 2014
interesting. i'm really wanting a shiny slowpoke and ik those are found in hordes. guess ill give this a try see if i have any better luck than chaining

Years
When you think about it, it is as likely as the Masuda method wich makes it 5 times more likely to get a shiny pokemon.
Oh, the wonderful world of probabilities...

Well, yes. But it's not quite as big a jump as you would expect. Instead of the regular 1/8192 chance, it becomes 5/8192. So still <.001%

Back