• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Advance-Text : Beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circus.

Years
Hello everybody, in this tutorial I will show you how to edit the text that shows up in a game.
Like the Professor Oak's Introduction at the beginning of the game.

Difficulty:

Beginners

Requirements:

A Clean Fire Red ROM (Backup, Just in case)
Advance-Text (Download in attachments)

How-to:

Open Advance-Text and you will notice that in the screen there are multiple buttons.
Open ROM, Exit, Search, Tools, About

Click on Open ROM and choose your ROM, in this case I chose Pokemon Fire Red.

You will notice that in the center box there are many options (Introduction, Pallet Town, Your House)

Choose any one of them, then there will be more options to choose from, I chose This World ... in Introduction.

In the right box there will be the Greeting and to edit just simply select all the text and delete them and type whatever you like.

Example

To Save:

This is pretty self-explanatory simply click on "Save Text" and press okay then test it out in your ROM.

4tr686.png

Files Used:

VisualBoyAdvance
Advance-Text
Adobe Photoshop CS3
Pokemon Fire Red ROM
TinyPic

PS, also posted in TPB.

Surf

Years
  • Age 29
  • Rust
  • Seen Jul 31, 2011
You should really explain the repoint feature and how it shouldn't be used
Any way nice tut exept i prefer scripting

Years
  • Seen Feb 28, 2011
I prefered scripting too... but when you have entered text on the scripts and save it, to avoid glitch is to replace the text with the same numbers of character which was already written to the rom or lesser word character then before.

For example, you type in "Hello, My name is OAK"... and change it to "Hello, my name is PROFESSOR OAK", it will cause gibberish text or glitches in some other events elsewhere in the game, which none of us do not want.

So... that's when Advance Text came about.
With Advance Text, you can apply a longer the word characters and it has a function to repoint, which is a very very helpful function incase of typos or grammer mistakes fixing.

I have to agree on Mac_Mini, the author of this post should explain more on how to use Advance Text. Especially on how to search Text which is not listed in the AdvText listing and how to bookmark it.

That will be a definite help for the beginners.

D-Trogh

Dead
Years
Your 'Files used' list is unnecessary (Original comment was a little, erm, different XD)

I made this earlier today for a member on an other forum..
316p5s8.png

Years
  • Seen Feb 28, 2011
Thumbs up D-Trogh!

Note to beginners:
As based on the image created by D-Trogh, instead of searching "Hello", search for "Hello, stranger!" instead. You'll get a better and direct result that way.

Searching for one word will result more and a little confusing.

Eg: If you wanted to edit the starting introduction, search for OAK, you'll get over 10 results which is not the starting introduction. But if you search for "Hello, my name is OAK", you'll get an immediate result of the starting introduction.

Shaymew

likes when Dunsparce Glares
Years
were exactly can you download advance text because this is exactly what i need

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
were exactly can you download advance text because this is exactly what i need

Look in the Toolbox. Or, if you can't find it there, try PHO, and then move on to Google.

Ki77y666

I'm with stupid ^
Years
I need help it is sapost to say

In the world which you are about to
enter, you will embark on a grand
adventure with you as the hero.

Awh how many times have you heard
this crap? I meen come on change the
story already. Don't you agree?
Enough is enough.

but when i test is it only says the first 2 lines wat am i doing wrong?

ps i am editing the message before oak

jokercard333

Dream Eater
Years
Hello... Ummm Ok When Using Advance Map and Advance Text Say You Make Two Person Events And Want To Add Script To Both Of Them. You Go To Insert New Dialog And Add From Text, Type In The Message For The First One And Set The Script Offset (In Advance Map) Where It Needs To Be. It Works Correctly. But Say You Add The Second Script And Follow The Same Steps Exactally, It Should Work Right? But It Doesn't Instead You Get Both Of The Scripts But One Of Them Is All Jumbled With Bits Of The Other One... WHAT IS GOING ON? I Have Searched For This Answer Forever, But Noone Seems To Cover Creating New Script From Scratch In Their A-Text Tutorials. If Anyone Could Help Me With This I Will Indiscrimanantly Love Them FOREVER!!!!! or Not What Ever's Cooler With Them haha.

hojay

Guy Who is Awesomerer than You
Years
I need help, when I make a new dialogue thing and put it into my game on Advance Map, then play it on a rom, all it shows is random symbols. How do I fix this?

Years
Same problem as CliveKoopa.. load ruby and only get the dialogue up too Route 101.. can anyone make a complete Advance-Text Offset-file like the ones found in the ini folder of Advance text or guide me in the right direction.. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back