• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fat people are jolly

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
Years
I don't have any other "funny" stereotypes to begin with :/

Do you like to be labelled and stereotyped by others? Or do you like labeling/stereotyping others?

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
I don't see a purpose for stereotyping at all.

All stereotyping does is mount pressure on non-conformists to conform, lest they be pushed to the ethereal regions of society, and cause the suppression of thoughts and opinions for fear of being cast away.

I despise being stereotyped / labelled and in turn I despise stereotyping / labelling others; everyone's different and I don't feel that an assumption by society of how X group behaves is very constructive.

Years
It's constructive for the perceiver because it allows us to quickly react to novel instances by placing them into pre-existing schemas. But yeah, not too useful.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I hate stereotypes, but I always find myself laughing internally when I meet someone who really reinforces one because it feels like they're setting humanity back a step. Like, if your school is known for being the most redneck school around and all of the students are labeled as stereotypical rednecks, then why on earth would you hold a pig-wrestling fundraiser?

Crux

Evermore
Years
Eh, I don't believe in a mass produced human. Period.

They can be correct sometimes, but you should never really just assume that somebody is a certain way because they partially fit one.
I mean, not all asian people know each other...

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
not all asian people know each other
This made me laugh.

Some stereotypes can get annoying if people assume they're accurate for you.
I'm so tempted to point one out that people often label me with, but then it would just happen here, as well.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
Stereotypes I just hate them, my cousin has Blonde hair and she just blames every stupid thing she does on the "blonde moment" thing.

yes I just hate them with all of my heart.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
Years
I for one hate being stereotyed. Lilke for an instance, when people in the internet saw where I came from, they would like "Ooh, a Russian? So you're supposed to be like iron fisted?". For the part it is correct because of our very conspicous history but seeing people reacting like that gets on my nerves. Pisses me off. But thankfully not all people.
Ironically, I stereotype/label people in my head.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
They are perfectly valid for the reason BlahISuck mentions; problems only arise when they are pre-emptively taken to be true.

I notice two echelons within human society: those whom take to their assumptions, accept them as fact and act accordingly hostile to anything that falls without the purview of their predisposed normalcy; and those whom make them as we all do but are ready to dispel them once matters otherwise prove true. I can't necessarily presume this observation is correct, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a genetic basis for this.

Years
Eh, I don't believe in a mass produced human. Period.

They can be correct sometimes, but you should never really just assume that somebody is a certain way because they partially fit one.
I mean, not all asian people know each other...

In Toronto, at least in Scarborough they do :P. It's amazing how the asian friends I make know all my other asian friends from random school/extracurricular connection. Stereotypes are actually pretty accurate in our community because most of us immigrated - and even if we're born here, we might've been born recently after our parents immigrated or we're the second child. As a result we all have very similar experiences and it doesn't help that we all live/lived in the same area for our childhoods, so our mutual experiences reinforces one another's.

Stereotypes are stupid when they're used very ignorantly. I think it's all about the social context - it can be an expression of pride, or be a really, really, really awkward joke.

)-)))''z

fish
Years
  • Seen May 4, 2013
If you don't believe stereotypes are accurate, you don't believe in cultural differences.

Don't take it to heart, most stereotypes are endearing and only slightly offensive.

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
Years
I like to label stereotypes, some times my friend and I would even pull off a stereotypical surfer dude voice and just yell "bruh, dude, and gnarly" over and over. Though I'm okay with being labelled myself.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Sometimes I'll sit and have a coffee with one of my friends and we'll sit and watch people and make up back stories for them just by the way they look. It's kind of like a creative writing exercises but a lot of stereotyping comes into play. It's not mean-spirited, it's just a bit of fun.

But yeah, stereotypes can be fun. Jews are cheap and black people are always late. Own it and nobody can touch you.

Back