• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Microsoft Is Removing Xbox One DRM

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Playstation + is still gonna be a mad contender with Xbox Live. While + probably won't have as many benefits as it did in years past (due to it being required now), it's not only cheaper than Live, but also offers real and attractive freebies and bigger/more discounts, as well as the benefit of still being able to use Applications that, for Xbox, would require Gold to use.

But I don't really see this as any reason to jump the PS4-ship. It still has more First Party IPs and a stronger system for less, both in terms of system pricing and the online service (with better incentives for the latter).

I'm not really trying to promote the Playstation 4 or anything; heck, I'm not sure if I'm even buying it myself, but I think that one should consider more than just those restrictions when considering the Xbone. This is largely because I was mostly dissatisfied with the fanbase of the 360, with their usual two reasons for having one over a PS3 being that "there was no party chat on PS3" or that "All of their friends had an Xbox 360", partially for the previous reason. Exclusives hardly ever came up (though it was generally hilarious to get them to list off the Xbox exclusives that they knew of, especially when I had to give them some to list). I always considered Xbox 360 fanboys (not necessarily fans in general, just the supposed brand loyalists and brazen defenders) to be the most stubborn of the triumvirate, but seeing them jump ship like that...it was something. It showed me that, if they didn't care about quality before, they certainly would now...but if this is all it takes to make them jump back...well, then I guess no (or little) progress was made.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
My problem is that they apparently thought that was a good idea to begin with. Anyway, I didn't want one to begin with and I still don't want one. While I have nothing against Microsoft, I skipped the PS3 in favor of a 360, so I think it's time to get another PlayStation.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
Thank goodness! They better have changed it, fans like myself were outraged.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Speaking on no clarification for Kinect, Microsoft filed a patent that covers it being able to determine how many people are viewing a movie on the console. As it, while your viewing it - Your watching a movie, and it will know how many people are in the room watching it with you. I don't think this extends to playing games or music with it... Yet.

I haven't read anything on this for a while, but apparently them and the mpaa were kicking around the idea of putting limits on how many people you can have in the room with you when your watching a movie. If it detects more then say... 5 people in a room, it won't let you watch a movie and will instead ask you to purchase a lisense for that movie so you'd be able to view it with that number of people in the room.

Ah, here's a newer article about it.

http://kotaku.com/5958307/this-kinect-patent-is-terrifying-wants-to-charge-you-for-license-violation

Years
883415.gif

That was my reaction above. Seriously, this is such a weak effort to win people back and win their money. They knew that they were in trouble with the backlash from the fans and Microsoft fans moving over to the PS4. I really hope people don't forgive them instantly for this and think they have done it to benefit the fans, because they haven't.

I find it ironic that the Microsoft site says "Your feedback matters", it hasn't mattered before this console, so why does it matter now? Let me change that "Your MONEY matters." This is all about money; every company wants to make the best margins on sales and no one can deny that. But this U-turn on their 'amazing system design' has just made them the laughing stock of the industry to people and gamers who don't believe everything Microsoft say.

It makes the E3 conference look like a massive embarrassment. Everything they said there was 'Xbox One is the future with these features'. So, what now? You conceding the future for your fans? If a company really believes their ideas will pave the way for a new feature of gaming, they aren't going to back track on an idea, unless they know they won't have enough sales money on the Xbox One to actually attempt a future plan.

They made a poor decision with the original idea, they have lost respect from people my making the U-Turn and they just come across as cowards now.

Also:
1010926_484779938273243_1119761010_n.jpg

Last edited:

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
Microsoft knew they would have plummeted had they not changed things around. The fact that they thought of implementing this stuff before and are just now changing it to rival Sony is a bit embarrassing. I wouldn't consider myself an Xbox or Playstation fanboy, but I'm quite sold on the PS4 for now. Although the processors will be similar, the PS4 seems to be quite a bit better in the graphics department. That, along with the PS4 being $100 cheaper, is seriously something to consider when it comes to making a final decision on which system to buy. Microsoft even having thought of adding these ridiculous 'requirements' and 'features', if you can even call them that, is a bit unsettling, and if they don't really reduce that price to match Sony's, I guess they can see themselves competing with more than just Apple this time around.

Years
I know a fair few people are happy about these changes that Microsoft have made; I am too, because it shows all the other companies that the industry and the people DON'T WANT these restrictions forced upon themselves. It isn't healthy to have to, for example, connected to the internet every 24 hours or you can't play games any more. It doesn't make logical and gaming sense.

I really, really hope people who think this is an amazing change, realise that they haven't listened directly to your feedback; they have listened to Gamestop, Amazon and other companies that have been taking pre-orders, or there lack off.
I completely understand that Microsoft have to do what's best for their profit, they are a business after all and I can't knock them for that, but what I knock them for is bigging up this idea, this dream of the future and then, so suddenly, turn their back on it because their pre-orders are bad. If Microsoft felt so strongly over this future, then they should have stuck with it. Maybe that is a contradiction to my sentence on 'MS being a business', but the gaming industry doesn't forget quickly.

The majority of gamers are now saying that it is too late for MS, that they are still the company that tried to force these restrictions on people and are now just bailing on the ideas because of their stock. Not saying everyone feels like this, just what the majority of people are saying.

For me, it doesn't affect me, as I was sold on the PS4 at E3 and I am still not interested in the Xbox One, due to the price and the Kinect still being a gimmick, in my opinion.​

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I still don't want an Xbox One, but this is good news for gamers that these changes were backtracked. I don't like the always on Kinect, but at least they removed the DRM and everything that would hurt the used game market. I can see them getting some sales now, but I'm still quite wary.

Ashygirl

Ash is my bae!
Years
I'm more of a Nintendo fan, so unfortunately I still won't be getting an Xbox one. Although I am glad that they are listening to their fans. Even if it is just to compete with Sony. I'll definitely be getting the PS4 JUST for Kingdom Hearts 3! :)

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
Still wouldn't get it. Microsoft has some screws loose if they ever thought this was a good idea. I'm too concerned that they'll pull a stupid move in the future with the Xbox One, since they've already tried + not a fan of Kinect watching me all the time...

I'll get a PS4 if anything. Microsoft has shown they don't trust me; why would I finance a company like that anymore.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
HAHAHA.. "They are removing DRM".. but they forgot to add "..for now."
It's all a plea.
Basically.. they're fooling people. They're going to re-enable it at a later date, no doubt. If feedback actually mattered, then they would've made the appeal to change and done a lot more damage control at E3.

Just because they said they are not keeping the "Always Online" thing, how are they really gonna flip all that hard-coding around in time for November? I mean.. really? At first it was only going to work in 21 countries and even only 21 states, and now what? How exactly is that policy going to change? How are they going to get ratings in-time for launch? How are they going to properly localize it?
So many things to think about. They can't just flip on a switch and make it available. This ALSO will make a lot of people angry because it means a LOT more overtime work.

I feel sorry for their outsourcing companies. They are going to lose so much money because of horrible executive decisions from higher-ups.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Psh, I still wouldn't buy it. You'll never catch me with a Microsoft gaming system~

Just the fact that they actually tried to implement these features in the first place makes my skin crawl....

Everyone in charge of Microsoft thought those Features were a GOOD idea. That those choices would equal more sales. THAT should make your skin crawl.

They must think that their consumers don't understand the terrible things they wanted to do. They though we we idiots. Surprisingly, the consumers of an internet-connected device actually understood how the internet works.

------

The difference between playing 5 launch titles and playing 990+ 360 Titles was CHOICE. THEY CHOSE TO TAKE YOUR OLD GAMES AWAY. Now they are giving you the ability to play them on XBOXONE.

Years
I'm suprised that no one has mentioned the negatives about this change. I suppose everyone is all in shock in awe about the no DRM thing, but in order to make this change they had to drop the 10 Member Libary system, and the ability to play the game without the disk anywhere as long as your signed into your account.

I really doubt that they will lower the prices without tearing out the Kinect.

Years
I'm suprised that no one has mentioned the negatives about this change. I suppose everyone is all in shock in awe about the no DRM thing, but in order to make this change they had to drop the 10 Member Libary system, and the ability to play the game without the disk anywhere as long as your signed into your account.

I really doubt that they will lower the prices without tearing out the Kinect.

I think it is due to the cons towering over the small benefits of those features. I don't think any one really cares that much about the 10 Member Library System, because it isn't that great in my opinion. While the idea might sound good on paper, it really isn't. If you have 10 people you want to lend the game to, but only one person can play it at any one time, then it just makes it rather frustrating. Yes, you can argue that is the same with a physical copy, but what I am getting at is it isn't any different than what we have now; physical system = Library System.
The reason people might find it frustrating, is due to this system not really improving what is in place.

Each generation, I think it is safe to say, we expect progression in systems, games and how companies handle our interests. While the latter can be taken with a pince of salt, we don't expect to have the same systems in place, which is what the Library System basically is, just on the cloud. For me, that isn't really a significant improvement on the architecture of the design and is just being flashed in our face, because it is on the cloud.​

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
They fixed the console.
PROS:
XBOX One is no longer a hot, steaming pile of ****.

CONS:
XBOX One put its tail between it's legs and backed off. Why did they go to such extremes to showcase those negative features in the first place?

Regardless that they fixed it, they still nearly made XBOX One terrible. It was their ideas and now they just say 'oops.' Not good enough.

Wii U, a somewhat under-rated system has just got another competitior in the wars. People should show some love to this Nintendo console!

PS4 should still beat XB1 because SOny knew what gamers wanted from the beginning; they never had to go "Oh, we screwed up. Let's fix it and have the gamers forgive us instantly! Yaay!"

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
tbh, I was kinda hoping Microsoft never changed their policies last minute, because it would have been hilarious to see how bad the Xbox One sells in comparison to the PS4.

Back