• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
Hey guys, just a quick question regarding the 25 extra ???????? slots for adding extra Pokemon. If I were to make these into new Pokemon, these will not show up in the National PokeDex, right?

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Hey guys, I am completely new to ROM hacking, and I am wondering what are the best programs for hacking DS and GBA games? Thanks :).

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2015
I inserted the Pokemon center into tileset 2 (pallet town) and when I tried to take the tiles that I enserted into tileset 2 I couldn't figure out how to replace my Pokemon center tiles with the original tiles

Okay, I'm going to explain how to do it, and I'll assume you have Advance Map. If you don't, I don't have direct link, but your best bet would be to just get the Pokemon Game Editor by (I believe) Gamer2020, which you can find in the toolbox section, where it is one of the top posts, so it shouldn't be hard to find. Sorry, I can't post a link, but haven't quite gotten to fifteen posts yet :P

Just fire up Advance Map, open your rom, and either go to an existing PC map or to your own PC map (with tilesets 12 and 14 set as tilesets).
There, you'll have to open up the Block Editor (the button that looks like a puzzle piece). Then, on the top menu, you click picture --> save tileset 2. Just give it a name you'll recognize, like PC tileset or something, and save as either .bmp or .dib. After that, you'll want to follow Cello's amazing tutorial, which you'll find slightly towards the bottom of the first page of the Tutorial Section, as I think he explains it better than I ever could (and he has pictures: that helps a lot:P).

Now remember, if you want to easily and exactly replace ALL tiles in the PC with your tiles, without having to do any manual replacing (which mind you, might actually be a good idea, because you might experience some tile errors anyway), you could just search out the PC tiles, and paste your own in the exact location. Personally, I'd just do it the hard way, copy my tiles in the empty room underneath the PC tiles, and then construct my own blocks with that. But that's up to you.

Now, you'll need to remember that inserting tiles isn't enough: Advance Map constructs it's map out of BLOCKS, not tiles. As such, you'll need to either:
A. replace all tiles carefully. If you replace every PC tile with a matching tile of your own (one that would go on the exact same location in a block/map), you won't need to do any block-building of your own. However, as I said, this can be tricky, and I imagine it might lead to block errors.
B. build your own blocks. Slightly (or royally, depends on how much blocks you need to add) tedious, but very effective. This merely requires you to add the tiles to the empty space, after which you'll be able to build your own blocks to your hearts content.

Now, I haven't quite covered everything, probably, so feel free to ask if you still don't get something! (if it's something fairly specific and small, might as well pm me, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to help out)

Hope that was helpful!

@Zupplu
Well, that very much depends on what you want to do. Being fairly new myself, I can't say anything with total certainty, and I honestly don't know anything about DS hacking, but I do know that for GBA, you want to get yourself Advance Map, which you can get (as described above) in the Gamer2020's toolset, Pokemon Game Editor, which has not only two different versions of A-Map, but also a great selection of other tools so you'll be set for a good portion of things you might possibly want to do. Also, I can really advice getting Nameless Sprite Editor 2.X (or NSE 2.X), which lets you edit pretty much all of the pictures in the game. Also, you will need to learn a bit of scripting (because scripting is pretty much what makes anything happen in the game): XSE seems to be standard, and, how nice, it's included in PGE! You might need to look at some tuts though, because I personally didn't find scripting quite self-explanatory. However, a lot can be learned through just looking at stuff through A-Map, so that's always a good place to start :) As for everything else, just take a look around the forums: whatever you want to do, there's probably someone here who's done it, and a good chance there's even an easy tool for it, which let's you do it without having to go through the trouble of ASM, or even Hex editing. For anything more specific, just go ahead and ask away, and good luck hacking!

Last edited:

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Okay, how can i add a new house into a city? I made one on Advance Map, but how do I make the inside and stuff? Thanks.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Hey guys, I am completely new to ROM hacking, and I am wondering what are the best programs for hacking DS and GBA games? Thanks :).

As for the DS games, I believe the best program out there is something called PPRE, or Project Pokemon's ROM editor. It functions for the DS games similarly to how Gamer2020's Pokemon Game Editor functions for the GBA games; As a sort of tool that calls other tools. It's a little clunky, since its only at version 0.14, but it seems to get the job done.

I'm only a noob at DS ROM hacking myself (I just started trying it a few days ago), so my info might be somewhat outdated. I believe that most aspects of the games are editable, but maps seem to be one of the harder, or least documented, aspect of hacking the DS Games. Other useful tools I've seen so far are PokeTex, which edits OWs (in a much more hard-to-understand way, nothing like XSE or Overworld Editor RE), and a program to look at .narc files, which are all the files inside of a DS game (I have NDS Editor).

This meager amount of info I've only gained from poking around here, so Google is your friend in this case. While it might not turn up as many hits as looking up info on GBA tutorials and tools, someone's probably done a fair amount of investigation on whatever you need (as such, the most-known about games are probably D/P, and the least-known about are probably B2/W2).

Good Luck!

Edit: PPRE works best for D/P/Pt, although a couple of its tools work with HG/SS.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

As for the DS games, I believe the best program out there is something called PPRE, or Project Pokemon's ROM editor. It functions for the DS games similarly to how Gamer2020's Pokemon Game Editor functions for the GBA games; As a sort of tool that calls other tools. It's a little clunky, since its only at version 0.14, but it seems to get the job done.

I'm only a noob at DS ROM hacking myself (I just started trying it a few days ago), so my info might be somewhat outdated. I believe that most aspects of the games are editable, but maps seem to be one of the harder, or least documented, aspect of hacking the DS Games. Other useful tools I've seen so far are PokeTex, which edits OWs (in a much more hard-to-understand way, nothing like XSE or Overworld Editor RE), and a program to look at .narc files, which are all the files inside of a DS game (I have NDS Editor).

This meager amount of info I've only gained from poking around here, so Google is your friend in this case. While it might not turn up as many hits as looking up info on GBA tutorials and tools, someone's probably done a fair amount of investigation on whatever you need (as such, the most-known about games are probably D/P, and the least-known about are probably B2/W2).

Good Luck!

Edit: PPRE works best for D/P/Pt, although a couple of its tools work with HG/SS.

Thanks mate definitely look into it. Okay, how can i add a new house into a city? I made one on Advance Map, but how do I make the inside and stuff? But when i go to the door it doesn't open or anything. Thanks in advance.

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2015
Okay, how can i add a new house into a city? I made one on Advance Map, but how do I make the inside and stuff? Thanks.

For starters, every single map you enter is a single map in A-Map. So, the make a new 'inside' for a house, you'll have to make a new map, which you'll have to connect to the outside of your house. Here's how:

First, have a look at the different tabs in A-Map.
For starters, you'll need to confirm what movement permissions you need to have, and what kind of tile for entering (for just you normal house, the entire house needs to be set to 1, and door tiles automatically have the correct function for warps to work), then, you'll have to figure out where to put your 'warp' event: the thing that lets you teleport to another map, in this case the inside of your house. You could just check some other houses (clicking on the 'events' tab will show you all events on a map: people, signs, warps, and scripts), but for doors the general rule is to put them on top of the door tile.

Then, you'll have to select your warp, and tell it where it needs to go: it will ask for a warp #, a map #, and bank #, which really speak for itself. Of course, this means the inside of the house needs to have a warp as well, which (in normal cases) points right back to the one on the outside of your house.

Well, that's pretty much it, hope it helped.

Years
Is it possible to remove a pokemon from the player with poketscript. If so what is the command?

Hey guys, just a quick question regarding the 25 extra ???????? slots for adding extra Pokemon. If I were to make these into new Pokemon, these will not show up in the National PokeDex, right?

I believe they will not show up in the pokedex.

Last edited:
Years
  • MI
  • Seen Jun 29, 2014
Can someone please tell me what's wrong with my script? I'm trying to make this person give me the running shoes. Everything seems to work fine until I actually try to use the running shoes, which I then find out that I don't have it (or it doesn't work).

--------------------------------

#org $script
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x1202
if 0x01 goto $done
message $talk
$talk 1 = Hi \v\h01! You've gotten\nso tall.\pAnyway, I have a gift for you!
boxset 6
fanfare 0x13E
setflag 0x82F
message $recieve
$recieve 1 = You recieved the RUNNING SHOES!
boxset 4
waitfanfare
#raw 0x68
setflag 0x1201
message $cya
$cya 1 = Good luck on your journey!
boxset 6
setflag 0x1202
release
end

#org $done
message $bye
$bye 1 = Make sure you visit your\nmother from time to time.
boxset 6
release
end

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Is it possible to remove a pokemon from the player with poketscript. If so what is the command?

There is no script command for removal of a Pokemon, although it's not very hard to ASM one. If you were to write a routine to do it, you'd basically move the data of the pokemon below the deleted Pokemon up one slot, and then erase the last one by filling it with FFs.

A fair amount of ASM tutorials have tackled this exact request, since its such a common one, so I recommend looking at a few (I'm at work, so I don't have any helpful tutorials bookmarked for you :().

Last edited:
Years

Unfortunately, You can't with scripts.
To remove a Pokémon from the player, it requires ASM hacking.

The only thing you can do is use the command to send Pokémon to the Daycare centre and remove the daycare centre from the game so the player cannot retrieve the removed Pokémon. But to do this, the player does need to have at least 2 Pokémon.

I don't know what the command is on PokeScript as I am an XSE user.

Years
  • Seen Dec 5, 2023
How does one determine the RAM address for a given variable?
Specifically, I'm looking for either the address of LASTRESULT in Ruby or how I can go about finding it.
But if I knew how to determine the pointer for any given variable, that would be just as useful.

I am also correct in understanding that a var is a 2-byte structure, so using writebytetooffset only effects "half" of the variable, yes?

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

How do you set a tile as a warp point? I set the behaviour byte to 69 00but when i go to events and select warp point it doesn't come up! Thanks in advance.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Hi, I got a question is it possible to make Pokemon FireRed read GIF's images as sprites? Can it be done through Hex Edting or ASM? or much complicated manner... :)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2017
I have a question. If you had to create the scene in FR where after you collect your pokemon, Gary battles you. How do i do this from scratch. I know it has something to do with Advancedmap and XSE.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I'm trying to make a map but his comes up when i try to save. Help! Thanks! :)

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
I have a question. If you had to create the scene in FR where after you collect your pokemon, Gary battles you. How do i do this from scratch. I know it has something to do with Advancedmap and XSE.

Actually you can just open scripts and use them as your own... :)

But there's really nothing that much special in the Gary's Tutorial Battle it just uses this command

trainerbattle 0x9 0x(Trainer no. (Hex)) 0x3 @(Message to be displayed when you won) @(Message to be displayed when you lose)

The only peculiar about it is the 0x9 at the first part of it cause normal trainer battles just leave it 0x0...

Here let me give you an example of a script that uses that script... :) (This is in XSE)
(I'll also explain how the scripts work... :))

#dynamic 0x800000 <- This is needed for every script in XSE, with this XSE finds some Free Space needed starting from offset 0x800000

#org @start <- Starts the script
lock <- Locks the NPC to the player
faceplayer <- Makes the NPC face the player
msgbox @hi 0x6 <- Loads the message in the pointer "@hi"
trainerbattle 0x9 0x1 0x0 @win @lose <- Loads the trainerbattle scene, that battles trainer 0x1, @win-loads the Message with the pointer @win when you win against the trainer, @lose-loads the Message with the pointer @lose when you lose to the trainer, (Also not if you didn't edited the trainers in A-trainer it will load the Leader of Team Aqua with a level 5 Ekans.
msgbox @after 0x6 <- Loads the message in the pointer "@after"
fadescreen 0x1 <- Fades the screen to black
hidesprite 0x1 <- Hide's the sprite with the person event no.1
fadescreen 0x0 <- Fades the screen back to normal
setflag 0x1000 <- Set's the flag 0x1000, if you want the event to not happen again, you should put 1000 on the person ID in Advance-Map
release <- Releases the NPC to the player
end <- Ends the script

#org @hi <- Message of @hi
= \v\h06: Hi there \v\h01!\pLet's battle!\p\v\h01: But, I don't know how...\p\v\h06: Don't worry PROF.OAK will\nteach you as we battle...\p\v\h01: Ok, let's do this!

#org @win <- Message of @win
= Wow!, You're great for a begginer!

#org @lose <- Message of @lose
= Woah, that was fun!

#org @after <- Message of @after
= \v\h06: Wow, You're really good\nfor a begginer!\p\v\h01: Thanks!\p\v\h06: Well I'll be going now\nI'll be seeing you later!\p\v\h01: Ok, bye!
Here's the clean script without the explanations if you want to use it... :)
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @hi 0x6
trainerbattle 0x9 0x1 0x0 @win @lose
msgbox @after 0x6
fadescreen 0x1
hidesprite 0x1
fadescreen 0x0
setflag 0x1000
release
end

#org @hi
= \v\h06: Hi there \v\h01!\pLet's battle!\p\v\h01: But, I don't know how...\p\v\h06: Don't worry PROF.OAK will\nteach you as we battle...\p\v\h01: Ok, let's do this!

#org @win
= Wow!, You're great for a begginer!

#org @lose
= Woah, that was fun!

#org @after
= \v\h06: Wow, You're really good\nfor a begginer!\p\v\h01: Thanks!\p\v\h06: Well I'll be going now\nI'll be seeing you later!\p\v\h01: Ok, bye!
After you have done this make sure that you have your ROM opened in XSE, after that compile it and copy the offset of @start since it's the very first pointer, then copy that offset in Advance-Map... :)

Note: Use XSE 1.1.1 and Advance-Map 1.95... :)

Also maybe reposting my question will bring some people to answer it.. xD
Hi, I got a question is it possible to make Pokemon FireRed read GIF's images as sprites? Can it be done through Hex Edting or ASM? or much complicated manner... :)

Last edited:

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Hey guys, I was wondering how to change what professor oak says when you pick your starter, because I changed the starter pokemon to Cacnea, Carvhana and Hondour but he says bulbasuar ect. If possible can you put it really simply because i have no knowledge on scripting and abbreviations/acronyms. Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back