• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokeDS

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
Just so everyone knows, this project has not been abandoned, I have just come back from holiday, and I'm a bit jet lagged and I am busy with preparing for school ( fingers crossed for it being delayed cuz of H1N1 ;D)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
The problem is I don't know where to start, I have always been an editor, not a from-ground-up scripter. This project was to help me overcome that. I don't have much experience in the .rxdata formats, as it never came up while I was programming for Blue Chrome, and my previous projects. Maybe you could lend a hand in telling me the basics of the I/O with the RMXP data? :p
Use the load_data (or pbLoadRxData) method to load the map file as an RPG::Map object. The actual tiles are stored in its 'data' variable, as a Table. To load the tile ID of a tile, use map.data[x,y,layer]. Remember to take 1 away from the layer; it has to be 0, 1, or 2.
I'm pretty sure there's some documentation somewhere about using Wi-Fi... Obviously, you can't connect to Nintendo's servers, but you can set up your own.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
Thanks, and PALib supports wifi no problem, by no I meant I didn't plan to have wifi features in the engine.

Smitty96

the Ubuntu user
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 6, 2013
I didn`t know DS game maker was PAlib, I`ll have to try it out. Also, you guys are all saying that DP are 3D, while I rememer reading on Bulbapedia that only Platinum is true 3D, and DP simply use lots of sprites.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
I didn`t know DS game maker was PAlib, I`ll have to try it out. Also, you guys are all saying that DP are 3D, while I rememer reading on Bulbapedia that only Platinum is true 3D, and DP simply use lots of sprites.
Yeah, its practically a GUI to make using PALib alot simpler.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023

D/P/Pt are all 3D. Pt just has different textures and models.

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
Years

With "true 3d" they meant the enhanced engine on the Torn World, they USED the very power of the isometric engine they had/have. But is not like DP were not 3d.
Actually there's a very very cool cheat code for Pearl that allows to change the camera angles, haha, it's very funny to change them, you can see every nintendo tricks, like the trees being planes at 45° of inclination towards the camera to make them look like vertical trees.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
With "true 3d" they meant the enhanced engine on the Torn World, they USED the very power of the isometric engine they had/have. But is not like DP were not 3d.

Correction: isometric is not 3D. Isometric is 2D, but with diagonal movement and tiles. D/P/Pt don't use an isometric engine; they use a 3D engine. Just thought I'd clear that up.

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
Years
Correction: isometric is not 3D. Isometric is 2D, but with diagonal movement and tiles. D/P/Pt don't use an isometric engine; they use a 3D engine. Just thought I'd clear that up.

Nintendo calls "isometric" to that engine, don't blame me, blame them. Have you googled something about DPPt? They they the engine is "isometric".

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
There is no such thing as 2.5d. How can you have half a dimension? Do you want to destroy the universe or something?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
Hahaha, I can't believe you just quoted Wikipedia to prove me wrong. If you read, it says an informal way to say pseudo 3D. My point still stands that it is impossible to have half of a dimension.

And anyway, D/P/Pt is 2D sprites with 3D models, experts (:P) have been discussing in this thread about it, so don't just disregard what they are saying, and say its 2.5D. God I hate that term >_<

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
He quoted wikipedia because 2.5D is a term used by game developers and media to describe games that render 3D graphics but let you play on a 2D plain. So, in terms of computer game development- yes there is such a thing as 2.5D- and if you check out reviews by IGN, and gamespot, you'll see they use the term to describe the DS pokemon adventure games.... So it doesn't matter if you hate the term or not...If you knew game development terms, the 2.5D debate wouldn't even be an issue.... [kidding]noobs :P:P[/kidding]
<Plus, look up games like Shadow Complex, Trine, Trials HD to name some recent ones from last months release pool alone to see the term used in reviews to describe it>

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
Then IGN is wrong, as 2.5D is described as 2D sprites which give the impression that they are 3D, as it appears they have depth e.g isometric games. A Pokemon NDS game uses 3D and 2D sprites, not the same thing.

Back