• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Voice Acting

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
While it's been discussed a bit in the past, do you think it's a possibility for these games? Given that it's 3D, a whole new world, voice acting might be a little more possible (other than the voices in music in the Unova era). Would you like to have voice acting in these games? To what extent? Would it improve your experience or not? Discuss.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Unlikely, because like Link, the main protagonist is suppose to be you, in which you can name him/her anything thus wasting time voice recording all the possible names. Some of Nintendo's franchises have worked fine without the use of voice acting, and we don't want it to be more like Other M.

blue

gucci
Years
I'm not sure if I would like this in Pokemon, it's a possibility but I don't think I would be able adjust to it for a while. I could see it on the main characters such as Professor, Gym Leaders, etc but I wouldn't like trainers to speak their dialogue.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Admittedly, that would be weird to get used to, because Pokemon has a 'silent' feel to it, but it can work out very well! I'd definitely be on board with this, as long as the voices are clear, and -fits- each character. Like, It's suck if your rival had a really low-toned voice that you'd expect, and you'd have to face him/her at like, every other town. u_u'

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I hope they don't have voice acting. That'd be...strange...plus with this being an on the go kind of game (yay handhelds!) not everyone has the volume turned up to hear it. I usually don't in the car, or I'll listen to other music while I play. Of course I'm sure there will be subtitles if there is voice acting, but eh.

And I know other handheld games have voice acting, but it's usually in games that have voice acting as a staple thing (like Kingdom Hearts), so to have it in a game that's never had it...seems a bit weird.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
It might be a possibility, but it's something I absolutely do NOT want to see. I watched as voice acting played an obvious role in destroying the Elder Scrolls franchise and I really don't want to see it happen to Pokemon.

There are two problems with voice acting - it's expensive and it uses up an enormous amount of memory. Every dollar, every hour and every megabyte that's used for voice acting is a dollar, an hour and a megabyte that can't be used for anything else, and the minor improvement to the game that voice acting brings doesn't even begin to make up for all the game content that has to be sacrificed to make room for it.

And as has already been mentioned, depending on sound to convey information could be awkward-at-best with a handheld portable game. That would mean that many players would have to depend on subtitles anyway, which would make the voice acting entirely extraneous and ultimately a complete waste of time and resources. Instead of sacrificing other game content for little gain, it'd be sacrificing other game content for no gain at all.

Particularly with the introduction of 3D graphics and all the time, budget and memory it's going to take to at least make a stab at doing them well (so that they actually look like 3D Pokemon rather than simply looking like painfully obvious meshes, like every single previous 3D Pokemon game), I really don't want to see GF diverting time, budget and memory into voice acting. They've already bitten off more than I'm confident that they can chew as it is.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
The only way I can imagine in it is in cutscenes that like explain the 'legends' of the region etc. I couldn't stand it if Pokémon got rid of its silent protagonist.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I wouldn't like it if the protagonist would speak as it would ruin the illusion of you being the main character. Apart from that, I wouldn't mind voice overs for important NPC's.

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
Maybe if the Pokemon had Voice Acting like in the Anime seeing as though the game is now in 3D and it just wouldn't make sense to me to continue using the Old Pokemon Cries

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
The game can be completely voiced with a silent protagonist (see: Persona 3 and 4). It really doesn't matter to me, but I'd love it if it's voiced. I'd miss the cries of Pokemon though.

Years
As nice of a feature as it would be, I highly doubt that it will be implemented. :(
The data size would be rather large and difficult, considering how much is already squeezed into the games.​

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
To the extent of voice acting, I wouldn't mind something like what they did in Roxie and Elesa's gyms, as well as the singing NPC in Black/White/Black2/White2. Maybe they could have something like when there's a large crowd or gathering of NPC's where you can hear some jibberish of sorts to make it sound like they're talking. Or when you see two NPC's or main characters facing each other, they could do the same thing, and the further away you go the quieter it gets until you can't hear it at all - kind of like what they did with the instrument-playing NPC's.

Also, they could probably voice Yes/No for any yes/no questions, or like when someone's frustrated or something, you could hear them making a little "Hmph" sound? That'd be pretty neat, imo, but not all-out complete voice acting.

☆aqua☆

Ace Trainer!! :p
Years
To the extent of voice acting, I wouldn't mind something like what they did in Roxie and Elesa's gyms, as well as the singing NPC in Black/White/Black2/White2. Maybe they could have something like when there's a large crowd or gathering of NPC's where you can hear some jibberish of sorts to make it sound like they're talking. Or when you see two NPC's or main characters facing each other, they could do the same thing, and the further away you go the quieter it gets until you can't hear it at all - kind of like what they did with the instrument-playing NPC's.

Also, they could probably voice Yes/No for any yes/no questions, or like when someone's frustrated or something, you could hear them making a little "Hmph" sound? That'd be pretty neat, imo, but not all-out complete voice acting.

Squirtle agrees! Like, if you've ever played any of the Mario RPGs when the characters talk they say one word or mumble something like "uhnfvhuhuhufsdu"

(OOC: Whenever I read something, like a book or read dialog in a game, I always read a "character" voice..and I've noticed most of them come out the same xD)

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
Years
  • Age 30
  • TN
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
I play with the volume down a lot :P
I don't think I'd want voice-acting, though. I'm afraid of it being cheesy or bad or something, and it's not really that necessary in the first place. As for the Pokemon, I'm fine with the cries they have now. If they were to have actual voices, it'd probably just annoy me.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
Hmm. Didn't think about that. Maybe for important NPCs, but if they go overboard, I will not buy the game just turn the volume down when it comes on. I think that they would bring the voice-acting-in-music thing back but maybe on a higher scale.

But if they give Mr/Ms. Mute a voice, I will scream.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
I hope they don't have voice acting. That'd be...strange...plus with this being an on the go kind of game (yay handhelds!) not everyone has the volume turned up to hear it. I usually don't in the car, or I'll listen to other music while I play. Of course I'm sure there will be subtitles if there is voice acting, but eh.

And I know other handheld games have voice acting, but it's usually in games that have voice acting as a staple thing (like Kingdom Hearts), so to have it in a game that's never had it...seems a bit weird.

Just because it's never had it before, doesn't mean it never should.
Just because some people wouldn't experience that part of the game, doesn't mean nobody should.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I kind of doubt they will. We could've had voice acting with N and Ghetsis in last generation but sadly didn't. GF will proably keep the silence for these games.

Back