• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Filtering out guests?

Years
Quite a lot now i've been getting the message saying something about there being stress on the server and when it finally doesn't put me through there have only been about 80 members but like 350 guests.
Isn't there a way to give members priority to the site?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
If we filter out guests, how will we get new members...?

I think blogs are member-only unless you have a direct link already... Dunno if profiles would be a good idea...

marcc5m

what
Years
Idk what you mean exactly, but this is a bad idea. A lot of people like to lurk the forums and decide from there if they want to join, and a lot of people come to PC to download stuff like hacks/games, so it's not fair that they should have to join just for something as mediocre as that. So yeah, I'm against this idea.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Nahhh.. I doubt we'd get as many members that way, plus a lot of people enjoy lurking.. I don't see much good coming from disabling guests. Not too keen on the idea.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
No, I don't think this would work out, considering I would know personally that some new members like to lurk the forums before they decide to join, and some people come for ROM hacking tools or the like. The only issue there could be is people intentionally being guests to strain the server, because this has been speculated to happen, but I don't think it happens very often, so we should be fine. We need to account the entire community in this, so that includes users that are yet to register.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
I don't think Hybrid Trainer was suggesting completely blocking guests. He said "Isn't there a way to give members priority to the site?" Maybe it's just me but I interpreted "priority" as meaning "pages will load faster for members." I know very little about how the site functions under the hood so I can't answer this but if it is possible, I suppose it would be nice. Not to mention it would encourage people to join.

Melody

Banned
Years
If it's possible, could we perhaps implement some sort of rate-limiter on guests where it requires a log in under extreme loads?

If it were possible to switch the board to "Must login to see forum" when the load exceeds a certain level, it might be nice.

If that isn't possible, we could just prevent guests from viewing all high-load forums like Emulation, Wifi and the Generation forums.

I know we want guests to be able to SEE the forum, but we also want to discourage unnecessary lurkers. If you MUST lurk, do so while logged in invisibly. Seriously, I don't think that lurking is necessary...and if I want to lurk, I do so from invisible mode OR a super secret hidden alt

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I don't think Hybrid Trainer was suggesting completely blocking guests. He said "Isn't there a way to give members priority to the site?" Maybe it's just me but I interpreted "priority" as meaning "pages will load faster for members." I know very little about how the site functions under the hood so I can't answer this but if it is possible, I suppose it would be nice. Not to mention it would encourage people to join.

That would certainly be cool if possible. Is it really plausible for something like that to be put into PC, though? I can't imagine any viable way of doing it though I really have no idea in the first place lolol. I just wanted to second this idea, especially if it would get more people to join so the site would load faster. I don't think it's possible, though. ;D

I know we want guests to be able to SEE the forum, but we also want to discourage unnecessary lurkers. If you MUST lurk, do so while logged in invisibly. Seriously, I don't think that lurking is necessary...and if I want to lurk, I do so from invisible mode OR a super secret hidden alt

Why do we want to discourage lurking? I lurked for ages before I actually became a more prominent member of PC. There are just some people that are more prone to contribute through posting a lot and showing activity that way while others simply mull back and read over stuff. I understand how lurking just doesn't show any kind of activity, but sometimes it's more useful to lurk around before you post, especially when you're in a new forum.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024

If that isn't possible, we could just prevent guests from viewing all high-load forums like Emulation, Wifi and the Generation forums.

I.. don't know how I feel about that. xD;

Emulation / ROM hacking, Wifi, etc is what brings in a lot of our members, and the reason why they joined is probably because they were able to lurk and see for themselves how interesting those areas seemed. If we take that ability away from them, that might stop people from wanting to join, kinda like what I said earlier.

This whole idea is a nice way to de-stress the server at times, but it's downside isn't a good one, IMO.

test_account

for all that is broken, I am the test.
Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2019
we tested that (haha get it, TESTed it!?) and it didn't make that much of a difference.

sorry, but PC is an OPEN forum.. we don't and won't REQUIRE membership to view our pages.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
Years
It seems like the choice has mostly been made, but I would like to post this anyway:
I have joined countless forums with throwaway accounts made with throwaway emails (Seriously, I believe I have created over 100 gmail accounts so far, not to mention hotmail, etc). Restricting access would just cause a huge amount of people to join and never post, just to gain access to restricted features. This would be even worse for the server, as instead of just bandwidth, hard drive space would also be taken up.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
Quite a lot now i've been getting the message saying something about there being stress on the server and when it finally doesn't put me through there have only been about 80 members but like 350 guests.
Isn't there a way to give members priority to the site?

I'll admit, I got a bit annoyed at the sheer number of guests that were on yesterday when PC encountered slowdown. At first, I thought it was peaking at like 1000 online members or something, but it wasn't even that. The guests were the more numerous variant of users, rather than the members. :x And even then, the number of members and guests combined (roughly 430) didn't seem nearly enough to cause unexpected slowdown like that. But it happens, I suppose.

Idk what you mean exactly, but this is a bad idea. A lot of people like to lurk the forums and decide from there if they want to join, and a lot of people come to PC to download stuff like hacks/games, so it's not fair that they should have to join just for something as mediocre as that. So yeah, I'm against this idea.

So they just come to our site and jack our hack games without actually being members? LOL. Personally, I think only contributing members should be permitted to download hacks from here, but then you get the drawback of wasted accounts made by people specifically just to download the games. :<

The only issue there could be is people intentionally being guests to strain the server, because this has been speculated to happen, but I don't think it happens very often, so we should be fine.

Yeegh...I'd probably smack anyone who came here solely to worsen the browsing experiences of others.

I.. don't know how I feel about that. xD;

Emulation / ROM hacking, Wifi, etc is what brings in a lot of our members, and the reason why they joined is probably because they were able to lurk and see for themselves how interesting those areas seemed. If we take that ability away from them, that might stop people from wanting to join, kinda like what I said earlier.

This whole idea is a nice way to de-stress the server at times, but it's downside isn't a good one, IMO.

I never knew the "hacking" portion of the site was our main draw...I initially came here because it was one of the first forums that popped up on Google when I entered "Pokemon forum", not because of hack-game notoriety. XD Then again, I often see the Emulation subforum and the like pulling in more viewers than the subforums dedicated to the actual/official Pokemon games themselves.

It seems like the choice has mostly been made, but I would like to post this anyway:
I have joined countless forums with throwaway accounts made with throwaway emails (Seriously, I believe I have created over 100 gmail accounts so far, not to mention hotmail, etc). Restricting access would just cause a huge amount of people to join and never post, just to gain access to restricted features. This would be even worse for the server, as instead of just bandwidth, hard drive space would also be taken up.

Gah...I hate having to make "throwaway" accounts/emails just to access a certain forums. It wastes account usernames on a particular forum, and it wastes potential e-mails that could be put to good use by other people.

As for lurking...I would say I don't really the point in lurking for a month or more...I mean, by that point, you should either make an account on the forum or just leave. Then again, I sporadically pop into the Smogon forums just to see analyses that are a bit more detailed for the battling scene, as they concern certain Pokemon species, moves, and the like. I guess that could be considered "lurking", and I recall being frustrated one day when those forums were seemingly viewable only to "members"; I think it was due to a server error. So an entirely/partially members-only forum viewing method would undoubtedly discourage unregistered guests. Sigh...if we only had a perfect world where we'd have enough server space for members and guests, with no compromise of server speed from the userload.

So yeah, in times of server stress, I'd like to prioritize users to have pages load faster as opposed to guests who would have to wait slightly longer for pages to load. But that stifles potential growth of this body that we call PokeCommunity, so that doesn't seem like a very feasible option at the moment. I guess we just have to manage with the occasional slowdowns from both members and guests until we can improve and enhance the server... T_T

Back