• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I know you said this is just for fun but I can't help but nitpick that you mention it being strong against Dark when you've said in the past it wasn't 4x super effective to Hydreigon xD. Sorry just had to say it lol.

Here's mine:

Weak: Steel, Poison, Ice
Immune: Dragon
Resists: Flying, Fire, Ground, Rock, Water, Grass
Resisted by: Steel, Dark, and Ghost

Because recently we had recieved info that didn't fit unless it was x4. Japanese and American trailers did different sets of damage and after seeing some other guy do calcs for raw damage and testing a few things on my own, it was concluded that Fairy was Strong against Dark. Its a few pages back in this thread.

大輔

Adventurer
Years
I'm so glad they made Mawile a fairy type. It was kind of left in the dust out there and it's finally getting recognized to be a little bit stronger!

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Fairy will surely not be strong against Ice, since Ice already has a ton of weaknesses and only one resistance (to itself).

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 5, 2018
Now we just need a slenderman event legendary it's type would be Fairy/ghost and you'd be required to collect eight pages scattered across the Kalos region before heading to an abandoned shack deep within a forest where it would be waiting for you, and its name would be~

....Wait for it~

White hand! ...Sorry I had to, that name would fit too well XD

SkyRyder

'That Guy'
Years
Well here's what I predict what may be the Fairy type chart:

Strong against: Dragon, Dark (I don't want to say Ice because Ice, defensively, is already horrendous. If they plan on "balancing types" like Dragon, they shouldn't give Ice another reason to be an awful type.)
Weak to: Steel, Poison, Ghost(?)

Resists: Grass, Fire, Water (I guess?), Dragon(?)
Resisted by: Steel, Ghost, Ice

I'm not too into the fairy portion of mythology, so I might have made some pretty bad predictions. My priorities were basically balancing types such as Steel and Poison, who are both awful when it comes to offense. I also figured Steel might be able to resist it, even though it resists 11 types already. Ghost seems pretty random, but it might make a bit of sense in the long run. Ice is just there for balancing reasons. The hardest part for me is predicting what the type itself will resist. I guess basic elements like Water, Fire, Grass, etc. will be a resistance, but like I said I have very little knowledge with the backgrounds of fairies so that part is pretty much a guess.

Also, unless the guys at Pokemon Smash secretly know the type chart and were using those presentations as hints, the whole thing seems like a whole load of bull. Anyone without a broken arm can break a sheet of ice. Poisonous gas? I'm sure everyone will react like the way the girl did. However, I do hope poison will be strong against it. Just my input.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
A great deal of fairies seem to be depicted as living in non cold places so perhaps they'll be weak against ice...though they don't need a reason to make it so as them being strong against dragon was an obvious patch to balance the game...

Jumpleet

Rise Above The Rest
Years
You know, the Dragon type Pokemon in my opinion were good because of the stats of the Pokemon, not the typing. Maybe stronger fairies will be made, but I still think a Dragonite can obliterate a Gardevoir.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I saw the question about Smash's credentials pop up. Their skits are planned based on information they get straight from Gamefreak. So that Sylveon skit has a lot of support since the information they used to perform it was from the creators of the game. Its not really the same as taking the word of someone who claims to know a guy in Gamefreak.

Smash is owned by TPC so they are directly ran under the same company that also runs Gamefreak.

SkyRyder

'That Guy'
Years
"Fire resists Fairy. Fairy takes normal damage from fire." - PokeJungle

So far I'm already wrong with my speculation. :( But it's cool that Fire gets another resistance.

Years
I'm expecting Bug, Ice and Grass to be resistant to Fairy, Poison and Ghost super-effective against it, Dragon, Fire and Water not very effective against it, and, finally, Fairy super-effective against Dragon, Dark, and maybe Ground and Steel.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
Recently I have been playing Yu-Gi-Oh and what everyones been saying about what fairies look were correct. I have been troubled bout how this type would look compared to others since i have been thinking them to be small winged creatures and the like, but once I got to see how yugioh has shown them, some, if not most, appear to be magical beings(magi or human) with healing or holy powers. It made me more comfortable about the new type and slowly got me to accepting them.

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2013
Well, since the Pokebeach leaker has never once been wrong yet, I think we need to start with those predictions. That means...

Fairy is weak to:
Poison
Steel

Fairy is immune to Dragon

Fairy attacks are not very effective on:
Fire
Psychic

Fairy attacks are super-effective on:
Dragon
Fighting
Dark

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I feel like I'm possible the only one in this thread to not expect Fairy to have a huge amount of both strengths and weaknesses. Knowing that their purpose is to be super-effective against dragons, they'll probably be strong to/weak against a few things, and that'd probably really be it
I also expect it to be neutral to and against the majority of the types.

Years
Scrafty is one of my most favorite species, especially for its typing, I'm already sad that Fairy is probably super-effective to Dark. If it ends up super-effective to both Dark and Fighting... I... I... I just don't want to think about it... ;_;

Years
  • Seen Nov 22, 2014
Fairy is immune to Dragon
I sure as hell hope not!

I'm comfortable with the idea of fairies being a new type, and with them being super effective on dragons. However, the fairy type being completely immune to dragon attacks make absolutely no sense. Dragons were designed to be highly powerful, with high offensive stats and being able to tear mere pokemon to shreds, however they're also a glass cannon, with nearly every one having 4x weaknesses to many common types and often able to be destroyed in one critical/super effective hit. Dragons are supposed to be hyper-offensive and not care about the repercussions of their actions. Steel made sense, as it's neither a biological entity or able to be destroyed easily, and often used to restrain and shackle dragons in mythology.

But fairies being outright immune to dragons... come on man. That just comes off as plain and simple uncreative, as a mere way to balance the typing without any creative flair. I was comfortable with the idea of fairies able to take down a dragon, but dragon type attacks still should've done neutral damage to fairy. There's a certain cosmic influence in many of the fairy type designs, almost as if they've escaped from elsewhere to take refuge and prosper on the pokemon planet (earth maybe?). Then there's attacks like Draco Meteor, which being space oriented, only make sense to be ridiculously powerful on the fairies who have to come to escape it.

Maybe i'll get over it, maybe I need a bit of an explanation, but I don't think i'm ready yet for dragons to get nerf'd as hard as they are...

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I sure as hell hope not!

I'm comfortable with the idea of fairies being a new type, and with them being super effective on dragons. However, the fairy type being completely immune to dragon attacks make absolutely no sense. Dragons were designed to be highly powerful, with high offensive stats and being able to tear mere pokemon to shreds, however they're also a glass cannon, with nearly every one having 4x weaknesses to many common types and often able to be destroyed in one critical/super effective hit. Dragons are supposed to be hyper-offensive and not care about the repercussions of their actions. Steel made sense, as it's neither a biological entity or able to be destroyed easily, and often used to restrain and shackle dragons in mythology.

But fairies being outright immune to dragons... come on man. That just comes off as plain and simple uncreative, as a mere way to balance the typing without any creative flair. I was comfortable with the idea of fairies able to take down a dragon, but dragon type attacks still should've done neutral damage to fairy. There's a certain cosmic influence in many of the fairy type designs, almost as if they've escaped from elsewhere to take refuge and prosper on the pokemon planet (earth maybe?). Then there's attacks like Draco Meteor, which being space oriented, only make sense to be ridiculously powerful on the fairies who have to come to escape it.

Maybe i'll get over it, maybe I need a bit of an explanation, but I don't think i'm ready yet for dragons to get nerf'd as hard as they are...

Dragons are NOT glass cannons and certainly don't have lots of weaknesses. Most are 4x weak to Ice but Pokémon like Dragonite, Garchomp, etc. are quite bulky and able to dish out a lot of damage still. Giving them one more weakness is fine, but, considering most of the new Fairies are quite weak, I expect the only way they become relevant is by being immune to Dragon since a Pokémon like Garchomp is not easily taken down even with super effective hits.

Also no reason why Fairy should be super effective against Dark. Guess they're trying to give Spiritomb a weakness. However this pisses me off since Pokémon like Tyranitar and Weavile already have way too many weaknesses.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Dragons are NOT glass cannons and certainly don't have lots of weaknesses. Most are 4x weak to Ice but Pokémon like Dragonite, Garchomp, etc. are quite bulky and able to dish out a lot of damage still. Giving them one more weakness is fine, but, considering most of the new Fairies are quite weak, I expect the only way they become relevant is by being immune to Dragon since a Pokémon like Garchomp is not easily taken down even with super effective hits.

Also no reason why Fairy should be super effective against Dark. Guess they're trying to give Spiritomb a weakness. However this pisses me off since Pokémon like Tyranitar and Weavile already have way too many weaknesses.

May not effect Spiritomb if they do the same thing they did with bug and make Ghost resistant against Fairy Type. Keep in mind the only 5 types we know of that have been stated to be effected are

Strong against:
Dragon
Dark
Ice

Resisted by:
Fire

Weak to:
Poison

So far with official resources this is all we know. I agree with you that majority of the Fairies so far aren't that strong with exception to 2, Gardevoir and Xerneas. Azumarill and Mawile have Potential but only if they get Physical Fairy Attacks to go along with their Huge Power benefit. If not, then they may not even be much of a threat. Mawile already loses out to the Fire inclusion since Fairy is resisted by Fire types and Fire types are SE vs Steel Types. Marill would have to rely on its Water vs Fire types since its Fairy Attacks would be pretty useless.

Flying is either Neutral or Weak since Salamence was shown getting one shotted. So Flying has two potential areas and we already did the math for Hydreigon to find out Dark was weak to Fairy Types.

So far the only reason they were made was to balance Dragon types, but it seems as if they are unbalancing other types in the process. Ice and Dark are more brittle while Fire and Poison seem to be moving up. Good thing for those two as Poison isn't used all that much, not that they'll be used more, but Poison Attacks may see more use. Ice and Dark may fall to a decline with their new weaknesses.

Back