• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Protagonist Is The Most Powerful?

Which Protagonist Is The Strongest!?

• Red

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Blue/Green/Leaf ( Female )

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Gold

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Crystal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lyra

• Brendan

• May

• Lucas

• Dawn

• Hilbert

• Hilda

• Nate

• Rosa

• Calem

• Selena

• Total voters

大輔

Adventurer
Years
Pokemon Colosseum Wes: 1

Which protagonist stands out to you most? This doesn't necessarily mean he/she is your favorite... this is more about whether or not they are the strongest ( battle wise, contest wise, etc ). Who do you think is the most powerful of them all?

Last edited:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
Is there even any question? Red of course! I'm still training to beat that guy in HeartGold. Red is a true champion. Virtually invincible. Oh, and he has a level 88 Pikachu :O

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I've gotta say Red as well. The way he is included and talked about in the G/S/C games just makes him a legend that no one else can match. The original dex holder and pokémon journey trainer. Plus, he trained his Pikachu to high level rather than to evolve it. Now, that's badass!

Years
I wanted to say Red as well, but when you think about it, Gold/Crystal/Ethan/Lyra (depending on the game) actually defeat Red later on. On top of that, they've only been trainers for a short period of time compared to the amount of time Red's spent honing his craft on Mt. Silver. Sure, he may not have battled anyone in a while, but I'd think it'd take a pretty special trainer to beat the last three Pokemon League Champions on their own (Red, Blue/Green and Lance). For poll purposes though, I just selected Gold.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
May would have to be pretty tough. When I had battled her for the final time at Lilycove City in Emerald, which was able to get through most of my Pokémon pretty easily with Tropius. Brendan was quite hard as well. He was equally as tough. Aside from these two, Red was also very difficult to defeat. His team was well-balanced, and all members complemented each other very nicely. If one was weak against something, the other was able to cover it up. :b Only characters that could possibly be stronger than him are the ones listed above, haha.

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Well, Red for me. I think he have all the above Pokemon! ^^
He even caught mewtwo (Well.. in the anime) So Red ftw.

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
I'm gonna go with RED as well. He not only defeated Team Rocket, but defeated the Pokemon League and basically becoming a legend across two regions. His team is well-balanced, and he completed the Pokedex (but this is the player's choice). Speaking of player's choice, probably the later protagonists would take the cake for strongest protagonists when we're not talking about plot, but the actions of the player. Most people now, when it comes to teams, pick Pokemon with good natures and EV/IV train them and they just make the strongest team so I'd say Generation IV protags (Hilbert, Lucas, Serena, Ethan etc) onwards could be the strongest. But for me, RED is the strongest.

BRENDAN and MAY come close to RED. They saved the whole world from flooding/landing(??), and they saved the world from Groudon and Kyogre by calling Rayquaza to stop their fight, which is pretty badass if you ask me. They defeated the Elite Four too, which is a plus.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I wanted to say Red as well, but when you think about it, Gold/Crystal/Ethan/Lyra (depending on the game) actually defeat Red later on. On top of that, they've only been trainers for a short period of time compared to the amount of time Red's spent honing his craft on Mt. Silver. Sure, he may not have battled anyone in a while, but I'd think it'd take a pretty special trainer to beat the last three Pokemon League Champions on their own (Red, Blue/Green and Lance). For poll purposes though, I just selected Gold.

That is an extremely good point, now that you mention it :O

大輔

Adventurer
Years
Hmmm, strangely enough I've actually had second thoughts about Red ( which is why I made this poll lol ). For me I think Hilbert/Hilda are stronger protagonists. I mean, Red beat the championship, completed the original pokedex, etc. But in BW the legendaries themselves were attracted to the protagonist and they pretty much did what Red did.

Years
Red, for game and manga achievements. He like the others, don't get me wrong they achieved so much too. Anyway, he's always seemed to pull through the impossible, and as shown in G/S and the remakes, he's pretty darn powerful

Outlier

Wes would sick his Espeon on Red while Umbreon sweeps his entire team.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
Red. I have never seen a trainer so strong in a game. xD That and no other person was talked about like he was. It was an actual challenge for me to beat him.

大輔

Adventurer
Years
Do you guys think that other trainers would be just as strong as Red if they reappeared in another generation?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 25, 2014
Well in Gold/Silver/Crystal you actually beat red sooo... That means red is obviously not the most powerful.

大輔

Adventurer
Years
Well in Gold/Silver/Crystal you actually beat red sooo... That means red is obviously not the most powerful.

I totally agree with you... as Red might have been the original champion, there are plenty of people like Gold who could probably defeat him in battle.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 25, 2014
I totally agree with you... as Red might have been the original champion, there are plenty of people like Gold who could probably defeat him in battle.

While we're at it, the object of each pokemon game is to become the #1 pokemon master, which is usually accomplished by capturing a legendary pokemon. In this sense I suppose each protagonist of future generations would beat the protagonist of previous generations in a pitched pokemon battle.

So right now I suppose the top contestant would be (insert protagonist of x and y here).

Who will be dwarfed later on by (insert protagonist of another absurd pokemon game here who managed to capture another absurd legendary pokemon).

Thus the cycle will continue, and in doing so, stoking the ego of all the fans.

大輔

Adventurer
Years
While we're at it, the object of each pokemon game is to become the #1 pokemon master, which is usually accomplished by capturing a legendary pokemon. In this sense I suppose each protagonist of future generations would beat the protagonist of previous generations in a pitched pokemon battle.

So right now I suppose the top contestant would be (insert protagonist of x and y here).

Who will be dwarfed later on by (insert protagonist of another absurd pokemon game here who managed to capture another absurd legendary pokemon).

Thus the cycle will continue, and in doing so, stoking the ego of all the fans.

so basically...

Pokemon = The perfect child trapping device used since 1996...

Back