• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Did your versions match?

Which versions did you choose?

• Black, Black2

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • White, White2

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • Black, White2

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • White, Black2

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • A combination of 3 or more of the above*

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • I chose all 4 versions.

Votes: 22 22.9%

• Total voters

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I chose White, yet when the sequels came out, I decided to go with Black 2. I thought I was one of the only ones who made this choice, yet a conversation with a friend revealed that both he and another friend of his swapped theirs around too.

I still believe this was fairly uncommon choice, but I thought a poll would let me get a better idea of how uncommon a choice it really was.

*Regarding the 5th (and perhaps 6th) option of this poll, I realize that some people would buy both versions at release, yet dominantly play one over the other. It's up to your discretion whether you feel as though this option applies to you.

Last edited:

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Along the way, not all at once, I ended up buying all 4 of the versions, some more than once.

I forgot to answer question - Nope, my versions didn't match, I just bought them randomly

Last edited:

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
The versions I have at the moment did match: White and White 2 were the games I got; although when I played through White 2 I didn't realize at that point that I was not able to catch Zekrom - my preferred legendary - and had to choose Reshiram instead. I probably should've gone for Black 2 and tried out some newer Pokemon I haven't discovered yet (and it would also make for a more realistic change to Opelucid City. ;))

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
I have all four, but only used Black for the Memory Link in Black/White 2, so it's like I continued Black/White 2 from that game. I've completed all of them; however, so it's not like it really matters at this point.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I have Black, and am planning to get Black 2. I hadn't yet gotten Black 2 because I just finished the main story arc of Black a few days ago. Just makes more sense to me to get the matching version. I'd rather have the story I play in the sequel be a continuation of the first game that I played.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
So far I am the only one that has chosen Pokemon Black and Pokemon White 2. I don't think it would have felt right to have played Black 2 considering I already had Black in the first place.

Fitzsy

authentic cool guy
Years
I got White 2 for the sake of continuity with White, but I prefer Black Kyurem by a long shot! It's so beefy and ugly, that's my favorite kind.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
My first 5th gen game was Black because I wanted a Whimsicott, then I got White to do new games on. My next game was White 2 because I wanted Latias soo I did not go in the intended order since my main games go Black -> White 2.

Reshiram is life, basically.

Years
I got White and Black 2. The former because I preferred white over black and the latter because it had challenge mode.. which I never did end up using. ;(

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I had all four; two physical copies and two digitally in my flash-cart. My first ever fifth-generation game, though, was Pokémon Black. I really wanted to get a hold of Reshiram. d:

Years
Like most said, I have all four games but I play Black and Black 2 more than the White counterparts. I only use the White and White 2 for trading version-exclusives to my main games.

Years
I too have all four games but I used White and White 2 as my main ones. I was originally going to make Black 2 my main game, but something came up and I decided to make White 2 my main one instead. Black (2) I use for mostly getting extra stuff, although I do have another White 2 copy to transfer the Challenge Mode key to and play around on that - I did a Nuzlocke on it back in the spring, along with a few Monotypes and such. That and I like White Kyurem more than Black Kyurem (and most of White 2's exclusives) which is why I chose the secondary White 2 copy. I'm however actually considering dumping my save on White after I transfer over all my good IV'd stuff once Pokémon Bank opens. But would that do anything to the Memory Link I have on my main White 2 game?

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
Got White and White 2.
I initially planned on getting Black, but my friend wanted Black and I didn't really mind, so I let him pick Black while I got White.

This was the first time I got the "second" version, too. Up until then, I had Red, Gold, Ruby, FireRed, Diamond and HeartGold, then I got White, White 2 and Y.
I might break that pattern if they release R/S remakes/sequels, though; I'd probably be getting Ruby.

Years
I have White and Black 2. I thought about getting White 2 first, similar to how I first had Gold and then got Heart Gold, but decided against it. It's not like getting White 2 would in any way be nostalgic the way getting Heart Gold was, when White had come out just 1½ years before. So I went for some change instead. ^^

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
I think it's better to have the matching versions, since story-wise, Black 2 is a continuation of Black while White 2 is a continuation of White.
You know, since in B/W, N catches either Zekrom/Reshiram while you get to capture Reshiram/Zekrom, then once in Black 2/White 2, N ends up releasing that Zekrom/Reshiram he had, which you can then capture.

I don't know. Continuation is very important to me, but I guess some people really don't care.
By getting the matching versions, the continuity is fine and you get to catch both Reshiram and Zekrom, while if you get differing ones, you'll be stuck with two of the same legendary, but you'll be able to find the version-exclusives that weren't in your first game.
Granted, you can just trade away the second legendary you get, but then it won't have your OT/ID/SID. D:

I have black and white 2. My mom preordered the wrong thing when she got my birthday gift, but I'm not that worried about it. It's really all the same in the end

It's cool to see you didn't get mad or anything; I know that there's many people who would have gotten pretty mad at not receiving the right thing they asked for, but in Pokémon's case, it can be easy for parents to get confused between the two versions.
I would have gotten annoyed since I'd have really wanted to have matching versions, but I would have gotten over it.
Or I probably would have arranged for my friend to get White 2 instead of Black 2 and then trade versions. :p

Back