• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Did you find your Monkey useful?

Was your monkey useful

• Yes

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • No

Votes: 48 68.6%

• Total voters
Years
Definitely yes. I tried to challenge Cilan with just my Oshawott before finding out we could get an elemental monkey and ended up losing, so getting Pansear helped me a ton in the long run. xD; But sadly I deposited it after I passed the second or third gym since it got a little hard to use and I didn't like its evolved form much.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
I chose Oshawott my first time so I had Pansear. He was with me until I got my Litwick.

My second time I picked Snivy and thus had Panpour. He didn't last too long either.

I find the monkeys useful against Cilan/Cress/Chili but after that, their stats are just puny and they're not exactly the easiest to raise. I do like a challenge. I could possibly do a run in the future where I use all three elemental monkeys... hmmm...

Batel

A nothing.
Years
I really wanted to like the monkey trio, but I found no use for them.
Personally, I didn't really use Pansear at any time. Instead I used my Munna to take down the first gym. After that, he was just boxed and when I felt I wanted a fire type, I picked up a Litwick.

Mentalii

Back
Years
Nope. I tried to use Pansage, because I needed a grass type, but it bored me, and there was way better than it so... It's now and forever in my PC.

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
oh yeah, she was very useful since i got a female, i didn't know how rare females were so when i offered her on gts negotiations the other guy offered a high level evolved male one

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I never used my Panpour. I found no need for it and didn't want to level it up--still, it was nice to have it included in the fashion it was.

Years
Wow, did so many people get a panpour? XD

I had a pansage the first time I went through my white version and I like it... Sort of. It's stats were HORRIBLE but I usually got a critical hit with vine whip so I kept it for most of the game, only changing out when I got a Deerling at Dragonspiral Tower (which is weird because I didn't see any other deerling in the game o.o)

As for my Black version, I received a pansear, which I have it's evolved form on my Tres Team, along with Carracosta, Swoobat, Whimsicott, Beartic and Bisharp. As you can tell it isn't the greatest of teams (and simisear is easily the weakest of them all) but I've actually been able to win with this team (I mainly use Simisear for Yawn or Fire Blast (which has, oddly, never missed).

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Used it during the first gym and then pretty much boxed it. It wasn't a part of my team through both playthroughs so I didn't bother with it really.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Yeeeeeeeeeeeah no. Lord no, in fact. After using my dear Panpour in the first Gym battle, it went straight into a Box to never see the light of day again. Because I'm heartless and cruel like that.

#isthenumbersign
Years
I'm pretty sure I've only ever used them for Cut, and since Cut isn't exactly necessary, they went to the box not long after I got them.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
EEhh well, no. I caught a lilipup in my b/w journey and Lilipup vs panpour wasnt all that difficult so my pansage wasnt a nessecity. Felt kinda bad when his new residence was my PC :disappoin. But Simisage is like the coolest looking of the monkeys so i trained and evolved him later for fun.

Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2018
Honestly, I refused to use it because I dislike their designs. And I felt it made it far too easy if you automatically get something that beats the first gym handed to you no matter what; not counting starters.

Totodilesteel99

Lord of Awesomeness
Years
I Liked my Monkey.
I Picked Tepig, for the first time.
I got a Pansage, and he is like a boss when he evolves into Simisage.
Pansear is the bad monkey because i read it up and it learns no good moves and it's stats are terrible.
Pansour OK.

SPEEDIE

*Insert Random Joke Here*
Years
What Monkey?
Oh that Pansage I was given ages ago
Have not used it once, although I wish I did, I like Simisage

ThatOneGolurk

Amateur
Years
My Monkey was usefull for when I had to get through the first gym, and still is. I do not use it as much anymore, and when I do, it's mostly just to Surf somewhere.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I Liked my Monkey.
I Picked Tepig, for the first time.
I got a Pansage, and he is like a boss when he evolves into Simisage.
Pansear is the bad monkey because i read it up and it learns no good moves and it's stats are terrible.
Pansour OK.

All the monkeys have the same stats.

Moveset wise.

First real attacks [Vine Whip | Incinerate | Water Gun] Panpour's attack is strongest.
Second Set [Leech Seed | Yawn | Water Sport] Hard to judge. Leech Seed is nice but Yawn can go a long way as well.
Third Set [Seed Bomb | Flame Burst | Scald] Seed Bomb and Scald are the same power wise, but Scald lowers attack through Burning. Flameburst can make up for the 10 Point difference in Double and Triple battles with splash damage.
Last move set [Grass Knot | Fire Blast | Brine] Fire Blast is better right off. Grass Knot depends on opponent, and Brine really shines if and only if you get them past 50% health.

All three have their merits, but all three are easily outclassed early in the game. You can replace Pansear with Darumaka and later Larvesta if you feel the need. Panpour is outclassed by Tympole's line which you get just a little later. Pansage is outclassed by both Petilil and Cottonee which are just after the second badge.

None are worth keeping past the third badge, nor did I keep mine (Pansear). I actually found my Purloin to be better than the monkey. They were cool and all, but not worth the effort to keep raising.

Back