• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why did the voice actors change?

Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2022
I watched the anime religiously as a kid and loved it. I've continued playing the games and collecting the cards but I can't watch the anime now as the voice acting is terrible compared to the older voice actors. Was the change in cast down to money issues? I never did find out why they bothered as the original actors were so good at what they did :( it's probably common knowledge but I just never found out.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
4Kids gave up their dubbing rights to The Pokémon Company International just before the Battle Frontier season because their licensing rights to Pokémon expired.

For one, I'm okay with the new voices, but I'm also happy that some of the old voice actors came back. Ted Lewis/Ed Paul even came back to voice Giovanni again for instance.

Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2022
I see. So why didn't the Pokemon International just hire the same voice actors rather than ruin the consistency? I just don't see the logic.

Years
  • Seen May 21, 2013
I guess when you think the anime has been running so long that some actors/actresses just get fed up doing the same thing over and over again.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
These two articles are good reading material for this thread's topic:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Save_Our_Voice_Actors
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_USA_recasting_controversy

From what I read, the 4Kids voice actors and actresses were abruptly replaced, and weren't even asked about whether or not they wanted to continue with Pokemon USA (aka, no effort was made for negotiations to take place with the old VAs), which is what really irritated me. Apparently, it originally stemmed from keeping production costs low. :/

I've become accustomed to the new voice actors, though I still prefer the old voice actors by a large margin (especially Veronica Taylor as Ash and May; and Stan Hart as Professor Oak. I tried watching BW001, In the Shadow of Zekrom!, but I just couldn't get used to Carter Cathcart as Prof. Oak :S) I'm glad a lot of the old VAs regained their roles, though; I hope that trend can continue. Sarah Natochenny at least does a pretty good Ash voice nowadays, though Taylor's voice will always be classic for me (I love spotting Taylor's voice in other works like Dinosaur King :P).

Thank goodness that The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon got re-dubbed though, because the first dubbed version was horrendous, sorry to say. :<

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
When I first heard the new voice actors, my ears couldn't stand it. But I've kept watching and watching and the voice actors doesn't bother me much anymore. I really despised James's voice actor lol.

Years
I remember first hearing the new voices when I started watching the Diamond & Pearl anime, and I do have to admit Sarah Natochenny did a much better job at voicing Ash than Veronica Taylor did.

However, I liked the fact that most of the 4Kids VAs have since gained roles in the new dub as well which is nice.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 20, 2022
Actually Nintendo sent the script to 4kids and had planned to use them still, but nintendo last minute informed them that they were no longer going to use them! they had no intention of asking the old voices of characters to continue to act. I guess it all comes down to that nintendo is a cheap stake. Also the actors were devastated when this happened, i would be too.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
At the point of the some time, The original VA won't able to replicate their voice for the characters they be voicing anymore (sickness or age), so they will likely need to find suitable voice for their character, some point they will pursuit things in real life as well

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jun 26, 2022
I just got to Battle Frontier when the VAs changed (I'm not sure if they change anymore) I like to say this is when Ash went through puberty lol. I feel like most everyone sounds fine. Jessie's VA sounds the most like Rachel Lillis. Ash's VA is a bit rough, sometimes the dubbing job just looks bad. And James' new VA is a love/hate, sometimes he sounds like he's talking with his mouth full haha.

Years
People have already answered, but it's down to 4Kids and contract changes and stuff.

I entirely agree, though, and it goes beyond nostalgia. After Hoenn (Johto, really), I dropped in from time to time to see what the anime is like, and the voices are just not nearly as good as they were. The "new" voice actors all essentially sound like they're trying to put on a voice - especially the likes of Brock. He sounds like a guy trying to put on a deeper voice.

Worst of all, for me: Ash's new voice actor changes the cadence of the phrase "I choose you."
It's subtle and it shouldn't be significant, but it's there. Listen to an old Indigo League episode where he uses the phrase, and compare it to a modern one. It just doesn't carry the same impact at all and sounds… off.

Back