• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wal-Mart Debate

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
Years
Wal-mart is a totally big merchandising business in America, but Wal-mart has a darker side that they don't want people to know. (which the public totally knows already) heres a list of them:

• Paying low wages to it's workers
  • Not providing affordable healthcare to it's workers and making them rely on medicare.
  • Locking workers in the building
  • Breaking child labor laws
  • Not paying overtime and forcing workers to work "off the clock"
  • Anti-Union tatics
  • Ruining the enviroment
  • Ruining and driving out small businesses.
  • Abusing sweatshops
  • Discrimination against women and African Americans.
  • Hiring and using illegal immigrants.
The list goes on...

What Wal-mart doing is immoral or not immoral. Totally voice your opinions

Sources:
http://walmartwatch.com/
http://www.wakeupwalmart.com/

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
Years
1: Unture. I know people who works at Wal-Mart and they are not underpaid.
2: Also untrue.
3: You know if that wasn't so stupid (as a claim) then it'd be funny.
4: Child labor. Wow, I didn't know some place like Wal-Mart could get away with it.
5: Wow, I never knew Wal-Mart was so evil....
6: Good, down with all unions. NOTHING good comes from unions. Why do you think cars are so high? It's because of the unions out there. Why are most things sky high? Because of the sorry unions.
7: Yes, Wal-Mart is going to end the world. Global Warming or something like that right?
8: Well this one is true. Because who would want to go to a small mom and pop store if you got a Wal-Mart in town.
9: Wow, I didn't think they're still legal...
10: Good lord, they just threw that in there to make a few people mad.
11: If they do then it isn't right, but incase you didn't know. ALMOST EVERYONE ELSE DOES THE SAME!!!!

Wal-Mart is a capitalist company. They don't belong to a union (infact they shut stores down that wants to be a union, and that's a great thing. Because once a union gets in there it'll never EVER get out). They don't live off the gov (other companies goes bankrupt and they got to get money from the government to stay a float). And everyone hates them for it, they make up loads of crap and call Wal-Mart the root of all evil. Well they can go jump in a lake, and anyone that believes their pack of lies can as well.

Years
Locking workers in the building
They don't lock people in the building. Even if someone accidentally locked someone in the building once, it doesn't make them evil.
Breaking child labor laws
Children need to work somewhere.
Ruining the enviroment
How exactly are they doing that?
Ruining and driving out small businesses.
Its not all bad, they can get jobs at walmart.
Hiring and using illegal immigrants.
They're still people, and need jobs. You don't want them to disciminate against women or African Americans, but you do want them to discriminate against the immigrants.

Thats a great moral: its only right to discriminate against certain people.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
• EVIL mascot(the Wal-Mart smiley)
• Taking over all other stores with their new SUPER Wal-Mart
• Low wages
• people look at you funny when you ask where things are, so un happy workers

Theres more, I know there is. I dont like Wal-mart much because they are making EVERY OTHER store go out of business with their low prices, and everything is there type of style. This is why I like the Commisary at the Navy Base better. THEY are actualy nice to people.

^^NICK^^ v.3.0

Original Nick
Years
I LOVE Wal-Mart. It's my favorite store. That stuff may be true, but honestly, I still LOVE Wal-Mart and I always will.

As for the people who feel they're being abused by it, or whatever, don't work there. I understand some people don't have a choice, but if you don't like it, try really hard to work somewhere else and don't patronize it. As for me...

Wal-Mart <3

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
Years
I was JUST at Wal-Mart. It was the only place I could find Megaman Battle Network 6. XD

I have friends who work at Wal-Mart, and I asked them about this and they just laughed. All it is, is propaganda against the industry. Once I see proof for the accusations, then maybe I'll believe it. Or, who knows, maybe it's only Wal-Marts in USA, and not over here. o.o;

feraligatr1.0

Cyber Feraligatr
Years
heh, but you know why they don't care? They make le mulii denedro, cash. They save money by not paying much, so they gain money with the higher prices.

Edit,
I was just at wal mart, btw, I went and got some candy, soda, oarnge juice, and chips for me. I already had food, so the rest of the 105 dollars spent went towards my parents.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
Years
Sweeties, I <3 Wal-Mart! X3 Despite the fact, the employees are rude, seem high, ignorant about games, etc. I love the fact I can shop lift there without getting caught, and I feel smarter than everybody in there. XD But really, I <3 Wal-Mart because it has everything I need. =3 I beleve all this is just propaganda, sweeties. Does anybody anybody actually work at wallmart to prove these allegations?

Years
Eh... sure. I have friends who work in a bunch of Wal-Marts and if they do lock their workers, then why is that they still go to school? If they do pay below minimum wage, why is it that my friend was still able to afford a decent car (not to mention pay the gas for that thing...)?

You see, people can be so gullible these days. Like, if I say that Target is trying to take over the world with so and so tactics, maybe you'd believe them. XD

In short, the acusations you presented were quite jocular to me... >>

Years
• EVIL mascot(the Wal-Mart smiley)
• Taking over all other stores with their new SUPER Wal-Mart
• Low wages
• people look at you funny when you ask where things are, so un happy workers
*lol@the Evil mascot part*
The workers aren't unhappy, they're incompetent, but I still love WalMart.

~Ozy~

PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic
Years
Arcanine said:
6: Good, down with all unions. NOTHING good comes from unions. Why do you think cars are so high? It's because of the unions out there. Why are most things sky high? Because of the sorry unions.

I agree that the modern union (in general) is a corrupt and self-serving entity. However, I believe that they also serve a necessary purpose. Organized labor is necessary in order to prevent worker abuse. A capitilist economy, while it is a positive thing for the most part also allows for the mistreatment of workers or the profit of the company. Organized labor is a necessary facet to retain a balance and help close the wage gap. I do agree, though, that it is not as necessary as it once way thanks to governmental regulation, but there are times when organized labor is beneficial.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
Years
~___~ My AUNT works at walmart and she is RICH O___o Seriously.....

....though maybe thats because my uncle fixes elavators for a living XD *he gets lotsa monuh*

But seriously, she like, the coolest person I know O_O I can't imagine her being some angry er..person working at walmart lol

It's just the stupid people who write stuff like this >=/ so ya gotta bad encounter at walmart. Then they hate it and make up crap about it just because -__- Not everybody who works at walmart in the world is like that!

Fortune Hunter2

Every thing I know is a lie!!
Years
you know that that is really true i my self hate walmart more than my arch foe my nabor whos name i cannot speak

Did you know that most of their workers work part time so walmart won't have to pay for dental and medical inshurince

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
Years
Fortune Hunter2 said:
you know that that is really true i my self hate walmart more than my arch foe my nabor whos name i cannot speak

Did you know that most of their workers work part time so walmart won't have to pay for dental and medical inshurince

You know, it took me 3 minutes to make sense of that first line...

Where is your proof of the mentioned accusation? Last I checked, most workers there WANT to work part time. And even if they didn't, they don't HAVE to work there.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
Years
Haha! I beat you; it took me one minute ;P

But yeah, you are kinda right. He probably just got that from one of those dumb sites anyways; don't waste your time >.>

I wouldn't wanna work full time at walmart either :p Some people can have TWO jobs y'know >.> Haven't you though of THAT?? ;3

Though maybe people had to work at walmart at one point beCAUSE walmart closed the business they were once working at (because everyone else goes there) but like, It's not like ther es only a handfull you could work at OUT THERE; where I live (which is like, a town in the middle of nowhere lol) there are like, so many fast food places its not even funny x__C

See, LOTS of places for walmart people :PXP Or you could even go a step further....blah. I'm ranting aren't I?! *shots self*

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
Years
~Ozy~ said:
I agree that the modern union (in general) is a corrupt and self-serving entity. However, I believe that they also serve a necessary purpose. Organized labor is necessary in order to prevent worker abuse. A capitilist economy, while it is a positive thing for the most part also allows for the mistreatment of workers or the profit of the company. Organized labor is a necessary facet to retain a balance and help close the wage gap. I do agree, though, that it is not as necessary as it once way thanks to governmental regulation, but there are times when organized labor is beneficial.
I do agree that there needs to be something like a union where workers can go to and say "American Airlines isn't giving us healthcare when they agreed to do so." and that sort of stuff (like you said, organized labor). Maybe like a non profit thing or they get some (very small number) of the paycheck or something. But as it stands now unions is all screwed up. Workers for Ford can go on strike and Ford can't just go "Hey guess what, you're all fired.", because them people are union members. That's why cars are so high on the price, if it wasn't for the strikes and way way high paychecks and all that money going to the union then everyone could buy a new car every year.

~Ozy~

Years
I suppose it depends on the union itself more than anything. The auto unions are a good example of when things go bad, as are the theatre unions and guilds *shudders* Stay away from those if you can avoid it, particularly the tech guilds.

However, there are examples on the other end of the spectrum. Two particular examples would be The Guild (print journalism) and at least the local incarnation of the transit union. The handled a local RTD strike marvolously (and I do believe the workers had every right to strike in that instance). It's simply a matter of regulating the unions in addition to the companies.

As for Wal-Mart itself, well... It varies store to store. Wal-Mart has committed most of the offenses mentioned at one point or another, but not simultaneously and not all at once. Wal-Mart, like the Glactic Empire of Star Wars (That movie relates to EVERYTHING! :P) is not a massive evil. Nor is it necessarily a paragon or corporate virtue. It is obviously not a monopoly, but it is speeding the conformitazation of America. This is neither good nor bad, as an entity as varied as America cannot be ever truly the same. Personally, I'll take a pass on Wal-Mart. In my area, they rarely have what I'm looking for, or if they do it's at a higher price than I can find it elsewhere by a little shopping around.

^^NICK^^ v.3.0

Original Nick
Years
I don't understand how the hell Wal-Mart can lock workers in the store and force workers to work off the clock. It sounds ridiculously untrue, and if it is, the people who it's being done to are crazy for not taking it to the highest court possible and making it known.

~Ozy~

Years
In a hypothetical situation, the workers on those shifts would be illegal immigrants, so they have little choice but to tolerate that abuse if they'd like to keep a job.

Kalylia

Pokemon Breeder
Years
Bleh, there's a heck of a loit of hype over the whole Wal-Mart thing. It has been proven that those things happen. I know that my local Wal-Mart store got in trouble for under-paying workers. There were people who'd been there for ages and never got a raise, and occasionally, got pay-cuts but couldn't get out of the store for one reason or another to find a different job. (That was a long sentence...) So, as ~Ozy~ said, it veries from store-to-store. Some Wal-Marts may be wonderful places, but others are run-down, and in my case (before the up-grade to the "Super Wal-Mart"), it was full of homeless people, and the managers really didn't do much about it.

Personally, I'll stick with Target. It's right next to our Mall, anyways, and Wal-Mart's a ways away. :P

Back