• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Hyper Beams (and other moves that need boosts)

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2015
It's truly a shame that Hyper Beam and all moves like it....suck. The game is full of moves with good ideas that are implemented poorly do to certain drawbacks. The Hyper Beams are a pretty good example of this because they are supposed to be the best of the best. I remember teaching my in-game Luxray from Diamond Giga Impact because I thought it would actually do something....but that wasn't the case. What if these recharging moves had a base power of 200, or even 230? I know unlikely, but if so it could possibly make a difference. (and an item to prevent recharge would be benefit this even further). So what moves do you guys think need to be improved?

Years
Hyper Beam, Giga Impact, Blast Burn, Frenzy Plant, and Hydro Cannon would be good with a Pwr/Acc of 180/100.

Ancient Power, Ominous Wind, and Silver Wind should have a Pwr/Acc/PP of 75/100/5 or 60/100/10, or else I'd never consider it as a viable move on my Pokemon.

Extrasensory with 30PP, 80 Base Power, and a 10% flinch rate is just plain abuse. Not that it matters too much as most of the Pokemon that learn the move have low Special Attack, but put this on Ralts or Kadabra or something ...

Ice beam should have 15PP, not that it affects too much but it serves the same purpose as Thunderbolt and Flamethrower - Perhaps it's because freezing is so devastating - Also, either Blizzard gets 10PP or 80-ish Accuracy (one or the other).

X-Scissor should get 70 Power and a High Critical-Hit Ratio. Cut, Slash, Night Slash, Leaf Blade (which all imply " sharp" attacks), even Stone Edge and Drill Run, get the High Critical-Hit, so why not X-Scissor? It'd definitely make the move more useful than it is now.

That's all I can think of at the top of my head right now.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
X-Scissor should get 70 Power and a High Critical-Hit Ratio. Cut, Slash, Night Slash, Leaf Blade (which all imply " sharp" attacks), even Stone Edge and Drill Run, get the High Critical-Hit, so why not X-Scissor? It'd definitely make the move more useful than it is now.

Hey, ballin'Blissey, LOVIN' your profile pic. So friggin' epic!

I completely disagree with you on X-Scissor having 70 base power with critical hit chance. I think GameFreak should leave X-Scissor with 80 base power, and have a high critical hit ratio. I mean, bug doesn't have the greatest coverage, and other moves have higher power than X-Scissor, but with the same PP and a high crit ratio (looking at YOU leaf blade). I always choose Megahorn over X-Scissor because it just does the job better, and I think giving X-Scissor a high crit ratio will give it a chance.

Years
Hey, ballin'Blissey, LOVIN' your profile pic. So friggin' epic!

I completely disagree with you on X-Scissor having 70 base power with critical hit chance. I think GameFreak should leave X-Scissor with 80 base power, and have a high critical hit ratio. I mean, bug doesn't have the greatest coverage, and other moves have higher power than X-Scissor, but with the same PP and a high crit ratio (looking at YOU leaf blade). I always choose Megahorn over X-Scissor because it just does the job better, and I think giving X-Scissor a high crit ratio will give it a chance.

Thanks, I'm honestly surprised you hadn't seen it already on Google Images =P

I would've gone with 80 base power but I thought it would be too much, but you're right about 80 Power giving X-Scissor a chance. For in game (non-competitive), 5PP with no secondary effect (what would you think of a 10% flinch rate added to Megahorn?) might turn me off from Mega Horn (it's not like I use Elixers or Ethers anyways), but for competitive play Megahorn is superior in every way. It's a shame there are few GOOD Bug types that can utilize Megahorn well (Heracross).

I'm guessing they increased Leaf Blade's Power to 90 because most grass types are special attackers, or just have a low attack stat. Sceptile could abuse the move if it wasn't so frail ...

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Back in Gen 1, Hyper Beam had a mechanic that if it landed a kill, you don't have to recharge the next turn. They could bring back that mechanic to make Hyper Beam and other similar moves useful in battle.

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years
Porygon-Z can do damage with Hyper Beam.

150 - Hyper Beam
300 - Adaptability + 100% (+150)
375 - Normal STAB + 50% (+75)
450 - Normal Gem + 50% (+75)

Max out a Porygon-Z's special attack at 405.

Years
Strong moves like Hyper Beams are I think too strong i-e You know with a power of 150. everyone knows after using them the user has to recharge. I am with this theory so they should not be changed. Instead many strong moves from other types which have still to reach the 150 Power should be introduced.

Back