• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Fanfic I need help :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Ok im new at makin a pokemon fanfic but i have written my own stories though.
I was really wondering if I could use a pichu, pikachu, and raichu cuz they're my favs, but im sure tons of ppl write about them, and how do i link the character's pokemon to their city and region. Ex: trainer A lives in the sinnoh but has a pokemon A from the hoenen. How would i link the story. Travelled, recieved, gift etc.
And what would b more popular Evil team plot or a more romantic plot.
Do human become pokemon or vice versa kind of plot work out well? and what kind of plot do u expect of it? a mystery dungeon thing?
Thxs for any help or advice :D

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
You know, there are some things that are really important in writing (like research, which is something you seem to have done, and general originality, and readability, and so forth), but the most important of them is that you have to enjoy what you're writing. When you enjoy writing, it will show, and the readers will enjoy reading your story. So, when you think of things like this, the most important opinion is usually your own. If Pichu, Pikachu, and Raichu are your favourites, then write about them. Who cares if we've seen them being used in fanfics for years! If you're not copying any of those fanfics, it will likely be something new. If you want your trainer in Sinnoh to have Hoenn Pokémon, use whichever explanation pleases you most or happens to suit the story and the character. Evil team plots and romantic plots are probably equally popular and used, so you can choose whichever one you feel more like writing about: or, better yet, you can combine the two into a single story, like many people do.

Pokémon transforming into people and vice versa isn't all that common, actually, and it has a lot of unexplored frontier to be explored. Some people do pokémorph stuff, which can be pretty good and has a lot of room for darker themes, for example. Many people also use the plot from PMD games, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does get old. You know, the whole deal with three-Pokémon rescue teams and so forth. If you want to write a fic like that, then go for it, but think a little first: will the fic bring anything new to the readers, or is it just the same thing than in Mystery Dungeon? If it doesn't bring us anything new, you should develop the story and reconsider some things about it before actually writing it. If you think you're on to something fresh and original, then go for it. Mistakes can be fixed later.

So, long story short: do what you feel is best. People are probably going to like a story that's well written and that the author loves themselves, as opposed to one the author writes to please their readers. If you write while aiming to have as many readers as possible, you'll likely end up ditching the whole project, abandoning the fic, and neglecting the readers you had. If you like writing the story, you'll stick to it until the end, and your readers will love you for that - you have no idea how many chaptered fics go unfinished. That doesn't mean you shouldn't listen to reviewers, though. You should definitely listen to people's advice and take note of it, but in the end, it's your fic, so it's your call. ^-^

I hope this helped!

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
I'm not going to reiterate what An-Chan's just said, but I'm going to touch on another vital issue that you need to consider before writing your fanfic. Grammar has to be the second most important thing that you're going to need if you're going to start writing. If you've read the section rules, you'll notice that fics are expected to be of a certain quality before being posted (i.e. Readable and not full of l33t speak and or internet lingo). For first timers, it's okay if your fic isn't 100% perfect (even veterans sometime need the helpful hand or two when it comes to grammar) but bear in mind that you have the potential to improve and you have to use this potential to improve.

As evident by your first post, I'd say that if you always write like that, you'd have a hard-time adapting to proper grammar, but that's just an analysis based on your first post so don't be too offended as you can't judge a book by its cover(goes the adage).

So yeah, basically grammar is important, second only to creativity.

For now, I'm going to recommend that you read these helpful guides written by our best to get you started.
Basic Pokemon Writing FAQ
Elite Overlord LaSabre's Grammar Advice Thread

Also, check out some grammar help guides everywhere else online.
http://grammar.about.com/od/punctuationandmechanics/a/punctrules.htm

Finally, reading fanfics and books will help you a lot with getting started.

Best of luck...

Years
THXS :D
i appreciate all the comments u guys have given me. An-chan and Mizan de la Plume Kuro i really am pleased that you two have put the time and thought into replyin to me, even if i only took u several minutes to write. Mizan, I am pretty good and grammar and english but help is always needed, so if u dont mind i mite pm u a segment that u could look over to see if my grammar needs help. I do like that u have put guides to help me, but I don't have the time to read all of it, but if u feel that i should after i post a story,then please tell me so. An-chan your advice is very helpful! I love to write and please so if u could offer something i mite like to try, i'll be happy to oblige. I'm thinking i should write a pokemon PMD romance thing. I'm not so sure, but I'm hoping to use a pichu and azurill! :D THXS again

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2010
My Advice to you is to tell a story when you have a story you need to tell.

If you write for the sake of just writing you'll get writer's block and you'll struggle to produce good work.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
My Advice to you is to tell a story when you have a story you need to tell.

Wise words. Like I always say: "If you really want to write a story, it will write itself for you." Don't dwell on others' opinions to design every little piece of your story - of course, you should definitely listen to reviewers and whatnot when they point out some things wrong with your fic (and I know there will be some things wrong with your fic, just like everyone else's), but... well, let me ask you a question. Think hard: Would you rather write a story you loved and get no appreciation for it, or would you rather write a story you're not that fond of and get tons and tons of attention and reviews? Personally, I'd write the former because I get little-to-no reviews anyway :D. There aren't many ettiquete rules when writing fanfiction - one of my dearest characters is a Raichu, actually - and if you read a couple of fanfics then the tropes and clichés should soon become apparent.

Years
thxs but the thing is i want to write but i myself am not confident enough so i always ask for advice
but i appreciate the words of wisdom :D

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
I was scared out of my wits the first time I put up a fanfic on the Internet, frankly. Just keep posting and at least one person will like it. :D

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
Yeah, the first fanfic is always the hardest to write and post. It gets easier, believe me.

(I'm hardly a role model, by the way. Though I've written lots of fanfiction - thousands and thousands of words' worth - I haven't actually finished any of them. ^_^;;; I need to work on that, eh?)

miley810

Assassin
Years
Well I say you could say when they just started out somebody important to the charecter gave them the pokemon.Sorry if my advise dosen't seem to good.That all I can help you with right now sorry.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Same as the last thread. Don't bump threads, reread the rules, and double-check the date of the last post.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back