• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Charos, Return of the Dragon King

Years
[RMXP] Pokemon Charos, Return of the Dragon King.

Currently ceasing production after losing the 25% completed Beta version. For now this is a permanent Hiatus.

Pokemon Charos

Return of the Dragon King.

• Developed using RMXP and Pokemon Essentials Starter Kit.

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Videos
Spoiler:

Gym Battles
Spoiler:

Changes to Pokemon Evolution
Spoiler:

Story

Spoiler:

Characters
Spoiler:
Features

• Single starter Pokemon, Eevee. Evolution stones will be offered onetime, early on in the game. If declined player gains Everstone.
  • No stone Evolutions, or trade Evolutions.
  • No Rival, Protagonist vs Antagonist based storyline.
  • 10 Required Badges for the "battle Royal"
  • 18 Gyms which can be battled, and unlocked.
  • 6 Different Gym Branches, Archetypes or Difficulties. Whichever is easiest to wrap your brain around.
  • HM's unlocked by the completion of each "Archetype"
  • Only 6 HM's, the HM's are still undecided but will 100% include Surf, Fly, and Strength.
  • Single Pokemon starter, this is currently being decided.
  • No rival throughout game play, to reveal more would spoil part of the story.
  • 4 Cities, 9 Villages, 5 Forests, 2 Caverns, 2 Peaks, 50 Routes, 1 Large Island.
  • Pokemon Gyms and Arena's outside of major cities or towns. Similar to Koga's Gym(Fuschia Gym) in the anime.
  • Out of the 6 Archetypes you will need to gain different amounts of badges in order to proceed with the game.
  • The "Very Easy" gyms require you to gain 2 badges out of the 4 "very easy" Gyms.
  • The "Easy" gyms require 1 badge out of the 2 "Easy" Gyms.
  • The "Medium" gyms require 2 Badges out of the 4 "Medium" Gyms.
  • The "Medi-Hard" gyms require 3 Badges out of the 5 "Medi-Hard" Gyms.
  • The "Hard" gyms require 1 badge out of the 2 "Hard" Gyms.
  • The "Master" gym only has 1 gym and requires this gym for progression.
  • Badge types are as follows-Field Badges, Conif Badges, Melus Badges, Virod Badges, Grais Badges, and the single Lynd Badge.
Credits

• Poccil
  • Flameguru
  • All others who have worked on Pokemon Essentials Starter Kit
  • Maruno for his Pokemon Essentials Kit Work, and help with coding issues.
  • Abnegation for their guide on PESK, without that I would not have even attempted this.
  • Nickalooose for advice, feedback, and general assistance.
Project Members

• BrakeNeck(Randy) of Brake Neck Studios.
Progress
Not Started
In Progress
Completed

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
If you're using Maruno's Essentials he should be properly credited...

On to your game... Out of the few games I'm watching, this sounds more fun to play... As opposed to an interesting plot etc. I'd like to know more about the easy, medium and hard gym thing, looks interesting, but I'm a little confused with the fact easy needs one gym but medium needs one... I may be confused here, but isn't Phanpy a normal type and evolves into a ground type? But Houndour is a Dark/Fire type and Carvanha a Dark/Water type, its a little unbalanced for type wise... Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Years
If you're using Maruno's Essentials he should be properly credited...

On to your game... Out of the few games I'm watching, this sounds more fun to play... As opposed to an interesting plot etc. I'd like to know more about the easy, medium and hard gym thing, looks interesting, but I'm a little confused with the fact easy needs one gym but medium needs one... I may be confused here, but isn't Phanpy a normal type and evolves into a ground type? But Houndour is a Dark/Fire type and Carvanha a Dark/Water type, its a little unbalanced for type wise... Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I had no idea Maruno was doing work on PESK, the link which I was given to get the Kit was from a Thread made by Poccil, which linked me to the Wiki website, I had unwittingly credited him for help with random encounters without knowing that.

With the Gym Archetype's I just added more of an Explanation of what I had originally meant. There will be 6 Badge types, in order to compete in the Battle Royal you must Attain that number of badges from each Arch-type. I will reveal the names and branches of badges, as I develop cities/towns and Gyms.

With the starters, yeah I just kind of picked at random of Pokemon I enjoyed. That will be changed, for sure, it will be heavily effect upon what Pokemon I place in each of the Gyms. And note when I say "Very easy" or "Easy" I do not mean, the Pokemon will drop like rocks. I am implying on the amount of Pokemon the Gym leader will have, and the variations of their levels.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Oh I understand... They are all gyms, but seperated by the easy, medium and hard thing... That's a nice idea, I like that... What if someone decides to go for all 5 medium gyms, does that negate a couple of the other gyms?

EDIT: is this in any production or just an idea?

Also, what does "King Of The Dragons" have anything to do with this?

Years
Oh I understand... They are all gyms, but seperated by the easy, medium and hard thing... That's a nice idea, I like that... What if someone decides to go for all 5 medium gyms, does that negate a couple of the other gyms?

EDIT: is this in any production or just an idea?

Also, what does "King Of The Dragons" have anything to do with this?

In response to the King of the Dragons, it pertain to Charos's nickname given to him by by the residents of the region, Hyperia. As he is the main Antagonist, that's why the subtitle exists. I may end up taking it off, as it is not on the actual Splash intro Screen, but I am not sure yet.

I have started production on this, I have the Starter Town, the ability to get starters, a Route, and one of the many forests done. I will soon begin work on the Region map and the gym's them selves.

The only thing I am concerned about being possible or not possible, is having the Archetype's for the gyms the way I like it.

As to getting all 5 badges in the "Medium" range, applying to the total value. If I can code it properly, big if there, it will be as such.

The player MAY gain all 18 badges. So, they MAY gain all 4 badges from say the "Very Easy" bracket, but in order to progress forward to the "Medium" Gyms, they MUST gain access to either Scripted events, HM's, or the Out-of-battle usage of said HMs by attaining the required badges.

So, theoretically, a player could gain access to the Master Gym, have 17 Badges, but still be unable to take part in Kidan's Battle Royal because they do not have the last Tier of Badges gained.

Post Script-I hope this answered any questions, if not. let me know and I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Years
Spoiler:

Finally have the first Gym town complete, beginning to work on adding trainers into the routes, Trelum Forest, and starting the second Field Badge. The Screenshots above have some "story" information, so only look if you really want spoilers.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Congrats on the pictures... One problem from me on them, they are mixed, from blurry to different sizes... Try and use PNG for your extension... Also, another thing that could help is decreasing from millions of colours down to say 255, just an example.

Now, I don't like the mixture of Gen3 tiles (is that?), with Gen4+ battle, it looks odd next to each other in the pictures.

Thanks for clearing up the gym thing too

Years
I can make the pictures so they are a bit easier to view, originally I had them set up with the full format from the game, but they were just too large to view all of them at once, I will be able to make a comprehensive spreadsheet later today.

In response to the Gen 3/Gen four tile's Mixture, honestly the only tiles I knowingly mixed, and could see with detail were from a different generation is one set of Benches, otherwise they look similar in graphics, to the point the fell alright together, in my opinion. The Tile set I am using is from PESK most recent version, for both the Battle's and the World Tiles.

Although, I have edited a few sprites in order to make it so they can overlap the way I like them too. Personally I did not play much of the GEN IV/V games, that was one of my biggest concerns coming into the developmental stages of a fan game, I have little to no knowledge of the Stories, Pokemon, or Graphics from Gen IV/V.

I will update the pictures as soon as I can, and make an update post on it, if you could let me know how they will when I make them less random, and a lot more Chronicled. Along with having the screenshots Chronicled, the reason they are varying sizes is because I am using Print Screen+Paint in order to make the screens, is there a pre-built function for the option to screenshot? Or what is the normal protocol, which you(or other devs) have used in order to Catalog progress visually?

Last edited:
Years
Today I added a teaser video of the first 3-4 minutes of game play. This is obviously a pre-pre-alpha video as it displays typographically errors, and if played still has simple exploits. I will be working on this as often as possible, and I am pleased with my current progress.

Added the entire list for Evolution changes. All but a few Pokemon now evolve through level ups, if they do not it was because it was completely impractical, or because there were two potential evolutions. I felt players would be more aggravated if I changed those forms into single formed Pokemon, they are based off of Happiness. Almost all baby Pokemon now evolve using levels, due to the fact all stone Evolutions, excluding Eevee's are gone.

Thank you to anyone who's following this, remember to check the story semi-regularly, I update it frequently.

-Randy

Last edited:

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
The video doesn't work for me... Congrats on the progress though.

Years
Thank you very much, I had to change the video to a link for now. I have seen them as video on other posts, apparently I fail on that aspect.

I will have to put the region map off until tomorrow, I did get Pokemon spawns added to a lot of areas, and built some new routes.

I uploaded some new screens, they are in the smaller version of the game, but they still get the job done. Rictor's name does appear properly inside the game, I changed his name as a joke for a friend who is Alpha testing, and I forgot to change it back.

Last edited:

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I watched the video...

A couple things... Some of the graphics don't go with what's happening on screen, using the PC's, the screens are off, Waving as you leave the house, he's still facing the door and there is no wave animation, but the latter isn't a problem, the Pokéball and Dex, doesn't quite fit on the table, the first ball you see that rolls around, is just blocking the way, maybe move it to the side somewhere and move it left to right.

Grammer errors all over...

One part where you choose what Eevee you want, you clicked, the "isn't there more" option, but let's say we click that, but didn't want any, there is no way to go to the last page, try using an Essentials choice menu, that would fit better for your game.

I don't quite understand the beginning with explaining the stones and such, but I guess we wouldn't have to read through all that if we didnt want to, right?

I see you changed the way Eevee evolves by using moon and sun stones instead?!

It's a good start to be honest, not too complicated, I was a little confused with the picking the PokéBall up in your house, then your mom saying take it later on, when you already have it... Or was it just the ball, I couldn't quite keep up with the text haha but I did notice a grammer error straight away though haha.

Years
Yeah I went through and corrected A LOT of the grammar errors. Honestly I have a larger idea for the introduction, I just have to edit the Initial Splash screens, and the "professor" of the game.

As to the Dex and the Poke-ball, I also noticed that error, i will be working on fixing that.

I have also begun editing the array of choices one has through conversation. As to the mother reminding you not to forget Eevee, I simply forgot to "disable" that for the Video; as it does play into the larger scheme of things.

All of the Information on the computers is simply for when this becomes distributable, and players either do not read the wall of text here to see the differences; or they simply ignore it and cannot figure out how to evolve Eevee on my game.

I know some of the Events, and the scripting are a bit laid back; thank you very much for the feedback, as soon as I get some of the event's working better, and a much better recording program I will re-upload the video, and go from there. This is just more of showing the fact, I have a starter and a schematic out there. I will be working on a lot of the little details today.

Evolutions: If you look on my Wall of Text post, I have actually changed the way numerous evolutions in the game occur, this is something I could see some players having an issue with; but that for a fact is something that will stay.

Thank you again for the feedback, I am working to fix a lot of the issues you pointed out, it's more of a limitation by progression.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Yeah I'm here to help haha, don't want you to release your game with so many errors and problems, sometimes simple is the best way.

Graphical errors are the eaasiest to fix, especially when all you have to do is move the graphic up a few pixels or changing the saturation.

I did see your Pokémon evolve differently, they also do in my game too, and I have no problems with it, providing you work it out right, not just willy nilly make Pokémon evolve with stones and what have you, I do however think, that the whole point of the beginning was to give the player an volved Eevee, don't make the player recieve an Eevee, but give the player a choice like you did, but give the player that evolved Eevee, then to give the illusion of already "owning" an Eevee, use $Trainer.owned[133]=true, this will show up in the PokéDex as the player owned an Eevee but in the game screen has a Vaporeon, for example, but make sure that after you give the player the Eevee, use:

$Trainer.party[$Trainer.party.length-1]
.gender
.shininess

Do a check to make this sure on what it's doing... Then do the exact same thing with the evolved form to make sure the Eevee wasn't a male, then the evolved form has been snipped haha... This is just an idea of how to make your beginning event a little more structual, let's say...

It's fine you have information, but it's a lot to read and MANY players don't like to read pages and pages of text, especially during game-play... Just a consideration.

Grammer errors are a given sometimes and sometimes can't be help, sometimes I have to press a button like 5 times for it to work but I can write about 3 paragraphs with 50-75 words each in a minute, so when I type sometimes I miss letters and I won't see it until someone points it out or I play test that event.

On a side note, I need a recording program myself, is the one you used not good? I can't find one that does what I want it to do, record my game with sound and smoothness, then saves it with a clear picture, some programs lag my laptop, others are just shocking... I'd like to know of any program if you or anyone else has got one.

Years
I am actually planning on giving the player the option to evolve or keep Eevee as is, instead of just forcing an evolved form on them. The main reason Eevee is found in your house is because it's the reason you, as the player, became able to go out into the Pokemon World again.

One thing I tried, to do but failed; not sure if I Can script it the way I would like, is having the player be given say, Vaporeon, and their Eevee is "taken" instead of him giving the player the Evolutionary stone, that way it seems more fluid to game play. I easily discovered how to add Pokemon silently, it was more the script to "remove" Pokemon did not seem to work for me, your idea, and what I just wrote gave me an idea though.

As to the walls of text, I will most likely transfer all of that into a read me, but it's all optional text; it's not required to continue into the story, but it's knowledge and back story I want to have actually present in the game.

And for your final question the program I am using to record with is Cam Studio.
I downloaded it from here

It checked out with my Adware/Malware/Virus scanners, but you can do whatever checks you feel necessary. It functions as a desktop recorder, but you can set it to capture a certain section, and center sized window, which is how I did my recording. So it's a bit aggravating, but the image did come out clear.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
The bit about evolving Eevee without actually evolving Eevee, was what I explained about, using a certain method of doing it, $Trainer.party[$Trainer.party.length-1], is what will do this, just remove Pokémon at position 0, then add to party silent again for evolved form, but remember to make the evolved form the same gender as Eevee.

Years
I have a completely new Introduction video to my Alpha Version of Pokemon Charos, Return of the Dragon King. This goes all the way to the trainer catching his second Pokemon. If you're watching this game please check it out. I do show a bit of the text which is optional in the game; Enjoy.

Tonight and Tomorrow, I will work on some more Pokemon Encounters and Gym #2. I have decided to put off the area Map until I have all of the in game Mapping done, so I do not have to constantly update for changes.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Good video, I enjoyed watching it, I had to mute it though, the music was annoying, any chance you could use the in-game music?

On another note, Better story line you've put, better visuals, better in all fairness... Good job, I would like to of seen more game then writing, but what I saw was fine, I don't think you should have put a Mareep in the first patch of grass, but it's your choice... Well done anyway... Like to see more.

Years
Yeah I actually plan on editing a lot of the grass now, the only thing that is confirmed is how full of life Trelum Forest will be, to get all of the Pokemon from there, will take a nice chunk of time. I agree on mareep also, I have to go through and actually figure out some good Pokemon to place in different areas. Sadly I did not play any Gen IV so I am lack there of on knowledge for those games, and how they pout Pokemon into their games.

Thanks for the feedback though, and as to the music I would have to find a different recorder which I am working on. As to the Wall of text, instead of events that's due to lack of programming, however long this game takes, that introduction will change A LOT.

Back