• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"spA obv means super effective attacks"

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So we were all young and foolish at one point, actually, for some (aka me) not that long ago.

Whether you play competitively or just battle occasionally, what are some of the unusual ideas you may have had in regards to battling in general, or things you've done that you might now say "God what was I thinking?" For example putting just an oran berry on all your Pokemon or thinking that ghost attacks worked on normal types, or even something as simple as not taking abilities of any Pokemon into account..

Share your experiences!

Years
Along with what Live said, I remember thinking Blissey was some undefeatable wall, because I kept hitting it with Special Attacks and it just kept tanking them. I also remember getting swept by Scarf Heatran and thought it was uncounterable, luckily, Blissey proved this belief wrong.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • N/A
  • Seen Mar 23, 2013
Well, not so much a dumb moment for me, but a "WTF!?!?" moment of what was I thinking: When a Flygon used Dig, and my EQ still missed it.

So, in short, the time when I found out that Dig doesn't cancel out Levitate while underground.

Also, I used to think that Water beat Fighting for whatever reason. Guess it was because my Marshtomp beat Brawly so easily.

Gilgαmesh

Lets just say I kinda sucked at Pokemon synergy back then.

River

Ninjah Penguin <3
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 16, 2011
The second I got Pearl version, I decided I was some battling genius and ran out onto wifi with my pitiful team of untrained, in-game NFE pokemon. I got massacred u.u Don't judge me, I'd never battled competitively before then. Oh, those sweet noobish days when I thought having a level 100 pokemon made you cool :3

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Since I always used to think that Gyarados was water/dragon, I always used Ice Beam on him, for two reasons as well: 2x on dragon of course, but I thought that it was 2x on water as well, because I thought that the Ice would freeze the water. I also never realised that Gengar was poison type as well, which made me think that psychic was supper effective on ghost, and then I didn't understand why I'd get killed by psychic types lol.

I thought that 'physical' meant where the Pokémon would literally touch the opponent, and that made me think Earthquake was special. I also thought that the only item Pokémon should be having was Leftovers lol.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Always seem to mess up type effectiveness... Always assume that ice is good against bug, fighting was bad against grass and since the first Generation messed up the typing, I've always thought pyschic was good against itself. :p

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I distinctly remember being told that Steel was the best defensive type and I was adamant on making myself the best defensive team there was, so I used six Steel-types.

And then I met Heatran.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I forgot to change Jellicent's ability to Water Absorb for a battle against Karpman after already knowing he was using Gyarados. ._____.;
This is was like.. a couple days ago. lol

But yeah, I had a Monotype team when I first started. Need I say more? D:

Years
  • Seen Feb 11, 2014
I used to think switching out pokemon was a cheap tactic.
I used to think starters were the best pokemon to have on your team.
I thought tanks were useless.
I believed that boost moves were useless because they didn't do damage.
Flamethrower was the best move in the game.
I thought all flying pokemon should know fly.
I used to think EV training took forever and ultimately wasn't worth it.

Yep...was a noob.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Well, lets see;

- Thought Psychic moves were supereffective on Ghost-types. (Thanks, Gengar)
- Didn't know Electric moves affected Rock-types.
- I also didn't know Poison types were useless against Steel-types.

Yeah I was a noob when it came to types. ):

Back