• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Years
Put an asterisk on me, we are third in the league but we still need 5 more points to guarantee that direct CL spot, and we haven't beaten Madrid for 14 years so you can guess how I feel about the Madrid - Atlético Cup final at the Bernabéu...

Well even 3rd with a cup final would be a good season. Obviously winning the cup would make it a much better season.

Benfica proved it's much better than Fenerbahçe and we are back to an european final, 23 years later. Chelsea is a great team but we want to get some revenge from last year :3

In my opinion, this will be the most prestigious Europa League final we have had so far.

Congratulations on reaching the final, I think Chelsea could definitely drop this one and they looked pretty weak in the first half last night.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
I guess anything that isn't 18th, 19th or 20th is a good season for my lot this time round. A good set of results this weekend would be massive.

Good result for Benfica and Cardozo getting a double meant a good reult for my skybet account funds.

Years
Norwich aren't looking nearly as safe now. I'm hoping it's Newcastle or Sunderland who fall into the relegation zone though.

We lost on the last day today, dropping four places for an awful final position of 16th.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Man City game on the last day will be torture if we don't beat WBA next week that's for sure. At least I'm not blaming the ref for the result this week.

Don't like thinking about what would happen if we stay on 38 so I'm not. Norwich have been good against the top 10 so I'm sure we'll be fine. I hope.

16th, ouch.

Years
Well if Wigan can beat WBA I'm sure you can.

Ouch indeed, Mowbray will remain charge regardless unfortunately.

Anyway, there has been a great story some might have missed today. Link

Watford's Spanish goalkeeper Manuel Almunia pulled a hamstring in the warm-up meaning a late call into the starting line-up for Jonathan Bond and a place on the bench for teenager Jack Bonham, who had been expecting to watch the game from the stands.
But within 10 minutes of kick-off Bond found himself on the way to hospital after a heavy collision with team-mate Ikechi Anya and the hitherto unknown Bonham was thrown into the deep end.

A young goalie who literally hasn't even played a semi-pro game had to play a massive game for Watford today. Quite a good story in my opinion.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Yah, that is a good story.

Championship threw up my favourite football thing this weekend actually. Wolves fans singing "Que sera sera, whatever will be will be, we're going to Shrewsbury" made me smile,

Years
Haha, self-aimed humour is always good in football, there's been a large amount of sarcastic clapping at the Riverside lately.

I can't believe they're now a League One club.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
"Lets pretend we scored a goal" has been heard at Carra Rud a few times this season.

Indeed, 'tis what they get for getting rid of sexy Mick. >one in the hole

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Didn't you hear about Hull? They needed a win to be promoted to the Premiership, and they were indeed winning 2-1 against Cardiff City. On top of that, they secured a penalty in the 92nd minute, so fans jumped into the pitch to celebrate. But, once they were removed, they missed the penalty... and conceded another one to Cardiff on the counter. Result: 2-2 in the 95th minute. Fans once again flood the pitch, but with a very different mood, listening to the Watford-Leeds match (and indeed Watford lost and Hull were promoted).

I wouldn't have wanted to be there during those minutes XD

Pillodox

Ruff
Years
Great thing Cardiff are in the PL next season (I Support Cardiff btw)

P·S Are 2 football threads necessary?

Years
Man, I'm so ******! Last Thursday we played so well against Fenerbahçe, and now we do this crap...We unexpectingly conceaded a draw today against 6th placed Estoril at our home. Carllos Martins, a central midfielder, managed to get 2 stupid yellow cards after he replaced injured Enzo Perez. What a bastard!! We also missed clear goal chances like hell...
redcard.gif
redcard.gif
redcard.gif

Now we lost our confortable 4 points advantage and we're only 2 points ahead of Porto. The next match is...Porto vs Benfica! The atmosphere there will be terrific, if you know what i mean
baseball_bat_smiley.gif
boxe.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Getting ready to watch the Wigan game. Will probably **** myself every time they get in the Swansea half.

I nearly died. Fantastic match.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
So, I've heard Sir Alex Ferguson retires after his long spell with Manchester United and has taken a ambassador role in the club.

Years
Indeed, it is a dark day for football. I'll certainly miss Sir Alex and there's a good chance United will be replaced at the top by a much less desirable club. If Moyes takes over with Sir Alex as Director it'll be as if nothing changed though.

I don't know how to react properly yet, it's still very surprising news.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
A most interesting piece of news, that. Definitely one of the most successful coaches, and he created a legacy.

Bet the people at the club are wondering who the heck they're going to get now. :V

WooliestSteam

A Little Wooly Piece of Steam
Years
Yeah just heard there now Sir Alex is gone, sad day in football al right. Never was a huge supporter of Man U. but damn that man knew how to manage a team!

I wonder who is in mind to replace him?

Years
The main candidates at the moment are Jose Mourinho (on the basis of a long standing theory that Mourinho is upset at Madrid and wants to take over from his friend) and David Moyes (on the basis of a long standing theory that he's Scottish and that naturally makes him Fergie's successor for some reason).

Outsiders for the job include Klopp (Dortmund manager) and Solskjaer (ex-United player currently managing in Norway).

I'd be really surprised if it wasn't Mourinho or Moyes though.

WooliestSteam

Years
I think Chelsea are trying to rope Mourinho back in as well I read on Sunday. I wonder how that's going to play out, both teams out for Mourinho. David Moyes looks pretty decent also, I wonder though would he be able to manage a top side like United coming from Everton?

It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Moyes has been touted for the job for as long as I can remember. I think it's his moderate success at a club that don't have extravagant resources that makes people think he'd be a good replacement.

Moyes is a much safer bet than Mourinho for me. Would love to see him back in England though.

WooliestSteam

Years
Personally I'd love to see Mourinho back at Chelsea.

1) Because I'm a Chelsea fan. D:
2) He was a top class manager when we had him, definitely one of the best we had.

But biased opinion aside Mourinho would make a great manager a United, but yeah Moyes seems to be the man for the job atm.

Back