• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do you think Red is overpowered?

Do you think Red is overpowered?

• Yes.

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • No.

Votes: 97 84.3%

• Total voters

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
I personally believe his challenge was one that was suppose to harder than everyone else. And I appreciated that challenge.

I think GF was trying to convey a sense of power through him as he was the Champion from Kanto and he was you.

He's a legend.

First time players of G/S/C and sS/hG may have not expected to see him at the top of Mt. Silver. When we pass by the checkpoint before we confront the Elite Four the guard says that the mountain is treacherous and makes the player even more curious. Like "Aw, hell. Now I definitely got to get up there." or "Somethings up there... >:3".

But, again to answer the question. I don't believe he was overpowered, no. I think he was just the right strength to make you battle him in awe.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
Honestly and definitely no offense, I think both Barry and Cynthia was more challenging.
They both gave me the hard time, like a have to use lots of recovery items and revives...

Red was challenging back in the days of Gen II, but with the successor generations introducing more and more Pokemon and toys to play with. Older Pokemon tends to lose their lustrous by little and little. Though there are few like Gengar and Gyarados who are still able to continue to shine, but sadly they themselves are also struggling. :( Therefore Red didn't give that much challenge, and I was disappointed too.

Years
No. It might just be me, but I feel that all you really need to do is get to a level high enough to the point where he doesn't kill everything in one hit while you can beat him in two (granted, that's easier said than done given how stupid training in HGSS is).

Seriously, in my Nuzlocke I beat him without losing a single Pokémon. Not that that's saying much, but yeah.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
To be quite honest... I thought he was pretty easy to beat. I mean, sure...his Pokemon were up to L90 and when I battled him my Pokemon weren't even that close. (L60 tops) xD I was hoping he would be much more challenging...but idk...his battle stats kinda sucked? xD

Fernando Torres

Class on grass
Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
Guys, Red is the ultimante trainer. He disbanded Team Rocket, got all badges, remains amazing in all 5 gens, and (I think) his Pokémon are still the highest level that you can battle in game. He is supposed to be "Overpowered" because he's done everything to deserve his status and difficulty in GS/HGSS.

Years
I think he's perfect. I'm having difficulty beating him in my current file at the moment which is just the way it should be. Like everyone's said, he's done so much, taken out Team Rocket singlehandedly, become the Champion, retired, spent three years training...plus the fact he doesn't say anything when you talk to him always sends chills up my spine and upon seeing his Ash-like Pokemon team it's just really freaking awesome to battle him.

If he was any weaker than he is I'd be disappointed, he's supposed to be the Super Mega Final Boss and the last foe you face so if he was weaker and didn't pose as much of a challenge I probably wouldn't want to play after beating him.

Hiresh

POKEMON LEGEND
Years
  • Seen Aug 24, 2013
He was not overpowered at all.
Its fun to have a challenging trainer
Super effective pokemons do the trick

Years
I'm gonna go ahead and say no. He's a good trainer. You beat Gary, the champion in 1st gen. What level would his Pokemon be, level 60's? That would be way too weak. I think he's just fine. His Pikachu isn't that strong anyways, despite it's level. The defenses aren't that good and everything else, just use Pokemon that can cause serious damage.

Whyvile

Toot your horns
Years
On the contrary, that Pikachu gave me a hell of a time. None of my pokemon could go faster than it, and it's Volt Tackle could kill everything except Snorlax in one hit. I had to resort to having Snorlax kill it just by getting hit.

Charizard was fairly easy, due to Golem Rock Sliding it.

Blastoise and Lapras were taken out by Meganium.

Snorlax was beaten by my Gardevoir, with Focus Blast. Took a few hits.

Psychic made quick work of Venusaur.

Overall, I won't say Red was overpowered, as much as that damn Pikachu.

Emburn

<3
Years
Looking at his Pokemon, if you can match his levels and plan a team that's super effective against him, I don't think you'd have a problem at all.

Back