• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cruel and unusual

Years
So is this wrong?

Im attempting to breed my "perfect" pokemon team, with that being said i need to catch some dittos. Well my little method of doing this is using a level 50 ditto as my lead and letting the opposing ditto "transform" into well another ditto... Once it does that it only has the move *transform* once it uses that it just hurts itself because it has no more moves, making it easy to catch the little sucker..

whats your opinion?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Well it all boils down to Pokemon ethics, and in this case I don't think it's too bad haha. It's like questioning the ethics of poisoning, burning, and even just attacking Pokemon to make them easier to catch.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
You could just buy a bunch of Repeat Balls and through them.

Guy

just a guy
Years
If Pokémon were living things it would be totally cruel, but since they're not, I'd say it's rather evil genius of you. Although, maybe too much trouble worth my time for me if must say so.

Since this isn't so X and Y specific, I'm just gonna send this off to Syd's forum instead where it's better suited.

Years
Quick Ball all the way.
I don't go anywhere without them, they save a lot of time and have a quite high catch rate. Realistically I think I fail once every four to seven times on average.

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
Years
Well it all boils down to Pokemon ethics, and in this case I don't think it's too bad haha. It's like questioning the ethics of poisoning, burning, and even just attacking Pokemon to make them easier to catch.

here's a worse one, how about breeding a pokemon to have a bunch of babies, then selecting which one you like to keep for further breeding, while throwing away the rest to conserve space in the computer?

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I'm sure there's a more practical method by letting him transform into a Pokémon with a fairly high catch rate.
Ditto in itself is pretty hard to catch, in fact it's harder to catch than Celebi. So I'd suggest letting him transform into Pidgey (or some common X&Y Pokémon in your case) so it would be much easier to catch him. It's not being cruel, I mean compared to what's coming ahead it's almost a liberation.

So it's kind of better to let him transform and poison him or something instead.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Not upset at all just figured there might be a better way
False Swipe then Thunder Wave. This can be used to capture practically anything.

I'm sure there's a more practical method by letting him transform into a Pokémon with a fairly high catch rate.
Ditto in itself is pretty hard to catch, in fact it's harder to catch than Celebi. So I'd suggest letting him transform into Pidgey (or some common X&Y Pokémon in your case) so it would be much easier to catch him. It's not being cruel, I mean compared to what's coming ahead it's almost a liberation.

So it's kind of better to let him transform and poison him or something instead.
Since the fifth generation, Ditto no longer acquires the catch rate of what it transforms into.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
Some of the stuff that the evil teams do to Pokémon in the animé fit the cruel & unusual more than anything that can be found in any of the games.

However, if we're talking about Team Cipher turning them into Shadow Pokémon in Colosseum & Gale of Darkness? Now that's cruel & unusual.

Calamitastrophe

He's really feeling it
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
It's definitely unusual, I'll give you that.

Personally (and I'm just lazy), I just throw a Quick Ball. If that fails, I just spam Ultra Balls. I don't even bother with damage, I'm just that lazy. XD

Hatsuharu

☆ princess of despair ☆
Years
While there's certainly quicker ways of catching more Dittos, your plan does seem to be pretty clever and well thought-out. Nothing wrong with it in my book.

Back