• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In depth Advance Map tutorial

TheNerdyPotato

Feraligatr is actually a Croc!
Years
is there any easy way to get a pokemon from the Prof Oak pokeballs without using the event, like I want to just walk up and press it, see the pokemon and get it.
Also im a newb at this

V

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 30, 2016
Warps only work for me if they're in front staircases or on doors. They won't work for me when I try connecting forest levels. Is there a restriction on warp events that will only allow them to work on certain tiles?

*EDIT*
I do not get it! How do u insert d/p map tiles?
Edited tilesets? Sections 3-4 :P
Spoiler:

Also, when I went back, I think I found the answer to my question in section 6. Please disregard my n00b-ness :P

Last edited:

GuyNamedSean

Cobalt Scizor
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 12, 2019
Is there a way to edit what the region map looks like? Or maybe just the town map?

HentaiHentai

Banned
Years
I liked this new most of it, however it would be cool if you could give greater examples of map scripts. Oh, btw ty for the tiles behaviour part that is something I hadnt noticed yet.

Years
  • Seen Feb 28, 2011
Great Tutorial... Thumbs up!

I need a little help on the inserting new map.

Using Ruby version... I've recreate a map 24,14 and resize it to Width [ 35 ] and Height [ 100 ].

sssbo0.png

Once everything is done, I've always test out everything from the beginning and I encounter this major bug.

asdtc5.png

Any tips or idea on how to fix this, or avoid it?

V

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 30, 2016
That's one of the many reasons why I don't play around with scripts :(
I've tried reading tutorials about scripting various things, but once I start reading all of the random gibberish and all of those numbers... well, everything just goes in one eye and out the other.

link12552

decade club
Years
is there any easy way to get a pokemon from the Prof Oak pokeballs without using the event, like I want to just walk up and press it, see the pokemon and get it.
Also im a newb at this

First can you tell me which scripting language you are using?

(ie: XSE, PKSV, Pokescript)

Great Tutorial... Thumbs up!

I need a little help on the inserting new map.

Using Ruby version... I've recreate a map 24,14 and resize it to Width [ 35 ] and Height [ 100 ].

sssbo0.png

Once everything is done, I've always test out everything from the beginning and I encounter this major bug.

asdtc5.png

Any tips or idea on how to fix this, or avoid it?

This is not neccisarily a mapping error, but a scripting eror.

This happens when you put any new scripts in without using a new pionter for texts,

Solutions:
  • Open advance map save the map and add it to a fresh rom
  • Open all the scripts from the rom and look for problems in text/messages
  • Use advance map and correct the error.
To aviod the problem in the futture, use free space finder(s) to look for offsets to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Feb 28, 2011
This is not neccisarily a mapping error, but a scripting eror.

This happens when you put any new scripts in without using a new pionter for texts,

Solutions:
  • Open advance map save the map and add it to a fresh rom
  • Open all the scripts from the rom and look for problems in text/messages
  • Use advance map and correct the error.
To aviod the problem in the futture, use free space finder(s) to look for offsets to use. [/QUOTE]

"This happens when you put any new scripts in without using a new pionter for texts"

Fyi, I did not put any new script. All I adds was a couple of WARP. Eitherway, even I redo it again from a backup rom, the problem starts when I resize the map larger then it's original size. Which now, give you a hint that map resizing will not be 100% safe.

Question:
1. How do OPEN ALL SCRIPT from the ROM? Are you mean to say in the map itself or the whole entire rom? There's no program so far which I seen has that capability. Will you please elaborate.

2. The error which I have is coming from the Starting Introductions, and AMAP does not go that far. AMap only edit maps. How do I correct the error using AMap?

3. I've using #dynamic 0x800000 method for my scripting so FSF is quite useless for me. Even so, how do you actually calculate how much space you wanted for the new MAP?

link12552

decade club
Years

"This happens when you put any new scripts in without using a new pionter for texts"

Fyi, I did not put any new script. All I adds was a couple of WARP. Eitherway, even I redo it again from a backup rom, the problem starts when I resize the map larger then it's original size. Which now, give you a hint that map resizing will not be 100% safe.

Question:
1. How do OPEN ALL SCRIPT from the ROM? Are you mean to say in the map itself or the whole entire rom? There's no program so far which I seen has that capability. Will you please elaborate.

2. The error which I have is coming from the Starting Introductions, and AMAP does not go that far. AMap only edit maps. How do I correct the error using AMap?

3. I've using #dynamic 0x800000 method for my scripting so FSF is quite useless for me. Even so, how do you actually calculate how much space you wanted for the new MAP?[/quote]

In the post I meant to say Advance Text sorry for the typo:nervous:

Secondly when your scripting in XSE the dynamic tells it where to start the scripts offset. FSF finds an unused offset so that when you're compilling it doesn't erase or even mess up your script.

Also AMAP 1.90 & 1.91 have a map ressising error. For best results use 1.92.

IMPORTANT: when inserting a new map or any thing in AMAP, caution yourself from ussing the first offset you see.
The first sometimes leads to errors in the rom.

Notice: I do most of my scripting in pokescript, I am still familiar with using XSE, but it's just that I use more for ediiting or revising my scripts.

If you have any more questions about this error PM me.

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Im having a problem when Im saving the tileset on my computer it says when I open it on paint that it cant work with the saved format

link12552

decade club
Years
Im having a problem when Im saving the tileset on my computer it says when I open it on paint that it cant work with the saved format

1st make sure that your picking the right option:
You have to be under "Picture"

help2-1.png

P.S. Isn't this in my tutorial?

V.L.

The site's biggest noob
Years
Is it possible to add a flying position to a place that doesn't normally have one?

Years
  • Seen Jan 30, 2009
I have a problem. I can't Prof. Oak to follow me. He can't go to the lab properly. I also go to some place automatically and I appear inside the lab! Anyway on how to fix this?

Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2009
I have a problem, when I try to warp maps, it just goes to a random map, and when I go back to the map I was working on, it says there is no events, for this map, but I saved, I want to make a warp to the inside of the heroes house, on Fire Red, so I made a new map, and this keeps happening. Can somebody help me?

Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2012
I'm a little confused about making warps between maps with Advance map.
I figured that there would be warps between each and every map. For example, in the Pallet Town map, I thought that there would be warps that you would step on at the top of Pallet Town to take you to route 1, and vice versa.
But when I look at the events, there is nothing there! Is there a way to, say, change the 'exit' of Pallet town to be, for instance, on the right side of the map instead of the top? If I am going to make a hack with all different maps, I need a way to change the map entrances. Do they even use warps? I don't see how moving from city to route is handled by the game, or whether it's possible to change it.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
look at the connection viewer which is the icon with 4 arrows pointing in your compass directions (N,E,S,W)

Back