• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[GM8P] Project Flawless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossay

Quack quack
Years
Data Structures? I found them to be quiet slow as compared to 2-dimensional arrays. Besides, aren't these two the same:
ds_grid_set(id, x, y, val);
and
id[x,y]=val;
With the latter being not only faster but also less memory consuming. The only logical point to use a GM data structure is if you want to change all values in a region, which is not useful for Pokemon as well as that you can do the same with a for loop.

A little incorrect I believe; data structures were added to GM because they operate faster than arrays for complex proceedures (i.e. what you'll probably require them for when coding a Pokemon game). The main advantage of using them is because to sort and order a 2D array requires a great deal of difficulty and large sections of GML whereas data structures have built-in functions to do this for you; which, is where you will observe a speed difference is - as the scripting required to sort a 2D array lags more than a ds function.

Something that is always a stand in the way. How can you make a whole region appear without having to putting them in one room...?

It is a mystery.

The way they do it in Pokemon is to use several rooms and make the boundaries of the adjacent rooms look identically graphically. Then all you need to do is define a blank room transition and it flows from room to room as if they were a single one. Hope that helps you out a bit.

Last edited:

NatureKeeper

The way they do it in Pokemon is to use several rooms and make the boundaries of the adjacent rooms look identically graphically. Then all you need to do is define a blank room transition and it flows from room to room as if they were a single one. Hope that helps you out a bit.
Mine is doesn't have any navigation, it won't really matter. But this is a good trick nevertheless. You can use it, too Mr. DNZ games.

blue

gucci
Years
Finally, something in the Hoenn region, I love Pokémon Emerald and will certainly be looking forward to playing this!

Invokez

Formerly Known as SytheXP
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2011
Will definately be watching this looks pretty good. Not a fan of the Hoenn Region but maybe you can change my opinion on that region. :)

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
A little incorrect I believe; data structures were added to GM because they operate faster than arrays for complex proceedures (i.e. what you'll probably require them for when coding a Pokemon game). The main advantage of using them is because to sort and order a 2D array requires a great deal of difficulty and large sections of GML whereas data structures have built-in functions to do this for you; which, is where you will observe a speed difference is - as the scripting required to sort a 2D array lags more than a ds function.
I run only from my experience. Sure, a with a data structure, you can get the values faster but modifying takes a lot longer. I built an A* Pathfinding AI and it was slower using a data structure rather than a simple 2-dimensional array.

This is the way that most people do it. It is possible to have the whole region as one room, but it's harder to modify as scrolling to the right array will be a pain. There is a function that deactivates objects out of view, which is really helpful even when not making a whole room region as it speeds the game up quite considerably. The problem with making 1 town each room is that if you mess up 1 town, you have to edit it in 2 different rooms.

If you are a little more advanced, you can make the whole game in 1 room, and the map gets loaded from an array. If you do it this way, you'd have to make your own map creator program and with Game Maker, it might be a little slow on old computers. I made one once, where the whole region was loaded from a text file. Good too, if you want DLC, which was my goal(to download whole regions).

firebolt12

pokemon Master
Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2012
Ohh! Sounds cool! I love gen 3 and in 3d with the black white look? Awesome idea!

DNZGames

Team Atmos Leader
Years
Ok, I know I haven't done much lately (and its been nearly 2 months D:) but I am going to start prioritising this project over my other projects. Project Flawless will become top of my list again and expect updates at least weekly, if not every-other-daily :P

Sorry about the long wait.

Last edited:

*gejen*

no0bp0wner
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2011
An idea for your remake wether you use it or not is out of my control but after selecting what color the pokemon was (after ellte 4) your rival should catch the oppisite to get it on the pokedex.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Please do not revive threads over two months since its last post date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back