• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fear of secrets revealed?

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
So I wanted to ask you guys, don't you guys ever get worried about revealing the secrets of your teams when posting competitive set ups on this forum?
I'm not talking about the teams that are super obvious beat down teams. I'm talking about, have you guys ever made a strategy for your teams and then never wanted to reveal the secrets of your team unless in an actual battle?

^ This is literally the reason why I refuse to post my team information on the competitive forums. I don't have anything against you guys, I just don't like sharing secrets unless your an opponent on the receiving end of it. You know what I mean?

So does anybody else do this? Being scared to reveal your competitive strategy teams?
What's your guys opinion on this?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well, my teams aren't exactly majorly secret information or something with a big strategy, but I still kinda feel that way in general (totally gunna answer this in the sense of why I don't think I'll post an RMT).

I feel like it kinda gives the opponent an upper hand if they knew you adjusted the evs of a normal set slightly, so they adjust theirs accordingly (or something like that!). That and just idk I'd feel too out in the open if I were to make an RMT, it's weird but it's just how I see it tbh, lol.

Really I prefer improving when people mention something in the midst of the battle, or if you learn it yourself, while RMTs can be useful for some people I'm just generally not one to ask for help/comments and rather give it. :x

JordanD

Mark danced crazy
Years
I really dont care reviling my secert's have only hurt me once(now one of my "friends" has like four of my Pokemon custom sets and their hard to fight and the sets he gave me are basic smogon ones -_-) but yeah i dont care if someone steals it then that means it must be at least decent

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Yeah i hate it. I only post teams when i retire them now. If i post my #1 ladder team on smogon people just copy it, which is the case with my near every team i post there. I see it pop up all over the damn ladder after and then everyone uses it. I know copying me is a form of flattery but it really does bug the hell out of me. Its like "I know im awesome and hot and you want my babies, but you know learn to team build yourself nubtard". -_- When ive posted teams here even ive seen people post them as their own on other forums and had to track the morons down and massacre them verbally and get them infracted on other forums for plagiarism. :/

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I feel like it depends. If you're really stuck and don't know how to improve your team then people "stealing" your RMT shouldn't be much of a problem since your team already has issues etc. If you're posting a team to show off, then you should retire them with a RMT rather than post it and keep playing because obviously a) your team should be in its decline when you post a retiring RMT and b) it'll probably be used a lot after you post it. I don't think you should take offense to people stealing things but rather take it as a complement that your idea was good in their eyes. If your team is solid enough that people could take it and perform fairly well, I think you shouldn't post it until it's in its decline because that way you avoid people trying to take it to be used in its primetime and actually get help from people, too.

I guess I don't really care if people do whatever with my team. If you post a team you're giving those rights up.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
Yeah, I'm so glad I'm not the only one to be scared of revealing team secrets.
I as well have been having this problem frequently because of my weird competitive hobby. My weird pokemon hobby is I love finding pokemon that are often considered terrible and then spiffing them up for online play. It feels awesome when people get their butts kicked by something like a Mawile or a Swalot, but then the hard part is when people ask me, "That team looks terrible, how do you play with that team?" my answer is often just, "It's a secret." or "It's cause I'm the best."

I would absolutely love to show off my secrets, but I don't want everybody and their grandmother going out and taking my strategies. Cause I know that if I give away my info eventually one day I'm going to get into a random match with somebody who is going to beat my face in with my team and my strategy and that would just break my heart.

Sap Sipper

Terrified of Bad Luck.
Years
I do worry about that, and it has happened to me a couple of times (the main one being someone who was supposed to be tutoring me was taking my sets, saying they're no good, giving me trash sets, then claiming the taken sets as his own), but I'm not too bothered. I've never been that good at making teams, so I happily accept the help - people's suggestions teach me which Pokémon are good for which job, etc, and give me more experience for making my next team.

It's not like anybody would copy a team of mine, though - they are pretty awful.

Nashton

A Trainer Of Great Skill.
Years
i see what you are saying but i feel that but post and getting rated but other battlers allows me to see how other people would counter it or what they think can improve the team. but i see what you are saying and now you are making want to delete my posts hahaha.

and thinking of it now, everyone has a different battle style. so someone with a defensive mind looking at a offensive team will see the team totally different than the offensive player. so you might get weird responses for advice.

cloud0114

Cloud
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2011
i agree i wouldn't feel like stating the secrets of a team iv built. for me though its more like, if i say lets battle and you know exactly what team i have, its easy to just pick a team that could easily beat it. know your enemy and all that lol

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
I had a team once called It's a Trap, and after I posted it on PBC I battled it at least 10 times per day on the PBC ladder. It's just something that you have to accept before posting it. If I have a team I don't want people to easily copy + paste, I just don't post it until I've had all my fun with it (meaning my NU team I'll be posting soon). Usually, though, I don't mind it, because as long as you have experience with the team, you'll likely beat anyone that's trying to use it against you.

Back