• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

OU(i think?) Team

Years
  • Seen May 8, 2011
I am looking for some rating/suggestions/advice on this team. I'm new to the competitive pokemon world so this is mostly based off of reading and opinion. Also, I have a base 4 established and 5 additional option I need to decide upon; if I could get some opinions that would be great.

Accelgor @ Focus Sash
Sticky Hold
4Hp/252 SpA/252 Spe
(+Spe, -Atk)
- Spikes
- U-turn
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast
Ideally this would be a lead to set spikes and U-turn out. The bug buzz/focus blast are obviously there for taunt but more importantly, accelgor's high speed and SpA allow him to be capable enough to be used as a hit and run if necessary.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Iron Barbs
252 Hp/ 4 Def/252 SpD
(+Def/+SpD, -Spe)
- Stealth rock
- Leech seed
- Gyro Ball
- Sunny Day
This is a primarily standard ferrothorn wall. It has additional field set if accelgor gets countered or pushed out. Leech seed is for obvious stall tactics and Gyro Ball for possible taunt counters. The only difference is sunny day, which is another field set for the next guy.

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Flame body
4 Hp/252 SpA/252 Spe
(+SpA, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Flame Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Solar Beam
This is my stat sweeper, an obvious choice with how strong quiver dance is. Furthermore, the coverage of fire, bug and grass allow for pretty consistent sweeps, furthered by the fact that sunny day from ferrothorn drops a single turn solar beam and a buffed flame dance. This leaves a devastating flame dance and grass coverage for many of volcarona's weaknesses (water, ground).

Haxorus @ Choice Scarf*edit*
Mold Breaker
4 Hp/252 Atk/252 Spe
(+Atk, -SpA)
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Dual Chop
- Brick Break
This is another standard build. Haxorus acts as a hit and run in order to try to break down counters to volcarona. Nothing too surprising about this Haxorus.

The next five can be mixed and matched accordingly but for the most part I would like to include 2 of these as my final spots (though other suggestions are always welcome ^^)

Milotic @ Leftovers
Marvel Scale
252 Hp/252 Def/4 SpD
(+SpD/+Def, -Atk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Ice Beam
- Scald
Standard rest talk milotic. Useful for stall coupled with leech seed, poison, burn, or any other turn damage.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Thick fat
252 Hp/4 Def/252 SpD
(+SpD,-SpA)
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Earthquake
-Return
Another standard rest talker. Difference from milotic is one is more mixed wall while snorlax is more SpD. Offensive coverage is also difference, balances between physical versus special makes 2 alternatives useful (assuming I use either).

Togekiss @ leftovers
Serene grace
252 Hp/4 SpA/252 Spe
(+SpA/+Spe, -Atk)
-Morning Sun
-Thunderwave
-Air Slash
-Aura sphere
From what I know, paraflinch combo is awesome. This build works more on stalling (see a trend?) rather than sweeping. Also, works well with sunny day (though roost is always an option).

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Poison heal
252 Hp/252 Def/4 SpD
(+Def, -SpA)
-Toxic
-Taunt
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
Physical wall of awesome. Not sure if toxic orb/poison heal is banned but that's why I ask. Everything else is standard stall with toxic making it hurt.

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
Magnet pull
4 Hp/252 SpA/252 SpD
(+SpD, -Atk)
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden power [fire]
-Flash cannon
-Substitute
Finally, SpD wall of steel killing. Works well against a big counter to this team, Scizor. Also, provides adequate stall through substitute.

Thanks in advance. Any and all suggestions or advice is welcome.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
For one thing, why does Haxorus have Choice Specs? It's not a Special attacker. Choice Band may be what you mean here. :/

Wouldn't Droughtales be the better alternative over Ferrothorn?:
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Solarbeam/Energy Ball
-Will-o-wisp
-Hidden Power (Fighting/Ground)/Hypnosis
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Wide Lens
Ability: Drought

I'd use Gliscor and Magnezone as your final 2 Pokemon on your team; Milotic doesn't perform too well in sun, while Snorlax isn't as good as it used to. I'd also make Gliscor a bit more offensive, but that's just me:
-Earthquake
-Acrobatics
-Fling
-Ice Fang/Stone Edge/Facade/Protect/Taunt
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/184 Def/72 Spe
Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal

Years
  • Seen May 8, 2011
I actually meant choice scarf. They both start with "s" my bad.

I hadn't actually noticed ninetales had drought. The primary reason behind ferrothorn was for SR and leech seed set. But if i run ninetales as a wall would that be possible?

Ninetales @ leftovers
Drought
252 Hp/4 SpD/252 Spe
(+SpD, -Atk)
-flamethrower
-solar beam
-will-o-wisp/toxic
-hypnosis
seems like a good set for setting up for volcarona. by allowing a hypnosis to activate volcarona can swap in on a sunny day activated and quiver dance. Also was wondering whether burn or badly poisoned was more useful.

I was also running gliscor tanky because I was aiming for a stall (sun) team and was hoping that I had enough damage in accelgor, volcarona, and haxorus. Any more suggestions involving alternatives to using sun/keeping it alive are welcome.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Poison heal
252 Hp/252 Def/4 SpD
(+Def, -SpA)
-Toxic
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
Could this work with the loss of stealth rock in Ferrothorn?

More Advice is welcome =D especially in the form of combination and synergy (not just movesets ^^).

Years
  • Seen May 8, 2011
Well in that case I'll just retake taunt for him.
On the matter of SR, should I be trying to make sure I have one on the team or is it negligible. If it's pretty much required could crustle play as a good alternative to accelgor, assuming I run him as my lead. This would give me a double trap as well as additional physical that I now require given magnezone, volcarona, and gliscor.

*edit* Was also wondering why the gliscor's EV's were set that way. Is it to outspeed certain types but maintain a mostly wall position? Does this mean I should immediately have a 31 IV spe in order to agree with this EV count?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2011
Updated team and am still looking for reviews. Thanks. I notice a big problem with heatrans and other fires but I'm not exactly sure how to cover this. If SR can be removed and traded for a gliscor than this could be more effectively covered but that's only if SR isn't neccessary.

Ninetales @ Lum Berry/Mental Herb
Drought
252Hp/4 SpA/252 Spe
(+Spe, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Solarbeam
- Hypnosis
- Toxic
Ninetales is a very effective counter lead against common leads like aerodactyl, metagross, crustle, grass leads like celebi, and other beefy grounds. Drought start with a single turn solar beam melts. Also works with leafeon chlorophyll and volcarona solar beam to cover a big part of both of their weaknesses. Hypnosis allows droughtales to be an effective counter to spike/SR and works well to break down stall.

Leafeon @ Leftovers
Chlorophyll
252 Hp/ 4 Def/252 Spe
(+Spe, -SpA)
- Roar
- Baton Pass
- Work Up
- Leaf Blade
Works as a stater for sweepers, especially since work up can be transferred to either SpA or Atk. Effective for water/ground/electric which acts as a big counter to many parts of this team. Works well to build up against bulky waters like Tentacruel (assuming they don't use poison)/jellicent.

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Flame body
4 Hp/252 SpA/252 Spe
(+SpA, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Flame Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Solar Beam
Bread and butter for this team. Coverage is amazing between grass/bug/fire and can effectively be baton passed SpA. Breaks many dark/steel walls easily, sweeps with one or two quiver dances and counters its biggest weakness in bulky waters with solar beam. Typing also fends it off of an ice weakness, something which haxorus falls subject too.

Haxorus @ Choice Scarf
Mold Breaker
4 Hp/252 Atk/252 Spe
(+Atk, -SpA)
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Dual Chop
- Brick Break
Hit and run meant to break walls that would otherwise stop volcarona. Includes normal walls and bulky waters, both which can be OHKO or 2HKO. Does fall prey to ice, especially mamoswine but this is easily overcome with volcarona who can usually outspeed and OHKO mamoswine.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Sturdy
252 Hp/252 SpD/4 Spe
(+SpD, -SpA)
-Roost
-Stealth Rock
-Whirlwind
-Brave Bird
Works well to break down any and all fighting as well as combo with leafeon roar to bounce targets. Works really well to cover a lot of the weaknesses to ground/ice common amongst the team. Would have preferred a gliscor but SR is too good to pass up to help set up sweepers for quicker drops.

Magnezone @ Light Clay
Magnet pull
252 Hp/96 Def/160 SpD
(+SpD, -Atk)
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Thunderwave
-Volt charge
Combos well with leafeon to set up baton passes. Good for checks and setting up paralyze. Since magnezone is such a common wall breaker it is rare that it will fall subject to taunt bait, so if they swap in a taunt then atleast a single screen can come down before it volt swaps out. Since this is a dualscreener a big weakness is earthquake, but this is widely covered by the rest of the team.

Back