• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What came first: Arceus or Mew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
Years
I think that Arceus was the first pokemon, and the first pokemon that it created was Mew. Soon more and more follow up afterwards.

Years
I believe there are several Mew about, just like in the anime. If that was true however, that would make the ancestor theory flawed. How can one Mew be an ancestor if there are several Mew in the pokemon world.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Well Mew as the species could be an ancestor. I mean, think about it: on Earth we can see animals that evolved from other animals, because they ended up in a different area of the world. So as a species, other Pokemon could have evolved from it in the Darwinian sense.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
Darwin's theory of evolution does not apply to Pokemon. Mew has never shown traits of truly being the ancestor of all Pokemon. We know Arceus created most of the Sinnoh Legends so why would it only create 6 or 7 Pokemon if it is the "Alpha Pokemon" and not the other 600+ Pokemon?

Pieman50

Pokemon Maniac
Years
Arceus is essentially the 'God' of pokemon religion.

Mew was a pokemon found in a tomb by some of the first pokemon explorers.

Now.. seeing as Pokemon came before Humans, much like the dinosaurs, It would be most likely that Arceus came first.

EDIT: Now even though it's unrelated to this thread, there's also been speculation that Giratina may have come first, because he has power over time and dimensions themselves.

Years
Darwin's theory of evolution does not apply to Pokemon. Mew has never shown traits of truly being the ancestor of all Pokemon. We know Arceus created most of the Sinnoh Legends so why would it only create 6 or 7 Pokemon if it is the "Alpha Pokemon" and not the other 600+ Pokemon?

My thoughts exactly. I believe Arceus is more of an ancestor than Mew is as he is IMO the creator.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
First off, I believe that Arceus did, according to the myths, create all Pokémon, and all of those Pokémon are branches of Mew. So, Arceus hatches from chaotic nothingness and creates Mew to spur on all other Pokémon. Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina are merely dimensional managers in our universe and have nothing to do with species creation. I believe that Arceus is the genetic exception to being stored within Mew's genes. And I think that Arceus's egg has no creator or predecessors of any kind, but was instead akin to the big bang.

In short, my theory on it is:
Nothigness → Arceus → Mew → Everything else (aside from Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and the Lake Guardians)

Years
Magikarp, just magikarp...

No, but seriously, I totally agree with AlexTheRose. It's just like most of the religions and mythologies en real life. Take for example the greek mythology, where even before the Titand there where elemental "gods" that spawned the titans, and at the same time all these primordial gods came from the Chaos. The problem is that Arceus, being a pokemon can be captured in a freaking pokeball but hey... it's Pokemon, since does it make sense xD??

Years
  • Seen Jun 3, 2012
I have a theory that might fill the "loopholes".

Since Mew is still a relative mystery and a mirage (so to speak), and Arceus' history is shrouded in myth, then what if:

Arceus is really Mew's true form, or just one of Mew's forms that happens to be the God? What if they are one and the same?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2012
Arceus is the divine deity in the pokeverse....I'd say that since he is supposed to be god,explaining how he came to be is kinda like explaining how our divine Deity came to be (and mind you,it is not even proven that there is something out there that we can call god).Mew I guess should be the first pokemon created.Or he could be the word of God/Arceus (it was the word of God that made the universe bar the humans,according to the Christian theory),and it was Mew who made the other pokemon (this does have a few flaws as a theory but,unless something official is released,it stands).

Years
  • Seen Aug 16, 2012
Silly people,

Mew was the Original Being. Mew gave birth to the Egg of Arceus, and from there... Well,

Arceus did not create the universe on His own. His divine influence was passed on through His children to shape nature.

He took his essence and carved it in half to create Aether and Epoch who created stars and dimensions for His creations to exist in.

Arceus crowned daughter Aether in Pearl and named her Palkia. He then crowned son Epoch in Diamond and named him Dialga. Arceus, now aided by his children, created his final son Giratina from Dark Matter and the Void.

He formed the World with His breath and commanded His son Giratina to cradle it. Giratina would take the burden of His Father's creation and nurture it, for it was His divine order.

Arceus combined the passion of Fire and the corporeal strength of Dragon to create Reshiram, the holy Angel of light whose fire burnt brighter than any star. As light could not exist without darkness, He then combined the raw power of Electricity and the corporeal strength of Dragon to create Zekrom, the holy Angel of dark whose essence is that of life's own spark. They were His soldiers, unto which the order of the Universe as it was known was upheld.

Arceus gazed upon His creations, content to let life bloom forward now that the seed had been planted. And He fell into a deep slumber.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
Neither. Unless you go chronologically by discovery/creation by gamefreak.

Mew is said to be the ancestor of pokemon. Its a guess, a theory. There has been no evidence indicating any darwinian evolution and besides, Mew looks rather complete and perfect instead of primitive.

Fact: Mew shares DNA with all pokemon.
Theory: It might be an ancestor.

According to legend Arceus is said to have created the universe with thousand arms.
Do you see thousand arms? No. Thats there just to point out how literal this story is meant to be.
It is a myth. Arceus is not a god.
As with the rest of the true legendaries, it is just a powerful and rare pokemon, that lives for ages, and has had people make up local myths about it.
No one outside Sinnoh even knows Arceus, just like Groudon/Kyogre are a myth only famous in Hoenn etc. Why? Because they reside in those places. Ancient people saw their powers and made up creation myths about them, of course always revolving just about their region.. a legend doesn't have to be more than just a story simply because its in a game. In this case, myths are still just myths but the inspiration is an actual magnificent creature.

Fact: Arceus can create a DimensionTrio egg with the help of hundreds of Unown.
Myth: It hatched out of an egg and created the universe with its thousand arms.

Even in the biggest act we witnessed, it merely created a pokemon in a more spiritual way (fittingly as it is a legendary), which is what pokemon can do through normal reproduction anyway, and even for that it needed the mysterious Unown...

So in the end,
neither are factual origin stories, one being a wild assumption, the other being just another local creation myth.
Both pokemon are as exceptional as any other legendary, but not extremely above that either.

The only truth of course is the third explanation. All pokemon were created by game-developers in the image of the real world creatures.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
As silly as all of this hypothesising is, I'll just co-sign the general 'Arceus came first and made Mew, which then evolved into every other Pokemon' theory. Though I don't really think The Pokemon Company nor Game Freak had much backstory planned for this when unveiling either Arceus or Mew.

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2012
Mew was the risen from Arceus because he is the creator of all pokemon =) Then Mew gave birth to everyone else

Years
I think Arceus came first, and created Mew. However, I do also believe that Arceus created Dialga, Palkia, Giratina and a few other legendaries simultaneously with Mew, not that they originates from Mew. To be honest I don't think Nintendo themself know the answer. ^^'
Also, a bit off-topic but anyway, in Johto in the legend about the Brass Tower (Burned Tower) it says that Ho-oh granted new life to three Pokémons that perished in the fire, does it means he created the legendary beasts, or just gave them new life?

Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2013
Well if we're looking at Arceus as a 'god' then maybe It created Mew, sort of as its 'Adam and Eve' type of thing, thus it then 'gives birth' to every other Pokémon.
Or more likely the Prehistoric Pokémon (now Fossil Pokémon), which in turn evolved into all the rest of them.

Years
Reasons

I would have to say Arceus, on the basis that Arceus is the trio master of Dialga and Palkia, which control time and space, respectively. Mew may be the ancestor of all common Pokemon, such as Zubat or Zigzagoon. However, Arceus, as well as Dialga and Palkia, are special, with Giratina even residing in an alternate dimension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back