• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly...

Nakala Pri

So many Pokemon, so many horrible designs... which ones knock your socks off and what makes you wanna throw up in 'em? xD

Yeah yeah, delete it or what'evs, I dun mind. :P

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
Wailord. There is a picture of a triple battle with 6 wailords and you can't even see the screen.....it says: "Where is your god now?!"

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 13, 2014
Voltorb, Magnemite and Grimer as the standard horrible designs.
Trubbish, Foongus, Stunfisk and Maractus.

And surprisingly this generation only showed me one design that I wasn't really fond of: Bunnelby.

But this generation introduced less Pokémons anyways, so yeah.

Last edited:

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers said:
It's such a very fine line, but this sounds like something we could move to Pokemon Voting Polls, since it's not specifically about gaming. :3

geddur movin'

Bestintheworld

Capo de tutti capo
Years
Most gen 5 pokemon.. Enough said? Besides that I hate the designs of chestnaught frogadoir klefki hepotile and the goomy line ( I know a lot of you like it but I find it very bland and boring)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 9, 2014
Most gen 5 pokemon.. Enough said? Besides that I hate the designs of chestnaught frogadoir klefki hepotile and the goomy line ( I know a lot of you like it but I find it very bland and boring)

>Finds Goomy bland
>says nothing about Noivern

Stunfisk had a poor design, and it's only reinforced in Gen 6 where you can't see the thing at all.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm not really a huge fan of Feebas' design, to be honest. It's got deep, dark spots surrounding both of its eyes, making it look a little bad. It has tons of holes on its body, which, to me, are quite scary. Also, its mouth is too big for its body size. If it was smaller, then it definitely would have looked better. It's kind of ironic how a small and disfigured Pokémon like this evolves into such a beautiful-looking Milotic, isn't it? xD"

Another Pokémon that I don't like is Weezing. Koffing is quite an ugly duckling (in my opinion, anyway), and this Pokémon's got two of those stuck onto the same body. In an instant, Weezing can produce a ton of poisonous gas. And if you ever got anywhere near them, you may end up causing a lot of health damage to yourself. d:

Nakala Pri

I'm not really a huge fan of Feebas' design, to be honest. It's got deep, dark spots surrounding both of its eyes, making it look a little bad. It has tons of holes on its body, which, to me, are quite scary. Also, its mouth is too big for its body size. If it was smaller, then it definitely would have looked better. It's kind of ironic how a small and disfigured Pokémon like this evolves into such a beautiful-looking Milotic, isn't it? xD"

Another Pokémon that I don't like is Weezing. Koffing is quite an ugly duckling (in my opinion, anyway), and this Pokémon's got two of those stuck onto the same body. In an instant, Weezing can produce a ton of poisonous gas. And if you ever got anywhere near them, you may end up causing a lot of health damage to yourself. d:

I agree with everything except that Weezing/Koffing thing. :O No one mocks my little Toxic Puffball without getting a scolding! xD Just kidding, but the first gen had no faults in any designs, they are all perfect! ^^

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Some Pokémon look a bit awkward and that may be attributed towards their anatomy. These include Relicanth (too thin), Gulpin (too loose) and Serperior (lacks appropriate limbs). I feel Pokémon like those could do better with their appropriate problems solved. I'm not too picky about the specific parts of specific Pokémon much (and there's another thread which discusses that) so it's always the anatomy that bothers me.

Auxiliatrix

Wailord bothers me a bit. I guess it's a bit fun with a pokémon larger than Steelix/Onix, but it's just too large to be of any use outside of an ocean. The games don't take that reality into account, thankfully xD

Years
It's obvious that Pokemon designs got a little more intricate as the generations went on, so I can give a pass to Pokemon like Ditto, Voltorb, Gastly and Grimer as being overly simplistic compared to newer ones. There should be no excuses for newer Pokemon though, which is why I really don't like Roggenrola. It looks like it was created by a kindergartner who just started learning about shapes, drew something, showed it to their parents, and it was turned into a Pokemon.

Heck, as a guy with little to no artistic talent, I drew this picture of one in 45 seconds or so, and with some shading, it'd look no different than the actual thing.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Wailord bothers me a bit. I guess it's a bit fun with a pokémon larger than Steelix/Onix, but it's just too large to be of any use outside of an ocean. The games don't take that reality into account, thankfully xD

Trivial fact, but in Pokémon Rangers - Shadows of Almia we automatically record Wailord's data in the Browser (sort of a Pokédex for rangers) after saving his totally cute child and the Browser states that Wailord is too large to be captured. What a relief, I don't think I could've looped over it given the size of the DS XD

It's obvious that Pokemon designs got a little more intricate as the generations went on, so I can give a pass to Pokemon like Ditto, Voltorb, Gastly and Grimer as being overly simplistic compared to newer ones. There should be no excuses for newer Pokemon though, which is why I really don't like Roggenrola. It looks like it was created by a kindergartner who just started learning about shapes, drew something, showed it to their parents, and it was turned into a Pokemon.

Heck, as a guy with little to no artistic talent, I drew this picture of one in 45 seconds or so, and with some shading, it'd look no different than the actual thing.

Ah yes, this is also true. It could have done better as a four legged creature resembling Boldore IMO. Thankfully they get creative with Roggenrola's evolutions with the stalactite concept as limbs.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I'm not a fan of inanimate object-Pokemon (that aren't Ghost-types), they just confuse the heck out of me.

I mean, fine, Pumpkaboo is a possessed pumpkin. That's still weird, but at least it kind of attempts to explain things.

But what's going on with Klefki or Voltorb? I get that the keys aren't really a part of Klefki, it's just "holding on to them", but it's still literally a keychain Pokemon.

Years
Garbodor mostly, for being a literal pile of trash and ruining the adorable Trubbish for me. Aside from that, most 1st Gen Pokemon. They didn't really have much diversity in looks compared to later generations, and there wasn't so many "cute" Pokemon then. I don't find Stunfisk ugly though, especially after seeing Cilan's Stunfisk in the anime.

Sandshrew4

Also known as Sandwich
Years
The reason I believe the first generation lacked creativity is because they were just beginning, so they just tweaked various animals and made them pokemon. Then of course there's Grimer and Gastly and all them, but whatever. Then as the series progressed they began to think more outside the box as they had to keep coming up with more ideas.

Anyway, the Pokemon I dislike are simply because of their appearances. Purugly, Gothitelle, Garbordor, Jynx, Chandelure (never liked the whole chandelier thing to begin with, much less the stalkerish aspect), and Bibarel.

One pokemon a design that I really like is Scizors. Not exactly sure why though.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
Years
  • Age 35
  • US
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
689.png

Those eyeball hands...

I also hate Jynx with a passion. It's literally just some ugly woman thing. Smoochum is so cute in comparison, I dunno why they had to make that link.

124.gif

like why even

Nakala Pri

Those eyeball hands...

I also hate Jynx with a passion. It's literally just some ugly woman thing. Smoochum is so cute in comparison, I dunno why they had to make that link.

124.gif

like why even

I agree with the first bit, but the second however, is... heart breaking. xD

She reminds me of a big, chubby, happy wife who likes to dance and would cook delicious food. xD

Back