• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Red/Blue - Gen. II Graphics And Music Patch V2.0 [FINAL VERSION RELEASED]

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Danny-E 33 made this version as a rom base for others to use. The most likely reason that title screen graphics isn't edited is not because it would have been difficult but the fact that would make it harder to use this patch with other red hacks, especially if those involved some kind of editing to the title screen already.

Other than that, I have said it him already but this is a nice hack already on its own.
Right, you can use Tile Layer Pro to edit "Red Version" easily, and the tile map for that is located at 0x45A1.

And thanks again, miksy. (:

this boss my friend nice work!

im playing it right now and i want to know how do you insert devamped sprites to pokemon red?
Thanks alot! I used Tile Molester to turn PNGs of the sprites into Gamboy format, and then I used stag019's Generation I Graphics Compressor to make them into RBY format.
This looks pretty good :3 I'm a bigger fan of the older Pokemon games, so this definitely appeals to me
Awesome! I'm glad you like it!

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
wow this hack is amazing.... brings back memories of playing pokemon gold

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
Thank you! I'm glad you love it! (:

Your welcome.... but can you edit the music in pokemon red and make it sound a bit more modern...... im pretty sure that would make the game even more nostalgic and enjoyable :D

Pinta77

Does this include the gen 2 pokemon or is it purely a graphics update?

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Your welcome.... but can you edit the music in pokemon red and make it sound a bit more modern...... im pretty sure that would make the game even more nostalgic and enjoyable :D
Shhhhhhhhh! Don't give away my suprises! ;)
Does this include the gen 2 pokemon or is it purely a graphics update?
It's just a graphics update. But an intense one, at least. :P

Zameric

The One and Only
Years
Apparently I'm not applying this patch the right way. I followed the instructions I found here, which seemed to work for my Liquid Crystal patch file. But I'm not seeing any the changes that this patch is supposed to apply.

Zameric

The One and Only
Years
The patch still isn't working, even after I applied it with the Lunar IPS tool. Might it be VBA that's the problem? I'm using VBA 1.8.0-beta3.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
I don't know, that's very odd.
So do you go through the patching process and appears to have gone fine, but you run the game, and it looks just like Red?
Maybe try right clicking the ROM file and clicking Properties and under Attributes, see if Read-only is checked. If it is, uncheck it.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
Patch did work with Blue.
But it looks much better when the overworld graphics have been edited back to what they looked like in the original Japanese Red/Green versions, as that is the graphics used by Gold/Silver in Kanto.

Not something that is terribly hard to do (can be done in 5 minutes max), but since I noticed your patch lacked that, I thought, why not make these changes to your patch?
I went and did it on my own, so I hope you don't mind if I upload this patch here.

(And if you want, you can even continue off from there, if there is any other feature you would want to add later. Credits go to Chaos Rush as he is the one who did this first.)

Zameric

The One and Only
Years
Danny-E 33 said:
I don't know, that's very odd.
So do you go through the patching process and appears to have gone fine, but you run the game, and it looks just like Red?
Maybe try right clicking the ROM file and clicking Properties and under Attributes, see if Read-only is checked. If it is, uncheck it.
Yes, that's pretty much what is happening.
I looked, and "Read-only" in unchecked. :/

Edit: I just tried to apply Pingouin7's patch, and that's not working for me either. :/

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
But it looks much better when the overworld graphics have been edited back to what they looked like in the original Japanese Red/Green versions, as that is the graphics used by Gold/Silver in Kanto.

Not something that is terribly hard to do (can be done in 5 minutes max), but since I noticed your patch lacked that, I thought, why not make these changes to your patch?
I went and did it on my own, so I hope you don't mind if I upload this patch here.

(And if you want, you can even continue off from there, if there is any other feature you would want to add later. Credits go to Chaos Rush as he is the one who did this first.)
Yes, actually this is already done on the latest version of the ROM but I don't want a million different versions floating around so I like to let updates collect a little bit before I realese new versions. I'm actually gonna reupload it tomorrow probably with quite a bit new things.

And I actually thought to do it because Chaos Rush suggested it to me on Skeetendo.
Yes, that's pretty much what is happening.
I looked, and "Read-only" in unchecked. :/

Edit: I just tried to apply Pingouin7's patch, and that's not working for me either. :/
Hmm. I'll PM you in a few minutes.

Last edited:

Ammako

Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
Yes, actually this is already done on the latest version of the ROM but I don't want a million different versions floating around so I like to let updates collect a little bit before I realese new versions. I'm actually gonna reupload it tomorrow probably with quite a bit new things.

And I actually thought to do it because Chaos Rush suggested it to me on Skeetendo.

That's actually a good idea.
Hopefully you can think of more stuff to add that would make Red closer to what Kanto is in Gen II (Apart from stuff like everything being watered down, etc.)

I wonder if it would be possible to add an Exp. bar in?
It would also be pretty epic if you could colorize the entire game, much like what Koolboyman is/was doing with Red, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

(Also, I just realised I forgot something. I forgot to change the flowers on the ground. Hopefully you don't forget to do that too :P
I was using the graphics straight from the Japanese Green rom, but I forgot where exactly I was supposed to edit the flowers so they remained untouched. Oh, and Gamefreak decided that, for some reason, they wanted to use new flowers for Kanto overworld instead of re-using those from Japanese Red/Green.)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I would be careful though.

If my theory is correct, because of how games are assembled, everything after the title screen graphics would have different offsets between Red and Blue, due to the sizes of the "Red Version" and "Blue Version" graphics being different. Everything before the title screen offsets should be the same, because the data is more or less identical.

This is all just my theory however, I didn't actually check.

HackChu

I need a haircut...
Years

If my theory is correct, because of how games are assembled, everything after the title screen graphics would have different offsets between Red and Blue, due to the sizes of the "Red Version" and "Blue Version" graphics being different. Everything before the title screen offsets should be the same, because the data is more or less identical.

Thanks for bumping this to the top of the line.

I think this is cool, I was remaking Blue on the SIlver rom with the improvements in that game but map connections were a big pain, too much math. Nice to see this though, it's like a remake in spirit.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years

We have got things called rom banks in GB/C. The processor can handle only "data packets" length of 0x4000 bytes at the time so you may be right about that specific rom bank having it's data being one byte ahead from the point where "Red" and "Blue" are stored but it shouldn't affect the other rom banks at all.

Besides, I may be wrong here but I've seen discussion about the title screen graphics in R/B before and I believe both "Red" and "Blue" are stored in both versions, the other one isn't just looked for at all.

But I agree with the fact that it may not be a good idea to use this patch along with Pokemon Blue. I mean, it works for Red so what's the purpose?
If one wanted to use this hack along with some other rom hack of Pokemon Blue, it might be a better idea to patch that over this hack to a Pokemon Red rom instead.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
That's actually a good idea.
Hopefully you can think of more stuff to add that would make Red closer to what Kanto is in Gen II (Apart from stuff like everything being watered down, etc.)

I wonder if it would be possible to add an Exp. bar in?
It would also be pretty epic if you could colorize the entire game, much like what Koolboyman is/was doing with Red, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
I don't know, both of these ideas are pretty far stretches, but I may look more into them in the future.

Oh, and Gamefreak decided that, for some reason, they wanted to use new flowers for Kanto overworld instead of re-using those from Japanese Red/Green.
Here you mean GSC vs RG, right? Yeah, I'm going with the GSC flowers since this a gen II graphics patch.

Very interesting. For pretty much the entirety of bank 1A, the data is shifted two tiles down in Red compared to Blue. Luckily I didn't modify any data in bank 1A from 0x68000-0x6BFFF so that won't cause an issue. I should double check to see if there are any other places where the data is shifted and would cause problems.
Thanks for bumping this to the top of the line.

I think this is cool, I was remaking Blue on the SIlver rom with the improvements in that game but map connections were a big pain, too much math. Nice to see this though, it's like a remake in spirit.
Haha, thanks, I'm glad you like it!
Besides, I may be wrong here but I've seen discussion about the title screen graphics in R/B before and I believe both "Red" and "Blue" are stored in both versions, the other one isn't just looked for at all.
Close. In Blue, the tiles read "BlueVerison" while in Red it says "RedGreenVersion" except Green is never read and a space is added in between in both games.

Last edited:

Ammako

Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018

There WAS a small problem I noticed.
After patching it, the words "Blue Version" on the titlescreen would show up in red instead of showing up in blue when in SGB mode.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
That's strange. I don't even know why that would happen.
I don't know why the ips patch would contain the information for that palette, I never edited it.

Back