• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

$120 white shirt by Kanye West... sells out.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
msn now said:
$120 plain white T-shirt designed by Kanye West sells out

Poet Thomas Tusser famously said, "A fool and his money are soon parted." But it took a $120 plain white T-shirt designed by Kanye West (with French design house A.P.C.) to prove just how many fools exist. Priced at roughly a gazillion times the cost of a regular white T-shirt, this Egyptian cotton "Hip Hop T-Shirt" bears no visible difference from a dollar-store tee. Other than the words "A.P.C. Kanye" silkscreened on the inner neckline, of course — letting only the wearer know how willing he is to throw money down the toilet. But despite the exorbitant price and simplistic design, the Kanye T-shirt sold out upon its debut, along with $265 jeans and $280 hoodies.

This isn't even The Onion.

While you can feel free to post the standard "my god, some people are so stupid with money", I feel this raises some rather interesting discussion points. Will we pay more for something if we're told that it was made by a certain person or brand? Are we all guilty of that or is it just some people? Why does this phenomenon happen?

Rant / discuss / whatever!

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Not surprising. Numerous shoes with an athlete's name slapped on the side have already shown that this works.

Even if I had money to burn, I wouldn't buy the shirt. But I don't begrudge those who did. If that's what they want to do, okay. If someone makes money from it, also good.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
First of all, that's ridiculous!

I feel that we are all guilty of something like this. It may not be this severe, but we're willing to pay more for something if it has the reputation (headphones by Dr. Dre anyone?). If it were the right scenario, I would have done something similar, no doubt.

Years
If people want to be morons and spend this stupid amount of money on something pointless, then let them do it.

Kanye West knows a good majority of his fans will by his merchandise, regardless of what it is, because he knows they are just sheep.​

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I mean, its their money that they earned. They can spend it on whatever they want.

Hypocrates

shampain
Years
I mean, its their money that they earned. They can spend it on whatever they want.

I concur, but unless they earn/have a lot of money to spare, it's a reckless transaction to be honest. Actually, regardless of their earnings it is still a lot to spend on a plain white t-shirt.

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
People will spend money on their pleasure, and shouldn't be judged for it. If someone finds the idea of owning stuff designed by Kanye pleasurable, then let them. Besides, it might turn out to be a good investment if it's valuable down the line, so it's all good.

I'm not generally one for exorbitant spending myself, but I've been tempted by a $50 piece of cardboard before!

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
Years
I spent $350 on my headphones, and they're my favorite thing of anything I own XD

So I can kind of see why they would spend that much. But then again... It's only a shirt. Quality > anything though. Oh, and the name on the merchendise helps wit the price a lot.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Stupidity%2BTest.jpg

I suppose the price could be justifyable if the shirt was made of silk, but cotton?

Years
I think a lot of us are more susceptible to this than we think. It's just a matter of finding that thing we each like a lot. We'll justify it, but in the end we've probably all spent more money on something when we had a cheaper option open to us.

I mean, to me, this is no different than someone getting the new iPhone when they already have one. Or someone spending $5 for a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Or [insert whatever it is here].

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Same crap as anything, really. GAP, Calvin Klein, etc. If you try it on and it looks and feels good and it's your own money to burn then why the heck not?

If to them, it's worth it, let them buy it. For me, it's not.. so simple as that.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Yeah, it's their money and they spent it how they wanted, but that doesn't stop them from being morons. It's not like the money went towards charity. Honestly, I think this says a lot about how Kanye views his fanbase and how he doesn't care about exploiting stupidity. If I was a fan of his I would be really disappointed, but I don't like jerks like him anyhow.

For that price, a plain white t better ask me what it's like in NYC and tell me how pretty I am.

Last edited:
Years
It's fine to spend money on luxury items if you have earned the money for it and your other essential finances have been secured, including costs of childcare, rent/morgage, car payments, food, ect.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I think there's nothing wrong with buying an item at that high a price if it's something you truly desire (ie a piece of clothing by your idol), but I think it was entirely wrong for him to price the items so high. He's doing nothing other than exploit his fans for all they're worth which I find to be a disgusting act - though if they're willing to pay the money for it, perhaps they'll view it as more special that way? I don't think it was right to sell the items for such a high price, but if it's giving the fans what they want (which it obviously is at that high a price), and it's making them feel good to spend that much on these things, then so be it. Kudos to Kanye for having the business acumen (not that he probably had anything to do with the marketing), though I think it's a hint at how selfish, greedy and thoughtless some people can be.

Years
As much as I despise Kanye as an "artist" and a human being, you have to give him credit. He's a genius. Create a fan base comprised entirely of morons and sell them regular things they can get anywhere else for 6000% profit.

I could even go so far as to say he puts on the douche bag act to attract the idiots, and it's worked pretty damn well.

No offence intended to any Kanye fans who did not buy his crappy merchandise.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
As Triforce said, this has already been tested and proven. People are morons. Really. Now, noting that some brands actually do have more quality than others, to buy a white t-shirt made from similar materials as one you can buy for 5$ at Walmart just because it says "Kanye" on the back or w/e is absolutely ridiculous.

But whatever floats your boat.

I won't be taken in by it though lol I like my George wear.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I think this is part of our human nature, which happens to be bragging rights rewards, where you bought a regular item that's more expensive than it usually costs in other places. Just look at JC Penny's poor sales from what I've heard; they made it too easy for people to buy their clothes by not making them more expensive.

Back