• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: "L'art pour l'art" - DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartolomeo

Youtube = Crap
Years
Apart from the sites mentioned by derozio, zerochan is another good place to look for fanarts.

Anyway, no real topic being discussed here, right? I'll ask a question then. Who, in your opinion, are one of the better graphic/traditional/digital artists of this forum? I've looked around and the ones which stood out to me are abnegation's gfx (and digital art), Loki & Pokestick as well as Alexial's digital art. There are some pretty sprites in alexial's gallery as well. Haven't ventured much in PA.

Also, do you need to be inspired to do good work? Any specific person/site which serves as a constant source of inspiration?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Apart from the sites mentioned by derozio, zerochan is another good place to look for fanarts.

Anyway, no real topic being discussed here, right? I'll ask a question then. Who, in your opinion, are one of the better graphic/traditional/digital artists of this forum? I've looked around and the ones which stood out to me are abnegation's gfx (and digital art), Loki & Pokestick as well as Alexial's digital art. There are some pretty sprites in alexial's gallery as well. Haven't ventured much in PA.

Also, do you need to be inspired to do good work? Any specific person/site which serves as a constant source of inspiration?

That is an excellent question and observation. :) And thank you!

I think you pretty much nailed it, Loki and Pokestick are definitely some of our strongest artists. Although, I personally wouldn't count myself among them. Not because I'm insecure in my own talents, mind you, but because they have this innate, inherent ability to create. It's not so much their individual skills I admire (which I still do, of course), but their techniques and styles. Also, they've had so much time to hone their digital/traditional skills and really develop them, so I definitely consider them not just my favorite artists in A&D, but artist's whom I personally look up to.

That being said, I believe every artist here deserves special mention. I think we all have strengths in different areas. The Pokedex project is a good example of this, as it pretty much displays our individual artistic weaknesses and how we compensate for them by working as a team to create a final, amazing product.

As for your second question, while I can't speak for anyone else, I find that some of my best pieces come from when I just doodle. Seldom do I sit down with a thought and complete it (unless doing a request, of course). But basically all of my completed works are just glorified sketches, so "inspiration" more or less only effects whether or not I pick up the pencil, not what I draw with it, if that makes sense. If I had to choose an artist here who's inspired me? Well, Abnegation and Derozio for sure.. not because we practice similar mediums because, well, we don't; but because they've pushed me to be a better artist on my own. Sites on the other hand? I'll get back to you on that. :p

Bartolomeo

Youtube = Crap
Years
The art pokédex, of course. It definitely is shaping up to be quite a huge project. Gone through it a few times and I'd like to commend all the artists who've worked hard on it. There certainly is no lack of creativity in this forum when it comes to designing fakemons.

And, well, you're pretty damn good too. I just feel that your stronger pieces tend to be those that are based on western art while Pokey's and Loki's are more anime/east oriented. Your styles differ quite a bit; they're quite distinct. And that's definitely a good thing! The fact that you people have developed styles that are sorely your own and are instantly recognizable is a really good feat. One of the hardest things an artist has to deal with when he jumps into art is that he has to learn to carve an identity - he has to work hard to develop his own style. You all, in my opinion, have crossed that hurdle. I personally struggled for years to do it. Guess I still am doing it, haha.

And surely not. I wonder if there actually are artists that do it - "sit down with a thought and complete something", I mean. I personally haven't seen any as of yet. Inspiration or lack of it decides whether I open up PS or not. You might think I'm confusing "inspiration" with "motivation" but it's like...I feel motivated when I'm inspired. They both go with each other in my case.

Props to them for motivating you, btw. :p And you never got back to me. Makes Bart a sad puppy. I'll answer my own question, I suppose - I generally look over stuff from deviantart and tumblr. There are plenty of artists and their art that catches my attention and I go "wow, I must work hard to get better. JUST LOOK AT THEIR STUFF!". I don't really have any page bookmarked right now, though. I sort of...remember their name if they stick out to me. Take awasai's works (stumbled upon him on a One Piece site), for example:

Spoiler:

He makes clay models. Former is the model of the Donquixote Doflamingo from One Piece while the latter is a collection of various protagonists from Indie games. Meatboy (from Super Meat Boy) and Tim (from Braid) are two instantly recognizable characters to those who are into Video Gaming. I don't make clay models, naah, but I certainly do feel like trying to learn how to do it when I look at them, haha. I should have posted some graphic artist or digital artist's works, I know, but his name is what came to mind first. Even though our mediums are NOTHING alike, haha. Inspiration can be derived from anywhere, right?

Sorry for the tl;dr, btw.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
Damn you Bartolomeo for killing the thread with your tl;dr. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Bumping this because I feel the need to state something - I just read a manga called Vagabond. Nevermind the incredibly mature story...the art. Man, is the guy talented. This is, no doubt, the most aesthetically appealing manga I've ever read. Most people probably wouldn't care to read it or whatever but at least google vagabond and check out the artwork, you guys. ;D

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Ah, I just checked it out.
Spoiler:

Seems pretty neat! I don't know if it's something I'd read, but the art style is pretty cool. I love the way the artist does female faces. I'll post a good example when I find one that's not gigantic. xD Definitely worth searching though.

Benjamin85

Banned
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2013
i think try to introduce some unique idea about contest because every second forum doing this same type of contests.I think add some number game that every below person gives points to each other.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Forum games belong in the Forum Game section though. A&D is for showcasing art! And we do hold plenty of contests. :) Snowdrop's signature contest and icontest respectively. Along with a bunch of other traditional / gfx related contests when I'm not so lazy

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I can't get myself to make new signatures. I spend so much time looking for new resources (don't really want to recycle things in a sig) that I'm tired out by the time I open photoshop... So, how do you stay creative, Alexial? XD

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
Years
I can't get myself to make new signatures. I spend so much time looking for new resources (don't really want to recycle things in a sig) that I'm tired out by the time I open photoshop... So, how do you stay creative, Alexial? XD

I honestly thought I was the only one with this problem.
#notforeveralone

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Waaat who said I'm able to stay creative? I get tired by just thinking about drawing too much. xDD

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
Years
I guess we all have creative blocks xD they're pretty hard to get off of for me, sometimes I'll go weeks or months without being able to do something good on Photoshop or on paper. I have to look at something that's really inspiring enough for me to start thinking creatively again. Because of that, I have a folder in my desktop filled with amazing and inspiring works by other artists that I look at when I get stuck. It just helps me when I feel down and it makes me think "this is why I'm doing this, to get like that some day."

so anyways, yeah. How do you guys get off of creative blocks, if you've ever had any?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Aw, Zero, I always think your works are inspiring. <3

I was actually just talking to TwilightBlade about this. I once went on a 5 year long block from art. I just couldn't create art for a multitude of reasons. Five years of my life, metaphysically wasted. Nowadays, I'll sometimes go back and improve old drawings if I'm really stuck. Even if the drawing itself isn't all that inspired, I feel better knowing that I can improve upon something from the past. Just to remind myself that, yes, in fact, I have gotten better since then and it's not all for nothing lol.

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
Years
Aww thanks Alexial<3 I think your sprite works are inspiring too, more than that actually they're absolutely beautiful. I don't post on your gallery but I'm a huge fan of yours xD

Five year block? That's a super long block, I think the longest block I've had was 8 months so I can't even compare that yours. I don't really improve old works of mine, but what I do is I use the same render from one of my old works and make something different than from the first time I used that render, just too see if I've improved and to try out different colours and styles.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
That's generally the way to go. I do that too, man. And it really does help one in gauging how much one has improved.

oh and can i just say that i think both your galleries are precious?! I love them.

Years
I've been in a huge art block for at least a year now. Nothing ever comes out how I want and I end up putting the tablet down 10 minutes into drawing. :( Doesn't help that my tablet is sticky and gross from being dropped and left on the floor for a while.. I'm going to try and get a bigger one. If I can do that, I hope to get more into art again!

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
I've been in a huge art block for at least a year now. Nothing ever comes out how I want and I end up putting the tablet down 10 minutes into drawing. :( Doesn't help that my tablet is sticky and gross from being dropped and left on the floor for a while.. I'm going to try and get a bigger one. If I can do that, I hope to get more into art again!

shiny espeon. enough said(:

anyways, i just wait till i'm creative to begin my artwork on photoshop. if i try to make something when i'm not in my creative mood, things turn ugly:P i just look on deviantart to get over my creative blocK:P

Years
shiny espeon. enough said(:

anyways, i just wait till i'm creative to begin my artwork on photoshop. if i try to make something when i'm not in my creative mood, things turn ugly:P i just look on deviantart to get over my creative blocK:P

Shiny Espeon is now on my list of things I should draw! :D

And yeah dA has been a suggestion but.. I don't really find it to help me at all. Most of the time seeing amazing artists makes me feel even worse about my own abilities, urg. Music and anime tend to help, though.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
Shiny Espeon is now on my list of things I should draw! :D

And yeah dA has been a suggestion but.. I don't really find it to help me at all. Most of the time seeing amazing artists makes me feel even worse about my own abilities, urg. Music and anime tend to help, though.

lol sometimes it has the opposite affect:P also, i find looking at like resource websites gives some inspiration because if you see a picture or a pattern you might want to use it or draw it!

Years
Yeah, just sadly it only has that one negative affect on me. Uuugh. Resource websites are amazing though, it encourages me to want to do more graphics! <3

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
Years
dero making me smile <3 your gallery is so awsome too, all of your galleries actually.

and I love getting new resources too, i open up photoshop as soon as I download something new just to make something with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back