• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which starter do you think is the best?

Which starter in Pokemon F\L

• Total voters

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
Vote -> Squirtle
Why? Because, i always pick water type pokemon (my love ^^), have great moveset, blastoise have really good stats etc etc. :)

Am.. yeah Blastoise is a well designed great monster type Pokemon. And well Blastoise isn't too well at Stats however....

Originally Posted by Trainer_Altair :
It would have to be Charmander for me. Despite the fact it has a disadvantage for the first 2 Gyms, it can easily overcome the first one with it's new Metal Claw move.
Once it becomes a Charizard it's a reliable Pokemon in-game. It's secondary typing is very useful, it can be taught Fly.

I never really liked using Bulbasaur, I will use it soon though as I'm planning to play Leafgreen after finishing Sapphire...

Squirtle becomes a tank of Pokemon. It's also very useful with it's Surfing capabilities. It comes as a close second.

Well yeah and I don't think he is bad in first 2 gyms. Maybe I had beat Brock's Geodude in 2 or 3 hits. And well Onix was a hard one. Well hey I also don't like Bulbasaur very much but Bulbasaur isn't bad though. And yeah i useful about water capabilities as you said, It also has disadvantage while beating the league.

Originally posted by Crino :
Squirtle! I'd evolve mine to Wartortle and keep it that way. Not the strongest but my favorite design-wise, plus he can always pick up Ice Beam and Bite along the way.

Yeah Sqirtle is well at design also Blastoise, I also like it from the Design way though it doesn't perform well in League and some gym battle.

Originally posted by pokemasta92 :
Charmander because its final evolve form has the power of flight! No one seems to ever mention this. People that like him always talk about the literal fire power and how fire types are the greatest. Fire is my favorite type, but regardless of what type Charizard is, he has wings! He is the only flying starter Pokémon as of now and that gives him an automatic over all the others (except Pikachu).

Well we have common choices yeah I also Like Charmander for both it's design and its base stat. And yeah his wings look great but after he got evolved to Charizard I didn't found a attractive thing in him. Well after Charmeleon evolves to Charizard it doesn't look good in design for me but it's great however.

Orifiel

Priestess
Years
Charmander and Squirtle are good. (Bulbasaur, yeah.. just.. no)
But just by looking at evolution forms, I would say that Charizard had the best design.
So yeah, I'm going for Charmander. Sorry, Squirtle ^^

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2019
I choose bulbasaur! I don't know why but he has something.
In emerald I used to be jealous on other trainers in Battle Frontier because they had the other starters and they looked way better then mine.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
I'm going to say Bulbasaur (for FR/LG.) Bulbasaur will help you with the first couple gyms, and will be resistant to the third gym. And by the third gym, you should have some other Pokemon to battle with anyway. So it works out well. Bulbasaur also learns Leech Seed which can be a life saver many times in the game when you run out of medicine.

Competitively, I am going to say Blastoise. It learns Rapid Spin, is bulky, and is Water type. Charizard and Venusaur have more weaknesses. I can't judge movesets as I do not recall generation 3 movesets.

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
I'm going to say Bulbasaur (for FR/LG.) Bulbasaur will help you with the first couple gyms, and will be resistant to the third gym. And by the third gym, you should have some other Pokemon to battle with anyway. So it works out well. Bulbasaur also learns Leech Seed which can be a life saver many times in the game when you run out of medicine.

Competitively, I am going to say Blastoise. It learns Rapid Spin, is bulky, and is Water type. Charizard and Venusaur have more weaknesses. I can't judge movesets as I do not recall generation 3 movesets.

Yeah can't forget Bulbasaur

Orignally posted by L96 :
Charmander and Squirtle are good. (Bulbasaur, yeah.. just.. no)
But just by looking at evolution forms, I would say that Charizard had the best design.
So yeah, I'm going for Charmander. Sorry, Squirtle

Am.. yeah Chaizard is great but not too well at design though.

Originally posted by LolMan112 :
I choose bulbasaur! I don't know why but he has something.
In emerald I used to be jealous on other trainers in Battle Frontier because they had the other starters and they looked way better then mine.

Yeah Bulbasaur isn't bad it's amazingly well at design and too cute also but not too useful in League.

So Batty and Lolman112 are Allies huh ? Well Bulbasaur is great no Doubt but it has some weakness.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 9, 2014
Squirtle! I just think its design is awesome. It also does pretty well in game! I can never wait for it to turn into Blastoise!

Years
From my main playthroughs of FireRed I would always use either Bulbasaur or Charmander, just because it wasn't too hard to pick up a Water type Pokemon later down the road, whereas there were a few less options for the other ones (depending on your version).

Of the three though, my favorite has to be Squirtle. I like its design and would put it on par with Charizard's, but having access to Bite and a bunch of the Ice type moves always was a bonus for me, even if it doesn't have the best stats of the 3.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Squirtle is my favorite, based on looks. It's cute, small, and chubby; what's not to like? xD Plus, when it finally evolves into Blastoise, it grows two, huge cannons on its back, which is quite awesome! These cannons are made out of metal entirely, so they're quite hard to break. Blastoise can take this pair of cannons in and out of its shell as it pleases—pretty efficient!

In terms of competitive battling, though, my favorite would have to be Charmander. Charizard, Charmandar's final evolutionary form, has got a decent Speed stat—allowing it to outrun a handful of Pokémon and strike the first hit. Not only that, but it's also got an above-average Special Attack. Charizard has a variety of special-based moves in its arsenal, such as Air Slash, Fire Blast, Flamethrower, and Hidden Power. Thanks to its major SP Att stat, it can take quite an advantage of them.

Yoshi119

Abbeon
Years
I don't know which one is the best, they are all special in their own way, but my favourite is Charmander, since at the time I was first getting into Pokémon, I was obsessed with dragons so I loved Charizard straight away.

Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2015
My absol-lute favourite starter would have to be squirtle. I will always have a sport in my heart for the blue turtle and it's evolutions.

RimasLT

My beautiful - Mazda 323F <333
Years
Bulbasaur - 1. My first pokemon ever in games. 2.Adorable design. 3. Powerful partner. 4. Do not like Charmander ( never liked him ( biggest enemy for my Venusaur ) 5. Squirtle I just do not like this turtle either.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 25, 2014
Bulbasaur, because it evolves into Venusaur!

When I was younger I would have said Charmander hands down. But now that I'm older I realize looks aren't everything (except when concerning newer gen pokemon) I don't think there's any other grass pokemon that can much up to venusaur. At least not in Gen 1, while for fire and water you have ninetails and gyarados

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
I love Bulbasaur. It's really cute. And it's final evo Venusaur is really awesome. One of the strongest grass starters imo.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 28, 2014
Although I always choose Charmander, it's because he's the most useful to me.

They're all my favourites, by far the best starters created!

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
Well too much review from peoples. Charmander and Bulbasaur got too much comments as of now.

Squirtle is my favorite, based on looks. It's cute, small, and chubby; what's not to like? xD Plus, when it finally evolves into Blastoise, it grows two, huge cannons on its back, which is quite awesome! These cannons are made out of metal entirely, so they're quite hard to break. Blastoise can take this pair of cannons in and out of its shell as it pleases—pretty efficient!

In terms of competitive battling, though, my favorite would have to be Charmander. Charizard, Charmandar's final evolutionary form, has got a decent Speed stat—allowing it to outrun a handful of Pokémon and strike the first hit. Not only that, but it's also got an above-average Special Attack. Charizard has a variety of special-based moves in its arsenal, such as Air Slash, Fire Blast, Flamethrower, and Hidden Power. Thanks to its major SP Att stat, it can take quite an advantage of them.

Well Squirtle is Pokemon with cuteness. And it looks great when in becomes Blastiose.

From my main playthroughs of FireRed I would always use either Bulbasaur or Charmander, just because it wasn't too hard to pick up a Water type Pokemon later down the road, whereas there were a few less options for the other ones (depending on your version).

Of the three though, my favorite has to be Squirtle. I like its design and would put it on par with Charizard's, but having access to Bite and a bunch of the Ice type moves always was a bonus for me, even if it doesn't have the best stats of the 3.

Yeah many people choose Charizard and Bulbasaur. Well Squirtle can beat other in cuteness maybe. well all are cute though.

Bulbasaur, because it evolves into Venusaur!

When I was younger I would have said Charmander hands down. But now that I'm older I realize looks aren't everything (except when concerning newer gen pokemon) I don't think there's any other grass pokemon that can much up to venusaur. At least not in Gen 1, while for fire and water you have ninetails and gyarados

Well Venusaur & Blastoise has really great design as 3rd evolved form.

I don't know which one is the best, they are all special in their own way, but my favourite is Charmander, since at the time I was first getting into Pokémon, I was obsessed with dragons so I loved Charizard straight away.

Yeah Charizard is a great strong & Enough Powerful to be handy in League but, I really don't like the design of Charizard much.

Although I always choose Charmander, it's because he's the most useful to me.

They're all my favourites, by far the best starters created!

amhm...

Don't ask, It's charmander
Because it evolves to Charizard. (I know charmeleon first lol)

Yeah, strong and powerful.

Years
To me, these 3 starters are the best of any starters in the game in terms of how much i like them :P It's hard to pick a favourite but i;d probably say Squirtle as Blastoise is my favourite pokemon and i love water types, however it's a tough choice :)

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
To me, these 3 starters are the best of any starters in the game in terms of how much i like them :P It's hard to pick a favourite but i;d probably say Squirtle as Blastoise is my favourite pokemon and i love water types, however it's a tough choice :)

Yeah you are right its a hard choice. Though there isn't any best. all are same actually. all are great.

Back