• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Is The community's PO server wack at the moment? When I connect, I get,
"Connected to Server"
Then nothing. That's the only thing on the chat box. No welcome message, rules, or people.

Thx in advance
You should get message saying you disconnected if it's down. Assuming you have updated your PO to v.2, it means you can't access the server because it hasn't been updated yet.

Are any guides allowed in CBC?
Of course they are! I'll put links to them in the Resource Thread if it's important or useful enough.

Skillah

Pokemon Fan since 2001.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 17, 2022
Well, if Mudkip has Curse, give him 252HP/40Def/216Speed. If you also want to consider the moveset... Here's one I got on the smogon forums. Curse+Resttalk Curse/Waterfall/Rest/SleepTalk.

Ferrothorn is a little tricky. I would make sure he has 0 Speed IVs so a Gyro Ball would work. I would have his EVs at 252HP/88Def/168Sp.Def. He should run the moveset of: GyroBall/PowerWhip/ThunderWave/LeechSeed

I don't know about Larvitar though. Maybe 252 Atk/192Speed/64Def?

Thanks for your input! That part about the 0 speed iv's for a Gyro ball was brilliant. But he won't be able to dish out that much damage. So i guess he'd be a tank ^_^

And with swampert, would this work?

Moveset Ev's: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Speed
~ Waterfall / Aqua Tail
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Punch / Stone Edge
~ Superpower

And I think those Ev's with Larvitar would be pretty good. Maybe a little boost to hp or defence by halfing speed or something ;D

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Thanks for your input! That part about the 0 speed iv's for a Gyro ball was brilliant. But he won't be able to dish out that much damage. So i guess he'd be a tank ^_^

And with swampert, would this work?

Moveset Ev's: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Speed
~ Waterfall / Aqua Tail
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Punch / Stone Edge
~ Superpower

And I think those Ev's with Larvitar would be pretty good. Maybe a little boost to hp or defence by halfing speed or something ;D
To clear up any misreadings, Tyranitar's EV spread should be 252 HP/64 SAtk/192 SDef. (SuperTreaz probably mixed up the abbreviations). You can also use 56 Atk/252 SAtk/200 Spe with a Hasty nature for a more offensive approach, but that comprises Tyranitar's bulk a bit.

And the above EV spread looks okay to me.

Skillah

Pokemon Fan since 2001.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 17, 2022
To clear up any misreadings, Tyranitar's EV spread should be 252 HP/64 SAtk/192 SDef. (SuperTreaz probably mixed up the abbreviations). You can also use 56 Atk/252 SAtk/200 Spe with a Hasty nature for a more offensive approach, but that comprises Tyranitar's bulk a bit.

And the above EV spread looks okay to me.

Okay. What about a FerrowThorn?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Okay. What about a FerrowThorn?

Oh, whoops. Should've said that too, but anyway: The standard Ferrothorn's EV spread should be 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef with a Relaxed nature for more balanced defenses. The EVs and nature can also be tweaked so Ferrothorn can be more physically or specially defensive.

Skillah

Pokemon Fan since 2001.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 17, 2022
Oh, whoops. Should've said that too, but anyway: The standard Ferrothorn's EV spread should be 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef with a Relaxed nature for more balanced defenses. The EVs and nature can also be tweaked so Ferrothorn can be more physically or specially defensive.

Thanks ^_^
Do you have a suggested moveset/strategy for him? I've never used him before, I've heard he's amazing.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Thanks ^_^
Do you have a suggested moveset/strategy for him? I've never used him before, I've heard he's amazing.

Ferrothorn is mainly played as a support Pokemon who sets up entry hazards and Leech Seed. It also serves as an excellent check to Water Pokemon thanks to its Grass/Steel typing. The standard Ferrothorn set uses:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
-Power Whip/Protect
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell

Since B2/W2 is coming soon, you can also use all 3 of Stealth Rock, Spikes and Leech Seed, plus an attacking move, but that leaves you as near-complete set-up bait.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Stall Team Leads?

What are some good leads for my OU stall team? So far I'm in the building stage with a Subprotect Gliscor and Ferrocent core

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
What are some good leads for my OU stall team? So far I'm in the building stage with a Subprotect Gliscor and Ferrocent core

Leads don't really exist anymore... :( Anyway, I guess something that can lay down hazards. From the Pokemon so far, I guess Ferrothorn would be a good lead for you. Or since you're using Ferrothorn/Jellicent you could try running Politoed and use that as your 'lead'?

Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2012
Can you help my Gengar?!

Ok so i have a Lv.70 Timid (speed+, att-) Alert to Sounds Gengar Ev trained with 252 speed 252 sp attack 4 HP, according to 3 different IV calculators it has 31 IV in speed 24 in SP.A and 19 in HP. I use a life orb on him.

now for the problem, i've battled 2 people now on WIFI at lv. 50 cap whom also lead with a Gengar, assuming mine is faster i substituted hoping for a miss but both times i was outsped and one shotted by their shadow ball, now assuming the fact that i was outsped ment that they were using choice scarf i switch in my milotic to take care of him.... to which i eat a thunderbolt which obviously means they're not choiced, i also one shotted they're gengar back to which they responded to by holding on with focus sash, which eliminated the possibility of a quick claw or something of that nature.

So my question is how is this possible for this to happen twice when by all accounts my Gengar couldnt be any faster bar choice scarf? the only thing that i can think of is since shes not level 100 all of her EV havent been "activated" however i cant find any information as to if you need to level to 100 for all 252 EVs to be active at lv 50. cap, id think that type of thing would be all over the place warning people that they need to hit level 100 for their EV training to be fully effective in 50 cap battles if that were true, so im at a loss.

Help me out

Last edited:

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
You might not have EV Trained it properly, put in the wrong EV's into the IV Calculator and it calculated it wrong. But Alert to Sounds is the only characteristic that will give an IV of 31... Use pokecheck to check your IV's and EV's. Other than that they might be max speed as well, meaning you have a 50/50 chance of striking first. I guess you've been unlucky if that's the case. Hope this helped.

Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2012
Yea i never considered that i screwed up the EVs, just went and berried all stats except speed and sp att, all couldnt go any lower on first berry except hp which couldnt go any lower on second berry, guess i am just unlucky :( thanks.

Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2012
Searching for opponents..

Hello,

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or.. When I go to the first floor of the pkmn center and look for a random match (free mode), it keeps telling me 'Searching for your opponent..'. I've waited for 15/20 minutes and still haven't found an opponent.
Maybe it's looking for opponents with similar stats? I haven't won any match and have lost 7 times, so maybe it can't find someone with such bad stats haha.

Are there other ways to battle against random people online?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
There are other ways to battle random people online, but they aren't available on the Ds. You have to download either Pokemon Online or go to Pokemonshowdown, both are battle simulators which let you create your own team and battle others. n_n

SuperTreaz

The Elder of Dunsparce
Years
It doesn't look for opponents with similar stats, as I've faced people with more than 300 wins, with my measly number. However, if you would like to battle check out the "Quick Battles" thread.

rescuecp

Redhead :P
Years
I need help beating these two snots!

These two skypers won't stop bragging about how they always beat me, and they hurt my feelings, etc. every time! :( Here are the battle logs! What am I doing wrong?

BATTLE LOGS:

LOG 1
Spoiler:

Log 2:
Spoiler:

Log 3:
Spoiler:

Log 4:
Spoiler:

Log 5:

Spoiler:

Please help! I am desperate to beat them!

Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2012
First of all, you shouldn't pay attention to braggers. They may have beaten you, but nobody likes a bragger. Second, although they may be useful at times, status attacks aren't worth keeping. My team only know attack-attacks, and I beat pretty much anything. Teach all your Pokemon non-status moves, and you're well on your way to beating these braggers. Third, level your Pokemon up a bunch of times and you'll have a good upper hand. Fourth, looks like you've battled them enough times to know their main team. With that information, you can form a powerful team with type advantages. And lastly, if your so called friends keep bragging, just say something witty, like 'You win, you lose, it doesn't really matter'

Good luck ;)

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
If you wanna put all attacking moves, prepare to get walled...alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back