• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Graphics.

3D Graphics good or Bad?

• Good

Votes: 103 88.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Dosen't Matter

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Well, yeah, of course I'm going to miss the pixels, but hey - you know what they say, change is good! It is going to be somewhat of a challenge adapting to this whole new feel of gameplay, but I'm sure everyone will come to love it eventually!

This. I think after 10+ years it's time for a change, and it will be weird adjusting from pixel art to 3D, but I think what Game Freak will do with it will make it worthwhile and make a better gaming experience!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
The protagonists look a bit funny while running around though, at least from the back anyway...

Yeaaah the protagonist sprites are one thing that's going to take a while to get used to. While I'm okay with different sprites for everything else, it'll be strange to get used to 3D protagonists. ;x

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Yeaaah the protagonist sprites are one thing that's going to take a while to get used to. While I'm okay with different sprites for everything else, it'll be strange to get used to 3D protagonists. ;x

I think if anything the perspective of the game is going to take getting used to, as it appears not to be a top-down perspective in the same sense it has been all these years. Just exploring the region is going to feel off for awhile before we can actually adjust to it, and even longer I'd imagine if you're using the 3D effects of the game.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Oh ya, exploring will be hard too. Imagine dark caves. They probably won't even be dark at all compared to what we know. :(

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Oh ya, exploring will be hard too. Imagine dark caves. They probably won't even be dark at all compared to what we know. :(

More than likely, since having that sphere of light around you was much easier to do with a sprite. Hopefully they can come up with something creative for exploring dark caves (if they even have them really, since Flash got demoted to TM status, and was barely used in B/W).

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
They can still have the caves pitch black according to pokemon standards, but, yes, it'd be pretty tough to imagine how these new sets of graphics will perform compared to the graphics that we are used too. I mean, people have been worried that these graphics will one of the reasons that playing these games will be hard, because they're simply not d to this whole new perspective. Plus, you know, I think that it'd be tough to figure out where you're supposed to go at first. Like here:

images

At first, I thought that you could walk around freely, but, then, maybe there is something blocking the player from reaching the flowers?

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
They can still have the caves pitch black according to pokemon standards, but, yes, it'd be pretty tough to imagine how these new sets of graphics will perform compared to the graphics that we are used too. I mean, people have been worried that these graphics will one of the reasons that playing these games will be hard, because they're simply not d to this whole new perspective. Plus, you know, I think that it'd be tough to figure out where you're supposed to go at first. Like here:

images

At first, I thought that you could walk around freely, but, then, maybe there is something blocking the player from reaching the flowers?
The camera angle would change for specific places, i don't think it would be hard to figure out where to go.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I don't think flowers would really act as a barrier either, as they're pretty easy to walk through. I do agree that the camera angle is probably dynamic instead of just sitting in the static overhead position that we're used to, which will definitely allow for better views of the maps that they create.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
It's barely going to take anything to get me used to the new 3D style in a main game, but that's mainly because I've been expecting the change ever since I got a 3DS. Good riddance sprites. I think battling would be the thing that takes most adjusting to, imo, because of how much bigger of a change that is in the main games. The more constant camera angling, actual scenery, etc. Speaking of scenery, I wonder what it will be when facing someone on WiFi. I hope there's an audience, haha.

Flash can easily work well still because they can make the caves dark, yet light enough so that you can can get almost a bare minimum focus. Think how at ~ 5AMish(?) you get up in the dark and you can just about make out the shadow-y outline of items to have a rough idea of placements but usually it's only helpful enough to guide you to a light source(your light switch).

It would sort of take out the absolute necessity of Flash(if for some reason you don't have it or don't want to teach it to a current part member) and allow you to get through the cave if you are careful and can observe well but, at the same time, Flash would be nearly mandatory if you want to explore the whole cave and collect all items, etc. Maybe they could make it darker on the lower floors to further make it necessary to use? I don't know...Even with it as just a TM it seems like a hassle to teach it.

Btw, if you want to have an idea of what I'm talking about, refer to Rock Tunnel in Red/Blue without Flash. You can get through if you're crazy enough because something is there to somewhat guide you in the minimum light(in this case the walls) but you'd be wasting a heck of a lot of time trying to collect items, etc. without light, thus making it highly recommended to use in that sense.

Last edited:

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I'm just hoping the camera is dynamic in that sense, both automatic and player controlled. If I'm browsing a town I'd love to be able to change the camera by myself, or even switch to a first-person view. I'd also like the camera to move on its own as we're travelling though, so we're not stuck with the same view point where it gets awkward when we traverse through things like turns or areas with a lot of trees or something.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
The camera for all intents and purposes should be fixed to the L/R buttons, swinging around you in 4 directions. Take for example the flower bit, press L two times for it be behind you, and now the flowers are in front of you then on the side. That or have it dynamically 360. Use the D-Pad to adjust height, and you're golden. Alternitavely, Circle Pad Pro support, just to allow the second stick for camera control.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
I'm just hoping the camera is dynamic in that sense, both automatic and player controlled. If I'm browsing a town I'd love to be able to change the camera by myself, or even switch to a first-person view. I'd also like the camera to move on its own as we're travelling though, so we're not stuck with the same view point where it gets awkward when we traverse through things like turns or areas with a lot of trees or something.

I don't know, first-person view when we can only walk in four directions? Would feel really awkward, especially when you walk in front of a trainer; You'd be looking at something ahead, forgetting about the trainer sitting in the corner of your eye, only for your view to be forced 90 degrees to face them.

The camera for all intents and purposes should be fixed to the L/R buttons, swinging around you in 4 directions. Take for example the flower bit, press L two times for it be behind you, and now the flowers are in front of you then on the side. That or have it dynamically 360. Use the D-Pad to adjust height, and you're golden. Alternitavely, Circle Pad Pro support, just to allow the second stick for camera control.

That I would love.

Aethestode

Hacker
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
No more Sprites

I saw the trailer, and it seems like the battle now uses models now. I don't mind, but I really miss the sprites.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I'm actually really glad they've transitioned from sprites to models, because I'm still not a huge fan of the pixels from the sprites we see during the battles in the Fifth Gen games. It'll be nice to have battles looking sharp and clean once again.

Also, since this relates the the graphics in X/Y, I've merged your thread here.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Loads of new high quality images showcasing the new graphics and this is just a few of them! Not sure I like how the new HP bar though or how they placed it.

may_p5_18.jpg
may_p5_17.jpg

may_p5_4.jpg
may_supp_p3_4.jpg

may_supp_p3_5.jpg
may_supp_p3_7.jpg

Last edited:

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I'm honestly in love with the new graphics. From the first trailer we got up to now, the graphics look like they've taken a gianst leap in quality. I'm so pleased with how the models are turning out, plus I like the status screen for Chespin too (Also level 5 Vine Whip, niceeeeeeeeeee). I'm actually pretty fond of the new HP bar, making it more minimalistic and out of the way than before.

Guy

just a guy
Years
may_p6_2.jpg

I'm loving the detail in the background. It makes battles feel more dynamic.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
The new move animations definitely look awesome.That fire looks awesome, and it did with Fennekin using Fire Spin during the trailer as well. The leap over to the 3DS provided Pokémon to grow a lot and make all the different graphical factors the game has move from sprites to actually full-fledged animations. I know I'm starting to parrot myself, but the leap over to the new handheld was the best move they've made this whole generation.

Back