• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Plot Bunny Thread

Is Fire Emblem: Conjoinst Souls something that you'd be interested in reading?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2020
Part of it's because I haven't played XD and had no idea it existed, but my excuse for that is that while the legend of Celebi in Agate Forest lives on forever, no one really knows how the purification chamber works after the creators die. Then again, maybe I could make it that the base of Cipher was the former Pokemon HQ Lab. I was actually planning to set the story in Johto or maybe Kanto, as I don't know Orre very very well, but I'm not sure.

I think the researcher knows its sort of shady dealing, and although he suspects Team Cipher, his suspicions are assuaged by everyone celebrating that Cipher is gone for good and that the agents are dressed more like the Rockets common to the region of Kanto/Johto. He figures that Rocket, disbanded, doesn't really have too many scientists to truly figure out what his research means and exploit it, as they aren't involved in Shadow Pokemon like Cipher is. I don't think anyone else knows, although they do notice that his notes go missing which he blames on that he left that at home because he didn't need them that particular day or something. And that, I think, will be a secret, because my idea for it isn't completely fleshed out.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Part of it's because I haven't played XD and had no idea it existed, but my excuse for that is that while the legend of Celebi in Agate Forest lives on forever, no one really knows how the purification chamber works after the creators die.
That's unlikely imo, as there was a whole team involved in creating the chamber, and with such work probably a lot of documentation as well.

But this could be solved if it was set in another region. (Which could make sense for Cipher - trying somewhere else rather than the region they failed in twice now). Transferring them all at once could be problematic, so they could try to keep at least some where they are while sorting through this newer Cipher base.

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2020
Hmm. I think I am going to set it in Johto, then. Maybe I'll make it an unusually cold wintertime where stuff freezes over to make it harder to get to Orre which is probably going to become a plot point. Where I'm going to put the base is a different story, but eh. Maybe Olivine, 'cause it's like a port city with easy escape or something. The idea I had for putting it in Johto is that the shrine in Ilex Forest could have the same effect as the Relic Stone in Agate Forest.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Well, as long as they can put the Pokémon in Pokeballs (and they probably already have them to be controlled by Cipher), one can say they'd just transfer them via the PC system.

The shrine makes sense as a substitute.

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2020
The PCs might not be linked together, considering how far apart they are, and it might take a bit for them to get hooked up. I mean, it took a while for Bill and Celio, both experts, to connect Sevii and Kanto, and they're close enough to be a boat ride. Bill and Celio are good friends as well, so theoretically the PC systems should be similar and thus easier to connect. To connect Hoenn and Kanto, you had get these random stones that conveniently happened to be located in the islands. Who knows how long it could take to connect Orre and Johto, and what you would need? Assuming the sky was clear and it looked safe, a several hour plane ride might just be easier.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
The PCs might not be linked together, considering how far apart they are, and it might take a bit for them to get hooked up. I mean, it took a while for Bill and Celio, both experts, to connect Sevii and Kanto, and they're close enough to be a boat ride. Bill and Celio are good friends as well, so theoretically the PC systems should be similar and thus easier to connect. To connect Hoenn and Kanto, you had get these random stones that conveniently happened to be located in the islands. Who knows how long it could take to connect Orre and Johto, and what you would need? Assuming the sky was clear and it looked safe, a several hour plane ride might just be easier.
Hmm, on the flip side it was possible in-game to connect GBA games to Orre, with both Colo and XD, so I'd argue that already shows it is possible to transfer Pokemon. I doubt that in a 'real world' sense anyone ever actually needed a few specific gems to improve information transfer systems or whatnot, but then Sevii Islands always seemed tacked on anyway to me, and more a 'hey have a sidequest to unlock this feature' thing. Although I get where you are coming from there, I'd have to say that given connections have been possible, it's not that much of an issue itself. But there can be other ways to explain it (in-universe) as to why they wouldn't send (all of the) Shadow Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 30, 2014
Need help with a Pokémon fan-fiction.

I'm in the middle of writing a Pokémon fan-fiction, and there are a few things I'm not sure about. My story follows the plot of the HeartGold/SoulSilver. But instead of using Ethan or Kris as the protagonist I was considering using Leaf (but Ethan and Lyra would still be in it). It's a journey fic and she decides to participate in the Silver Conference. I'm planning on Prof. Oak giving her her starter. Would that be alright or should I use a character based on Kris (kind of like Lyra is).

I'm also considering using the Japanese names for the humans, but only in Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh (since they're all based on Japanese regions). But at the same time I want to use dub names since that's what I'm accustomed to.

I wanted to possibly include the villainous teams using firearms. I was thinking that quite a few grunts do, but the higher ups tend to use strong Pokémon. But there would still be grunts that use Pokémon as well, just not all of them.

What do you guys think?

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I went ahead and moved this over to the plot bunny thread since you're asking to help flesh out your idea in a way.

Not to sound harsh, but a lot of this stuff doesn't matter and I think you're making too big of a deal about it. I mean, the names? You could use either one and the story would be completely fine and really, it's up to you. However, I would go with consistency, so if you're going to use one set of names, then that would be the names used for all characters.

How do you plan to incorporate the guns into the fic? I'm not really seeing how they would go, so some explanation on how you would be using them would be great.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
Years
So, I am making a sci-fi story which is original. I have made some copies of it in the past and they turned out to be rubbish and I was forced to rewrite em. Well here's a prologue of it and I want some suggestions on how to expand this... I have the plot planned out, characters and all, the problem is how to execute em... :3

Spoiler:

I still haven't made any headway into the story but I wanted to know what you guys think from the story so that I can change it xD

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 30, 2014
I'm sorry Slayr231, I didn't know there was already a thread I should have posted in. I just joined the site last night. Thank-you for correcting me.

You don't sound harsh at all. With the names I was thinking the characters would have names similar to the countries their regions are based on. However if I should choose one or the other and not mix them, I'll do that. I was thinking of using guns for people who aren't trainers. Some would have them for hunting, self-defence, etcetera. So I was considering the possibility that not all of Team Rocket are trainers; but then again I could be wrong, an it makes sense that they all would be. And I can see how owning a gun may seem pointless in a world where you can own a fire dragon or super powered rodents. But I was going on the basis that not everyone is a trainer, and while the guns aren't effective against heavy hitting foes they are still good for weaker Pokémon. I am wanting to blend some reality in with it; but if the guns really are pointless, then I'll drop the idea.

Something else I'm considering is how age, education, and Pokémon training work together. I was thinking that compulsory eduction ends in eighth grade, and then around fifteen someone is allowed to become a trainer. When they're certified (there is a fee to do so) they can procure a starter in different ways. They can go ahead and just catch a wild Pokémon, or they can go with one that was already domesticated. The domesticated Pokémon can be ordered and picked up at a Pokémon Center. I was considering that everyone sends their requests to a Pokémon Professor if they want a traditional starter, and they place the order to have them delivered to the nearest Center. The traditional starters will either have have a fee or be free; if they want a different starter then either they contact a breeder and have it sent out or a Professor (not sure how to go about it yet), and there is a larger fee.

I haven't decided how Pokédexes will be handled. In the games I know only a few trainers receive them, and I was thinking they can be purchased around the same time someone becomes a certified trainer, but they kind of cost an arm and a leg. In the games it's just given to trainers with great potential; is my idea okay or should I stick with the original games?

My reason for being under about using Leaf in a HeartGold/SoulSilver story is that I'm afraid of the Mary Sue label and I'm afraid that people may think I'm making the character special by having her be from another region. Even if I go with Kris, Leaf may still appear. I am trying to think of what each main character's role in the story will be (Leaf/Kris, Ethan and Silver).

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
@SleepingWarden
SleepingWarden said:
With the names I was thinking the characters would have names similar to the countries their regions are based on.
Actually, that's not a bad idea at all. in fact, I quite like it.

I can see how owning a gun may seem pointless in a world where you can own a fire dragon or super powered rodents.
I can understand wanting to have something for people that aren't trainers, but you have to be careful with how you go about this. In other words, you have to have a plan, which is why I asked if you have one. By the sounds of it, you don't right now, which is completely fine. That's the reason this thread is here, after all. My main concern is that bullets will be able to rip into just about any pokemon that isn't a steel or rock type. Giving them to Team Rocket members might be a little problematic because then what would out hero do when confronted with one? Throw out Charizard? I doubt Charizard will be able to take that AK-47 attack (bonus points if you get the reference).

I'm just having reservations about it because what's stopping the bad guys from using the guns the second things go wrong?

Something else I'm considering is how age, education, and Pokémon training work together. I was thinking that compulsory eduction ends in eighth grade, and then around fifteen someone is allowed to become a trainer. When they're certified (there is a fee to do so) they can procure a starter in different ways. They can go ahead and just catch a wild Pokémon, or they can go with one that was already domesticated. The domesticated Pokémon can be ordered and picked up at a Pokémon Center. I was considering that everyone sends their requests to a Pokémon Professor if they want a traditional starter, and they place the order to have them delivered to the nearest Center. The traditional starters will either have have a fee or be free; if they want a different starter then either they contact a breeder and have it sent out or a Professor (not sure how to go about it yet), and there is a larger fee.
Actually, I'm liking how you set this up. You can go catch your own pokemon for free, get one of the typical starters for a fee, or request a specific pokemon for a larger fee. I think that makes a lot of sense and shipping out the pokemon to the pokemon centers would fix the issue of not being close to the professor. As far as becoming a trainer, I think there should be a process rather than a simple fee. It would help educate the people on what they're going to encounter and stuff like that so we don't have a bunch of deaths from stupid kids wandering into Beedrill territory. Just a thought.

I haven't decided how Pokédexes will be handled. In the games I know only a few trainers receive them, and I was thinking they can be purchased around the same time someone becomes a certified trainer, but they kind of cost an arm and a leg. In the games it's just given to trainers with great potential; is my idea okay or should I stick with the original games?
Well, from the anime we can see that any trainer that gets their pokemon from the professor gets a pokedex (and there are plenty of trainers without a formal starter with a pokedex too), so I don't think it's that special. Maybe have it as a sort of "diploma" for getting their trainer's license? Once a hopeful trainer passes all of their tests, they get a pokedex, which can double as their degree. Just a thought.

My reason for being under about using Leaf in a HeartGold/SoulSilver story is that I'm afraid of the Mary Sue label and I'm afraid that people may think I'm making the character special by having her be from another region. Even if I go with Kris, Leaf may still appear. I am trying to think of what each main character's role in the story will be (Leaf/Kris, Ethan and Silver).
I must admit, I'm not familiar with all of the character names for the games, so I don't really know what you're talking about here. One thing I do know is that people throw out the Mary/Gary Sue label all the time without it actually applying. People are eager to throw it out, but it's up to you if it really applies. If you have a trainer that without any prior experience, befriends an injured legendary, heals the injured pokemon with the skills of a doctor, then the legendary decided to travel with the trainer, and everyone lives happily ever after, you're probably looking at Sue. If you have a trainer that comes from another region and does really well (with some struggles along the way), it's probably not a Sue. Be very wary about that critique if you do get it.

One thing I have to mention about OT fics is that you have to differentiate from the games. If I wanted to hear the game's plot line again, I would play through the game. It might seem easier to rewrite the games, or even more appealing as it's a story everyone can relate to, but I have one word for those stories: boring.

@Queen of Shipping

If you're looking to get feedback on the prologue specifically, I would post this in the Share Your Writing thread. If you're looking at new ways to expand your plot, then I'm here to help and you should read on!

I would like to know more about this mythical "UltraNet". I'm not understanding the crime of fraud. What's exactly happening?

As far as the story itself goes, I can't really give much critique because what you have presented is what leads into the story. If you want help expanding your ideas, you're going to have to give me some of the core principles and ideas that your world is built upon. I'm afraid the prologue isn't enough to go off of.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 30, 2014
@Slayr231

About the names: The games have implied a language barrier before so I kind of want to play with the idea. I was also considering having bits where a character writes in kanji or katakana, or they speak in French at times (French would insinuate that they're from Kalos). So Ash would become Satoshi, and Cilan and Iris could retain their dub names since they were born and raised in Unova. But I would be careful this since I am by no means a linguist, and I'd be open for correction by people more familiar with the language. And I would definitely avoid honorifics because I'm not familiar with their exact usage. Some stuff I've picked up in manga and subbed anime, but not enough that I would consider using them. I have reconsidered which canon I'll follow more. I'm leaning towards having the story follow the anime, but my protagonist wouldn't travel with Ash constantly. She would have periods where she accompanies his group, and other times they would just have short encounters. I'm planning to combine the anime and the games; Jessie and James would probably retain their "butt-monkey villain" status, but Team Rocket as a whole would take a more antagonistic role. Even James and Jessie would get an upgrade to explain how they stay employed, though. But due to Mewtwo and his usage in the anime, I'd change Team Rocket being disbanded at the end of the Kanto arc and maybe have it took place near the end of Johto (it depends on where I decide to go with this). I'm still working it out. And there would be an age bump with certain characters to accommodate the rules I want to apply to age and training (so Ash/Satoshi and Gary/Shigeru would be fourteen instead of ten, and Brock/Takeshi would be seventeen). To be honest I'm going to be combining several different canons in this story (Viridian Powers will exist, not just the Aura and telekinesis), and for some of the canon characters I'm planning to use information given in a novel based on the anime (Delia/Hanako runs the local restaurant) and fill in the blanks where there is nothing (mention that Gary/Shigeru's parents are deceased; I haven't decided what I'll do with his sister or if like in the anime she won't exist).

Guns: You do have a point. Guns may just complicate the situation since the protagonists in my story are kids and not trained commandos. I'd imagine that certain Pokemon could survive an AK-47 (unfortunately no I didn't get the reference :(), but definitely not all. I guess I could allow the Rockets (not all, but some) to retain the whips they're portrayed using in the original games. And I think in Origins there was one with a taser or something. But the guns will be dropped.

On starters and becoming a trainer: Maybe the trainer should have to take a class and pass an exam? Kind of like Driver's Education. Or maybe the class is optional, but they must pass some kind of exam to show a basic understanding of what their being licensed for. Though there would still be a bunch of idiot kids running around, still at least the League would be making an honest effort to educate beginners. And that way some basic mistakes like "catching someone else's Pokemon" would be less likely since I'm sure that would be covered in a class (or should that be common sense? I'd think so, but Origins made me wonder). I'll go with the anime idea that the Pokedex is a common commodity for trainers, and even a sign of their status, but I'm wondering how I.D.'s would work. In the anime the trainer card is digital, but in the games its implied that there is an actual card. Should I go with both? The trainer has a card and its uploaded digitally in their Pokedex? I'm also wondering how I would go about Ash/Satoshi and his little starter dilemma. With my idea, not having the starter you want would only be hindered by finances, but he wanted a Squirtle and the original three starters in all regions are pretty affordable. But I do want him to have his classic Pikachu, and the anime and games seem to have a "first come, first serve" policy. Is there a way I can combine them?

Another thing I am considering doing is mixing Pokemon and regions. I'm thinking of how there are evolutions introduced in future games, but are not present in, say, Kanto because the form didn't exist yet. So I was thinking for second generation Pokemon like Pichu and Cleffa, who's evolutions Pikachu and Clefairy are common in Kanto, that those two would become common sightings there as well. And Espeon and Umbreon would be more common due to how Eevee evolves into them, but Glaceon and Leafeon would still be more commonly seen in Sinnoh because of the Moss and Ice Rocks being native to that region, and not Kanto. I'm also considering that there would be wild Munchlax in Kanto because of Snorlax, and so and so forth. But I wouldn't go wild and stick, say, Fennekin in the wild in Kanto; only Pokemon that have a connection to Pokemon in that region. So more Weavile, Mismagius, and Honchkrow in Johto. I want the generations feel more connected. I may make a throwback or reference to Mega evolutions, but those come from Kalos so they would definitely be a rarity.

Mew

The New Species Pokémon
Years
OK, so what if:

A (person who turned into, if that doesn't make me seem cliché) Serperior and Samurott (or Mew and something else?) had to save the world from a secret Pokémon/plan?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
That sounds exactly like the Mystery Dungeon games. A human is turned into a Pokemon, joins up with another Pokemon, and they go off together to save the world.

It's nothing different in this fandom. The basic idea has been seen by people who play the various Pokemon games. It's also been seen in fanfiction many times before. Not only are there hundreds of fics based on Mystery Dungeon, but there's thousands of fics where people are turned into Pokemon and go on some grand adventure.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about people looking at you oddly for thinking of this idea. The Pokemon fandom wouldn't even bat an eye at your fic's concept.

Mew

The New Species Pokémon
Years
That sounds exactly like the Mystery Dungeon games. A human is turned into a Pokemon, joins up with another Pokemon, and they go off together to save the world.

It's nothing different in this fandom. The basic idea has been seen by people who play the various Pokemon games. It's also been seen in fanfiction many times before. Not only are there hundreds of fics based on Mystery Dungeon, but there's thousands of fics where people are turned into Pokemon and go on some grand adventure.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about people looking at you oddly for thinking of this idea. The Pokemon fandom wouldn't even bat an eye at your fic's concept.
He'll, I thought the post was so embarrassing tha I mentioned them I edited it. Nice idea for the PMD thing, and glad to see someone likes the idea.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I've had an idea for years, which actually grew from a dream I once had. If you put it bluntly, it's about teenagers, weird forces, aliens and an evil organisation. But boy, it sounds so silly when you lay it out like that. I've had the general gist of the plot and all characters developed and planned for years, like I said, but never quite been able to solidify these plans into good enough writing. Don't bother giving feedback on the alien or force thingys, haha, because those won't change.

What I'm struggling with now is the setting. I've always imagined the events to take place between students in a school. All the main characters (they are MANY, actually, and I daresay not stereotypical) would be students or at least teenagers and they get to know each other through twists and intrigues and dark history.

But I've lately been wondering if the thing would be a lot more enjoyable if I had the characters be random people living in the same city instead. Some grown up, some teenagers. I'd have to rethink how they'd all know each other, but it could turn out more mysterious and give a bigger sense of fate and stuff, unless I write it too cheesily. Teenagers at a school seems so done and not really interesting. Of course the existence school has a backstory and purpose relating to the main plot and all that jizz, but still.

What do you think, can a decent story which is not an anime really be written these days revolving around a lot of teenagers (mostly) at the same school? Or would it be better to make them seemingly more random? They could all still be teenagers or somewhere near there, I suppose. Especially since I have quite a bit of romance and friendship triangles planned out since forever :x The school thing worked for Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. But I'm not claiming to be in their league, haha.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Red's Hawt Chialksjdb Pelfkajblrjfra said:
If you put it bluntly, it's about teenagers, weird forces, aliens and an evil organisation.
10/10, would review again.

To be honest, everything has been done to death already. There's countless stories about teenagers in a school, yes, but there's also countless stories about strangers bonding together over a weird circumstance. Writing now isn't about creating something new, it's about creating something that's been done to death, but make it seem as new as possible.

It may be crappy advice, but just go with whatever you want to do. If you want to base the story around the teenagers in a school, go for it. If you think that it's been done to death already and that thought won't stop bugging you, go for the strangers in the city.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Hnnng. I might end up making two versions O.o

I might prefer "strangers in the city" but (gosh, that is totally an established term) the characters are so well defined already so it would take quite a lot of work to reinvent them somewhat. But then again, good stories don't come from little work, do they?~

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Nope!

It seems like you like the strangers in the city idea, so if you're willing to put in the effort to the characters, it's probably going to be more enjoyable to write.

Years
  • Seen Oct 6, 2017
I'd like to take this opportunity to go to the subject of Pokémon GX. You see, it's a fanfiction anime-esque Pokemon series, and it's an adaption to the Pokemon Black & White anime, only that there are a lot of differences.

1) Lucario (WOOT!), May, Manaphy (He and May deserve each other! ^_^), Max, Jirachi (Same for Max and Jirachi), Dawn, Piplup, Shaymin (Shaymin would've made a fine addition to Dawn's team) Brock, Paul (Yes, Paul), Molly Hale, Teddiursa and Entei (a real live one that talks just like the one from the movie) go with Ash, Pikachu, Iris, Axew and Cilan in Unova. In traveling, Molly would ride on Entei. And in an homage to Yu-Gi-Oh!, Sir Aaron would become one with Ash as a Yami form. :proudbow:
2) Max and Molly become Pokémon Trainers for the first time ever! Yay for them! :omgyay:
3) The main girl trainer from Black & White, whom I call Kathie, joins with Ash's team on the journey as well.
4) With Kathie seen at the beginning of the series, Bianca would be seen, too, along with Cheren.
5) While Trip would beat Ash in his first battle easily, he will also find a rival in Paul, who's a lot more powerful than him.
6) Team Plasma would be seen more frequently than in the anime, their appearances based on the BW games.
7) With the Team Rocket trio going series and high tech, another Team Rocket group would do the rhyming, frequent stealing, bungling and blasting off; a new division of Team Rocket as Team Rocket Galactic with six members; Bruce, Wayne, Jodi, Dom, Anna Nicole and Michael.
The division is made to both honor and disgrace the disbanded Team Galactic at the same time. Of course, just like the TR trio, TR Galactic is neutral.
8) N would not only interact with Kathie about Pokémon at times, but he would also interact with the rest of her friends in the group.
9) After first hearing of what Team Plasma claimed about what humans do to Pokemon, he would be unsure about releasing his Pokemon, but Ash and the gang would convince him not to at all, reminding him of how crazy Team Plasma is.
10) Any Pokemon that were temporarily used by the main gang, gets actually captured and added to their rosters.
11) Meloetta will permanently join Ash and the gang by being another one of Ash's Pokémon.
12) MAJOR SPOILER ALERT! Ash will win the Unova League unlike the Top 8 in the real anime.
13) Unlike the original anime and the B&W2 games that take place differently, Cheren will not be a gym leader. Also, the main boy and girl trainers, who I named Cole and Sarah, will be involved in Pokemon GX with the latter joining Ash's group.
14) Ash and the gang will all go together to Kalos, unlike Iris, Axew and Cilan going to Johto in the end of the original Black & White series.

Oh, and in the Kalos saga of Pokemon X & Y, there will be MUCH LESS use of Iris calling Ash a little kid. I hate that.

Once arriving in Kalos, Ash and the gang will meet Clemont and Bonnie at first, and then they'll meet Serena, and they'll all journey together. Serena and Bonnie would not only have a special friendship with each other, but they'll do the same with May, Dawn, Kathie, Sarah and Molly.

Also, do you remember the region known as Orre in Pokémon Colosseum? I'm planning on giving it its own gym leaders and badges and other stuff. And best of all, not only are pokémon of ALL regions in there, but a huge number of new ones. Not sure exactly how many I would put there, but I know that it'll be a lot.

Now, here are some pointers to give you about what happens in my Pokemon GX series.

First, N and Trip's introductions will be the same from the anime with a little more character development. Second, Team Rocket Galactic is a bunch of new members hired by Giovanni.

Of course, I may need help with the traveling legendary pokemon traveling thing.

Anyway, as you know the climate in the Orre region is not supportable, but the kami trio will help the climate get better. The result of it brings out new, custom-made Pokemon to be native to the region. Lots and lots of good ones. New pieces of land would be made to be added to the Orre region, too.

Now then, I would like everyone to tell me what you all think of Pokémon GX and my ideas for it. Please, no negative feedback or insults. Thank you.

Back