• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to make water reflection sprites in Photoshop

Honeymaid

Game Design Student IRL
Years
Okie day then, i've figured it out, for any and all overworld sprites
This will also come with pictures, so be happy, much less confusion :)

First, let's see what the original reflection pics look like.

Okie dokie then, as you can see, it's upside down, and mirrored(of course :P )
but the colors look drained, or rather whiter, and as i'm not sire if anyone's posted this, I figured I may as well try to contribute.

and please note, i've yet no idea how to do reflections in ANY game maker, so please please don't ask, cause I wanna know the same thing.

Now then, on to the tutorial

Supplies needed:
-At least a sprite of each direction of your character
-Photoshop(or something similar, as far as i know, iDraw and paint won't do this, i could be wrong)
-The ability to read and follow directions/instructions

Okay then, Honeymaid, how do we do this, you may ask, that is if you don't read further, cause then you will know.

Well first let's see the original character sprites i'm using

Not the best, but they'll do for the example

now then, take your sprites, select the BOTTOM 4 rows of pixels
and fill with whatever color you'd be using for transparencies in your sprite sheet

Yes, that's my PC screen, be amazed

Then, go to Image>Adjustments>Brightness & Contrast(keep in mind you must be in RGB mode)

Now then, use these EXTREMELY simple settings of +80 brightness

Then, make sure each direction is in a different layer, and flip the Left and Right ones Vertically only and the Up and Down ones Vertically and Horizontally

Voila, after that, you're finished, but i decided to show you what it would look like as an ingame sprite, not an actual screenshot

TADA!

Thank you for reading this, and if this is in the wrong section, I'm sorry, as I'm new :embarrass

All comments are welcome :)

Last edited:

Dudedude

I am the Johto Man
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2007
Pls tell us when you know how to do this for either RPGM2K3 or RPGMXP!

On topic;Wow!

Honeymaid

Game Design Student IRL
Years
18 years old, 19 on September 28th, just started though, and i'm already way ahead of the rest of my peers because of my past 2.5 years of experience in photoshop and 3ds max, barely a lick of coding experience though :(

Honeymaid

Game Design Student IRL
Years
hmmm, not quite sure, i guess once i figure that out for screencaps, i'll tell you straight away...

::goes to look for screenshots of the differences::

Honeymaid

Game Design Student IRL
Years
no seriously, it's gonna take me at least 3o minutes of scrrenshot finding/comparing and photoshop experimenting... ten to one it'll take me a little while, but when it's finished i'll PM you, no worries

Karasuma

It's beemo time!
Years
Honeymaid said:
no seriously, it's gonna take me at least 3o minutes of scrrenshot finding/comparing and photoshop experimenting... ten to one it'll take me a little while, but when it's finished i'll PM you, no worries

great then I'll go sleep.

Back