• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Removal of Day-Night System

Pretor54

Dunsparce needs an evo
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2012
The title itself is pretty self-explanatory. Crystal was the last pokémon to have Day-Night System (DNS) when RSE came out. FRLG neither had it. Not that FRLG needed it anyway, but GSC had a DNS. Do you feel like RSE should have it? Or was something useless to you?

kingofeds

The Ed-olution is here!
Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2022
In terms of how RSE ended up playing out, I think it wasn't necessary. To me, it wasn't all that great in GSC, but I think it was too ahead of its time. I felt that it made more sense for some reason when it was reintroduced in the DS games.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
In terms of how RSE ended up playing out, I think it wasn't necessary. To me, it wasn't all that great in GSC, but I think it was too ahead of its time. I felt that it made more sense for some reason when it was reintroduced in the DS games.

Definitely agree with this. I found it a little pointless and irritating in Gold, but it seemed to fit in more in DPPt, HGSS and BW.

When I've played through RSE I didn't miss it, though. It's something I could do with or without.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I liked the feature, however isn't that what ultimately killed GSC batteries? Having that in? RSE does have an internal clock that can die, but at least you can still play the game so it's not a complete screwover. Though I could be totally wrong lol. Either way, I felt like it didn't need it, but I can think of a lot of places in Hoenn that I'd love to see at night. But the lack of the system didn't make the game less fun for me.

Pretor54

Dunsparce needs an evo
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2012
I liked the feature, however isn't that what ultimately killed GSC batteries?
Yes, yes, they were exhausted pretty quickly.
In RSE, if the battery dies, I'm pretty sure the only thing that dies along is the berry cycle. Nothing really canonical. In DS, luckily, the DS battery handles the time, so you can play ad infinitum in your DNS.

Mentalii

Back
Years
When I noticed RSE hadn't this feature, I missed this Day-Night System. It was great. Moreover, for a game that introduced the weather, it was a real pity to forget something like that.
Well, it wasn't that important, even though it would have been a little plus.

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2020
It wasn't a big deal for me, because it was the cause of GSC's battery drain. I never cared seeing the day/night shift in-game anyways.

Years
To be completely honest, it just ruined the game and limited to the Pokemon you wanted to catch at that hour. I prefer the day-only system.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
To be completely honest, it just ruined the game and limited to the Pokemon you wanted to catch at that hour. I prefer the day-only system.
Yep. I hated only being able to play during the night time during the school year, so I ended up having limited Pokemon and always seeing the dreary night time. I thought that alone ruined it for me, although the mechanics are interesting. But I didn't mind when they didn't put them in the RSE games as I didn't think they needed them. Yet, I'd like to see Hoenn during the night time, especially Lilycove.

If anything, I thought FRLG needed it a bit, partially because I'd like to have gotten an Espeon without having to trade.

Years
I actually miss the Day/Night. Just like seeing night all the time is dreary so is seeing day all the time is dreary for me. Also when the internal battery runs out you can still play but like it was said above you can no longer grow berries. However another effect takes place in the cave north of Mossdeep. you can only get to certain places at high/low tide which is every 6 hours. That being the case items and snorunt is out of reach and you can't get all the sea salts and all the sea shells so the old man in the front can make you a shell bell.

Pinta77

The first Pokemon game I ever played was Crystal version, followed by Ruby version.

In a lot of ways, ruby/sapphire were a step backwards in my opinion. The day and night system was removed, pokemon animations were removed, the time capsule trading system was removed.(which could have been useful from crystal to ruby imo) I stuck with crystal version for quite awhile before I finally started playing gba more.

Years
I was never a big fan of the Day/Night system in Gold, so it didn't bother me too much that it wasn't in the Gen III games (that, and like psyanic said, I only had the opportunity to play my games at night, so it would have gotten a little boring).

What bothered me more though was the complete removal of the clock system for FR/LG. I didn't realize how small things like growing berries, checking my lottery ticket number and having time-based evolutions like Umbreon and Espeon actually affected me until they were missing.

Years
I started with 3rd Gen, so I didn't know about this until 4th Gen came out.

But yeah, I felt a little odd playing without this feature cos they took out such a great feature that gives the games a realistic look. Also, I often got confused whether Shoal Cave had high or low tide.

Back