• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2012 Survivor's Party @ Drakow's House

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Yeah, the classes I was in were strictly aimed at print journalism and didn't cross over into broadcast. Maybe that was it? All I know is that interviews and reports were the common thing for us and the papers were just...ridiculously rare. They were worthy a hefty part of our grades when we had them, but you also got the sense that the teachers just threw them in to give us a break. Our usual work load was doing something like three to five interviews per week, so that kept us pretty busy.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Well, in my university we had to write a couple articles per week and spend most of our time with cameras and all, which was definitely fun. If anything, long reports were left for the end of the semesters, as a sort of project worth a load points in the final grade. But we didn't have to write a lot, honestly.

In fact, ever since I started working, in the busiest of days I get to write around 1,000 words, which isn't that horrible for a 5-hour shift- in fact some days I end up wanting to find more to write about XD

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
roar uni is not easy. But as Kura said it's probably a workload thing more than anything - if there was less of it then yeah the actual content wouldn't be too nasty but ugh sheer volume of stuff. But then, in fairness, I'm spreading myself wayyyyyy too thin with extra commitments and going out like... most nights. I need to sort out my time. v__v

Yeah my first year uni I commuted like 4-5 hours a day.. >_> Not fun.. but then it only got tougher from there.
My last year.. I maybe went out.. 3 times the entire year, and it was still crazy loaded with coursework.. to the point I was pulling all nighters like.. every third night in my last month.

After a while, you realize just how much you miss being able to write those thousand word reports rather then being super critical on what you absolutely need to present and what you can toss out from an interview or report.

This! When I took my psychology elective.. >_> oh dear god did I miss writing those flowy essays for english class. But it even had to be 10 pages of strict information.. written APA style which I only did like once before in my whole life like 6 years prior. Everything else was MLA style.. and oh man that took some adjusting to.
I did not like that class only because I needed to memorize so many technical things.. and when I'm doing a million other things at uni and it's not my major.. I found it crazy hard.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Yeah my first year uni I commuted like 4-5 hours a day.. >_> Not fun.. but then it only got tougher from there.

Yeah I still have no idea how you could handle the 4-5 hours a day thing... it'd kill me lol. I'd have to be up so early and it'd be so tiring and ughughuguhg wow. Maybe a little bit cheaper, depending on how you get train tickets or whatever you used, than living at the university itself but still. Can't imagine how hard that would be lol.

My last year.. I maybe went out.. 3 times the entire year, and it was still crazy loaded with coursework.. to the point I was pulling all nighters like.. every third night in my last month.

hcuifwebifwe ouch. I can't imagine going out that little at university haha, although that said, a lot of people here say that your amount of time spent going out reallllly drops off towards the end when you have a ton of work to do. Especially if you're in sciences like me and you have a research project to be getting on with. I mean, I'm already involved in some research stuff but I'm obviously not leading it or anything so I still have a good amount of time to myself but if I was more involved in it then... damn. Just seeing how much work these guys do is sorta scary.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I have yet to go out in the city I moved to. Can't afford it! Paying for yourself and living in your own apartment in one of the busiest Capitol cities in Europe, going to college, travelling 100 miles to work every weekend, I guess I don't have time or money really haha.

I guess I won't get to live the typical college life like you Leaf :p

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I have yet to go out in the city I moved to. Can't afford it! Paying for yourself and living in your own apartment in one of the busiest Capitol cities in Europe, going to college, travelling 100 miles to work every weekend, I guess I don't have time or money really haha.

I guess I won't get to live the typical college life like you Leaf :p

You could have it though!

...if you wanna be like most students in England and throw yourself into a world of pain and DEBT. One of my friends is doing a 4-year degree in Engineering in London and is gonna be in for something like roughly £60,000 debt by the time he leaves. Or something absurd like that anyway. v_________v

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I think most American students are like that too. :( "crushing courseload? 20,000-50,000 a year in loans? BETTER PARTY EVERY WEEKEND"

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
LOL. Yeah a lot of people are doing the whole "I'll pay the college back web I get a job" thing. Which is like taking out a second mortgage. A lot of people are complaining about how expensive their country is and how there's so little money, especially in the US. I was talking to a few people from the US during te elections and they were giving out about it. I said it could be worse, that Ireland isnt so good. They were like "nah you guys are fine, you have it all sorted out. No problems nope."

I was like... "the country is bankrupt, America isn't even in a recession" lol. It's funny how people say how bad they have things. I'm saying that and realising I could be living in a 3rd world country. Gotta be grateful for what you got! That's why I am pretty okay about not going out too often.

Years
I got the impression from a lot of people in college who would party all the time that they were just so happy they escaped from their various small towns where they felt a lot of people in their high schools would never move on.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Did those people not party back in their small towns? It seems like it would be something they'd do to keep sane in whatever small town they were in before uni.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
I LIVE IN A SMALL TOWN AND THERE ARE LITERALLY NO PARTIES EXCEPT FOR THE 'FUN' ONES AT THE LOCAL KIDS SCHOOL
I'M NOT A PARTYING PERSON BUT STILL I DON'T WANT TO DRIVE (CAN'T DRIVE MYSELF, HAVE TO CARPOOL) FOR AN HOUR INTO THE CITY IN ORDER TO GET DOWN

Years
Academically you are very clever, Razor Leaf. But I've met my fair share of people like you. Get really good results in college and then due to one reason or another - often poor time management - they end up falling short at university. I have high expectations of you if only because you yourself raised the bar to such a height.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Sometimes people complain about student loans and how tough it is to repay them, yet they still go out on trips with friends during summer time and like mentioned, you got all the parties going on. Sometimes you just have to cut out on things and re-organize your priorities to save money. Short term sacrifices have to be made.

Ya time management is certainly a challenge... and it's not always because of fun vs study. Recently I did extremely poorly on a relatively easy subject, just because I over-emphasized my studies on a difficult subject and neglected the easier one =/

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Sometimes though... your brain knows that you should get to work, but your heart and body refuse to listen to rational thoughts. ._.

Like... right now *posting instead of working on getting ahead during this holiday weekend* >_<; Got major issue motivating myself to work at the moment!

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
Time management is the devil and my worst trait. I cannot do it for crap. I'll sit on the computer for hours rather than doing errands like I'm supposed to.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I have a massive problem where I can only either do something all at once or not at all. Either I do two weeks' worth of dishes for an hour straight or I don't do dishes at all, there's no in between where I do half, take a break, and do the rest or something. And then I procrastinate even worse because I know I'll need a huge chunk of time when I have to do it to get it done and ugh. It's terrible.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Time management is the devil and my worst trait. I cannot do it for crap. I'll sit on the computer for hours rather than doing errands like I'm supposed to.

Same here :c
Like, everyday I tell myself that tomorrow I'll study better and whatnot, then I end up wasting more time on my laptop all day >_>

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Haha even though I have nothing to do on most days (since I'm not in school and I don't work) , Im still not good at managing time. I spend most of my day on my computer and don't go to bed to around 5am/6am cause I get to distracted by things on the Internet. It was worse when I was in school cause I'd stay up on my computer and forget to finish homework.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back