• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will there ever be a new adventure in a previous world?

Years
  • Seen Aug 30, 2013
Do you think this is plausible?

Kind of like going back to Johto but things have changed. Gym leaders are different, certain buildings have been torn down, certain buildings renovated, new enemies. Original characters are older but still part of the plot. The area is now populated by Pokemon that didn't live there previously etc.

Basically a 10 or 15 years later scenario.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Yeah? I mean, isn't this exactly what happened in Gold and Silver, and perhaps the remakes as well? Save for it being 10 to 15 years later.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you want to know if it exists or do you want us to make up a hypothetical that hasn't been done before officially?

Years
  • Seen Aug 30, 2013
I'm asking if you think it's something they'll do in the future.

I'm not talking about a remake but a continuation. Kanto for example. New lead character possibly from one of the other cities. The cities are the same cities but bigger, parts of them torn down and replaced. The characters are new but some of them have links to past characters etc.

A new game. New adventure. In one of the previous regions. You gotta wonder if they'll look to do that sometime in the future as opposed to continuously creating regions. As the technology advances maybe have a game with several previous regions.

SLITCX

Spontaneous Water Lover
Years
There possibly will be a game like that. However, the only problem that I will have with the game is that it won't really be challenging in some areas.

What I would like is that instead of predetermined levels on their opponent's Pokemon level, they would take the average of our Pokemon and make it the gym's Pokemon level.

For example:
We started in the Kanto region, defeated the Johto region part of the game and am finally moving on to the Hoenn part of the game. Our pokemon should roughly be around level 60-63-ish.

Now what if we want to go back to Kanto and get 100% completion on the trainers? Their pokemon would be like... level 10-12-ish? So if they implemented that function, their pokemon would be the average of ours, so it'd be like level 60 as well. It would be fun and more... challenging. Think of the Guild Wars 2 area progression in a way.

I kind of went astray and suggested an idea that I hoped they would implement if they do create a game that is based on all regions.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Oh, okay. Cool. I gotcha. That's why asking for clarity works, folks. ;P

In that case, I'd have to say it's not an impossibility, but the reason they may not opt for it outside of a remake is because an old region has too much baggage or expectation. In a way, Gold/Silver still sorta-kinda did that, as it wasn't a remake, but the adventure didn't start there. I remember people being disappointed with Kanto in Gold/Silver, so if some people were livid back then, I can't imagine how they'd react to a full fledged game of Kanto: The Future. Others, on the other hand, would love it. People being disappointed with change in Pokemon is as old as this franchise.

By starting with a new region, they can write a new story from scratch, and there are no expectations outside of gameplay, and your general subjective aesthetics. They can also introduce a fresh set of new monsters. It's not that they couldn't otherwise, but if most the old ones disappeared to make room, someone's going to complain. A lot of someones. Your best option is to add additionals, and the number is already too high in every region.

If you wanted to approach it as [region]:The Future as a game marketed towards getting older (by when they started and age) fans back into the series, I can't imagine that would work, either, considering they're holding on to the nostalgia of things as they were even tighter. Remakes sort of work better for that.

Maybe it'd make an interesting gaiden game or something, but I can't see it working as part of the series proper. Limitations and risks seem to be what's stopping it from happening.

Years
  • Seen Aug 30, 2013
Business wise for them, creating a new region makes the most sense. Has the least amount of pressure, too.

Once the number of regions gets pretty high though, I imagine they would try something different. Especially when we hit 1000 Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
Each region has its own backstory and mythology. Every Generation teaches us about the region that is introduced, and as in HG/SS, we learn a little extra about Johto and Sinnoh. But going back to the same region where we already know the back stories would then make you wonder "Why has so much changed here?".

Take Unova, we know its history between the fueding brothers and the legend of the Original Dragon. The 3 Unova dragons have all been captured, so why would we need to go back? And I don't think it would be wise to build a whole new backstory for Unova with totally different Legendary Pokemon.

I think the closest to a revisiting of the older regions will be remakes. Generation 5's story was intentionally drawn out into sequels, unlike Gens 1-4.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
I think that eventually, when they have decided there are enough Pokemon, they will stop making new regions and the like, and focus on all the regions they have made and make more games.
I'd personally like to see the regions from Colosseum and Gale of Darkness put on a handheld game.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
I think that eventually, when they have decided there are enough Pokemon, they will stop making new regions and the like, and focus on all the regions they have made and make more games.
I'd personally like to see the regions from Colosseum and Gale of Darkness put on a handheld game.

That's not likely to happen, especially any time soon...if ever. One of the biggest (if not THE biggest) draws to Pokemon is when new regions and new Pokemon are introduced. As long as these games sell, there will be more Pokemon. (Supposedly, GameFreak has over 1000 Pokemon already designed just waiting to be introduced at some point).

And when you say "make more games", do you mean spinoffs? The spinoff games aren't as popular as the main series.

Years
Personally, I've always hoped that they'd do something like this with the Kanto region, but as many others have said, creating a new region from scratch might almost be easier at times (no previous baggage or expectations vs. the originals).

That being said, I wouldn't rule it completely out of the picture (could be something Game Freak try if sales start to slip one day), but I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

Years
I would love this to happen... maybe in Hoenn?
Many people want a Ruby/Sapphire remake, so how about a return to the Hoenn region with a new story instead?

dragonfly_dust

Look at my avatar! Nuff said.
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
That would cool if like for example, we go back to Kanto and find Giovanni now rules it with an iron fist with a Pokemon clone army.

And when you beat the game (with a vengeful Mewtwo as your backup), the clone pokemons are freed; returned to wild where you can catch them like shinies!!

Back