• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cazzler's OU Team 5th Gen (RMT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
Years
Hey everyone, thanks for visiting this thread and viewing my team!

This team is the one I use in Pokemon Online. I will post my other team from Pokemon Black once its finished...

I also want to thank Smogon for the strategies guide.
Anyways lets begin.

red.png

Name: Cazzler
Tier: OU

Wins: 17
Loses: 18

437.png

Bronzong
- Occa Berry -
Sassy / Levitate
252 HP, 164 Def, 92 SpD
Stealth Rock/Gyro Ball/Hidden Power (Ice)/Earthquake

This here is my Lead Pokemon, it starts out with its Stealth Rock, unless theres a Magic Bounce I'm predicting, It is a major wall.
91.png

Cloyster ♂
- White Herb -
Jolly / Skill Link
48 HP, 252 Att, 208 Spe
Shell Smash/Icicle Spear/Rock Blast/Razor Shell

I've never used this Pokemon yet, but I reckon it will do well, It sets up with Shell Smash, recovers with White Herb and begins it's onslaught!

612.png

Haxorus ♂
- Lum Berry -
Jolly / Mold Breaker
4 HP, 252 Att, 252 Spe
Dragon Dance/Outrage/Earthquake/Brick Break

My Dragon Attacker, It really dosen't do much but put the pain on my foes, those attacks apparently have good coverage. I run it using Lum Berry with Outrage, I use Dragon Dance to boost its already impressive Attack yet decent speed to higher levels.

637.png

Volcarona ♀
- Leftovers -
Timid / Flame Body
4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
Fiery Dance/Bug Buzz/Hidden Power (Ground)/Quiver Dance

My Special Attacker, not much to say for this one, powers up Quiver Dance and unleashes fiery hell!
Anyways Hidden Power (Ground) Is to take out Rock and Fire threats.

534.png

Conkeldurr ♂
- Leftovers -
Adamant / Guts
120 HP, 252 Att, 136 SpD
Mach Punch/Drain Punch/Payback/Bulk Up

This Pokemon sets up by using Bulk Up, raising its attack & defense, then pummels the foe with its moves, Drain Punch is there to restore HP, Payback is to get revenge on Ghost and Psychic types.

465.png

Tangrowth ♀
- Leftovers -
Relaxed / Regenerator
252 HP, 28 Att, 176 Def, 52 SpA
Earthquake/Hidden Power (Ice)/Sleep Powder/Giga Drain

A major Defense wall, its ability is useful while switching out, its attacks have good coverage and Sleep Powder is to stop oppenents from setting up.

Well there you go, thats my team, criticism is always welcome!

Former Team Members

Spoiler:

Updates to the team

Spoiler:

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
(TBH, I don't get why most of your Pokemon have Protect/Detect. Some of your Pokemon could use some extra coverage).

Even when Ferrothorn is holding an Occa Berry, a Fire attack may still severely hurt it. Since your current set doesn't have recovery, how about giving it Leech Seed? You can also consider an entry hazard (Stealth Rock or Spikes).

Even though Conkeldurr's Attack will be boosted by Guts, the self-induced burn from Flame Orb will eventually wear it down, and that doesn't help with its low Speed. You can consider Bulk Up instead of Detect and Lefties over Flame Orb.

Volcarona is walled by Heatran, Dragonite, Salamence and Gyarados with its current set. You can use Hidden Power (Rock) instead of Protect for additional coverage and Fire Blast or Fiery Dance instead of Flamethrower (Fire Blast has the power, while Fiery Dance may boost its Special Attack further).

Rock Slide on Haxorus doesn't really give it much coverage, since Dragon + Ground provide good coverage already. Also, Haxorus' Speed isn't the highest, so you can use Dragon Dance instead of Protect. You can also use Outrage in conjunction with Lum Berry.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
Years
I've tried this team a little more, it really is a hit or miss situation, I'll definately take your suggestions in mind and I'll see how I go, thanks for your input.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
Years
I could but what would Bronzong hold? Since it holds leftovers as well and your not allowed to have identical items, also I feel that Cloyster is too Vulnerable without its White Herb, I could be wrong but I'm not going to change it for now...
Thanks for your opinion though.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Not sure on what to have for Bronzong's held item right now but you could try an Occa Berry in Leftover's place.

The stat drop isn't too much of a problem, you could switch White Herb and Focus Sash for Cloyster and Volcanrona and replace Flamethrower with Overheat to go along with the White Herb that Volcorona would be using at the time. Just something to consider there.

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
You can use the same item. Item Clause doesnt exist only in terrible nintendo tourneys and no one serious enforces it because well, its a stupid clause lol. =P

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
Years
I didn't notice that lol, well the setup now seems okay, at least I'm winning more than losing, even if its only 2 up, its an improvement! XD
EDIT: Well actually my losses shot up... :P I wonder where I'm going wrong. Teams that use Multiscale Dragonite plus Substitute with Thunderwave and Roost absolutely shock me!

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Oh and about Volcarona: don't use Overheat on it since it kills off the Special Attack boosts accumulated with Quiver Dance.

Use this EV spread on Conkeldurr to help it take special hits better: 120 HP/252 Atk/136 SDef. It also needs Leftovers for recovery; there are times when it can't use Drain Punch to heal itself.

As I said before, Haxorus doesn't need Rock Slide; you can use Brick Break to hit Ferrothorn harder, as well as Air Balloon users, Dragon Claw (or Dual Chop) for more reliable STAB outside of Outrage or Taunt to prevent walls from setting up on it.

Years
Hi Cazzler.

You seem to have a basic idea of how everything works, but this team could be a bit better.

Firstly, Bronzong should invest all of its Attack EVs Physical Defense, as the metagame is very Physical and Bronzong is responsible for taking hits from things like Landorus, Dragonite, Excadrill and Terrakion, which hit surprisingly hard even with NVE attacks. Bronzong hits pretty hard already, so offensive power is of no concern to it.

Haxorus wants Brick Break over Rock Slide, as Rock Slide is extremely unreliable in terms of power and accuracy, as well as somewhat redundant with Earthquake and Outrage already there, and Brick Break can be used to dent steels like Skarmory and Ferrothorn, that don't take SE damage from Earthquake.

Volcarona with Overheat isn't great, as you lose your boosts, and even with White Herb, it's still kind of gimmicky, since White Herb is only a one time use. Anyhow, replace White Herb with Leftovers and Overheat for either Flamethrower or Fiery Dance, the latter of which has a chance to raise your SpA. Finally, replace HP Rock for HP Ground, so that you can hit Heatran and Rock Types, which you would otherwise be hard-pressed to defeat.

Conkeldurr looks good, but there are a couple changes you could make with that set as well. Gems are almost never viable, except from being used to activate Acrobatics or Unburden, so giving Conk some Leftovers for some more bulk is the way to go here. Conkeldurr's EVs could also use a bit of an adjustment, I prefer Colonel M's EVs, as they give Conkeldurr the bulk to take on Special Hits and retaliate with Drain Punch to gain its health back.

120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SpD

Finally, give Conkeldurr 1 Speed IVs, to guarentee Payback will go second, doubling its power. Conkeldurr has low speed anyways, so this isn't a big deal. I use 1 Speed IV instead of 0, since 0 is standard, and with 1, you outspeed other 0 Speed IV Adamant Conkeldurr. ;)

Now, for a major change, I think you should consider using Tangrowth, mainly because Fighting Types and Rotom-W really hurt this team and Ferro is just set up bait for the former.

Bronzong is beaten down after numerous boosts, Volcarona can't switch in on most of the OU Fighting Types and can't take a Stone Edge/Payback from Conkeldurr, Haxorus and Cloyster are obviously too frail and can only beat Fighting Types after a boost, but cannot switch in. While Conkeldurr is your best line of Defense against opposing fighting types, if it ever goes down, they can break through your team, so a backup line of defense would be optimal. Ferro, as I already said is bait for them.

Rotom-W is a threat because Bronzong lacks Recovery and has no hope of hitting it for any type of damage after a burn, Volcarona obviously can't switch in, Cloyster loses if Rock Blast doesn't KO or hasn't boosted and Haxorus isn't bulky enough to keep switching in and taking Rotom-W's powerful attacks, same goes for Conkeldurr who eats 74.64%-88.32% from Standard Rotom-W's Hydro Pump and is OHKO'd by Specs Rotom-W's Hydro Pump. Ferrothorn beats it in most cases, but must be wary of a burn, and dies instantly to Hidden Power Fire.

Tangrowth, however, has even more Physical Bulk than Ferrothorn and can switch in and out due to Regenerator. While it does have much less Special Bulk, it's still amazing as a Physical Wall and can shake off NVE Hits like a Champ.

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
252 HP/28 Atk/176 Def/52 SpA
-Earthquake [Beats things like Toxicroak, Lucario and Excadrill]
-Hidden Power Ice [Beats Dragons, Gliscor+Landorus]
-Sleep Powder [Stops set up sweepers like DD Dragonite in their tracks, surprisingly accurate]
-Giga Drain/Power Whip [STAB, Giga Drain is optimal over Power Whip, in the event that Jellicent or Rotom-W burns you.

Finally, if Rotom-W with HP Fire continues to be a major problem, Latias or Latios may be a suitable replacement for Haxorus, as both take down Rotom-W with ease.

Last edited:

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
Years
Hey there Cazzler.

I like the team you have, and have a few suggestions.
From personal experience, I prefer Focus Sash on Cloyster, as this allows it to get 1 guaranteed Shell Smash, as long as there isn't a Sandstorm. Of course, at 1 HP, it becomes priority bait for things like other Conkel and Scizor. But I find it better since if you look at Cloyster's Defensive Stats: 50/180/45
(HP/Defense/SpDefense). Anything stand out to you? Well lets see, that Defense stat is pretty awesome. But if you look at its Special Defense (and its HP lol), you can obviously tell it won't be able to take a Special Attack to the face. Which is why if Cloyster is predicted, the opponent will probably send out a Special Attacker, and proceed with a powerful Special Attack. However, with a Focus Sash, you can take the attack, and Shell Smash, then sweep. However, like said before, with 1 HP, Sandstorm or priority will take you out, and even if sent in late, Entry Hazards will stop your Sash from working, so maybe life orb works better for you. Honestly, it just depends on how well you feel the item works. Try Focus Sash out, and if you dislike it, switch it back to LO, simple. beam
About that Dragonite problem... I assume you've been seeing this Parashuffle set:
-Thunder Wave
-Roost
-Substitute
-Dragon Tail

Now, again, anything that pops out to you about this set? Well, a few things. First of all, this set is very taunt weak. Second, it's one attack move is Dragon Tail, a roar that does a little damage. One poke that can counter Dragonite well is Gliscor! With that pretty good Defense stat of 125, access to Taunt, and can fight back with Ice Fang, considering Multiscale is taken out. Of course, if you see Dnite on the opponents team from Team Preview, you can just get out Cloyster early and start setting up, as Nite can't take more than a few Icicle Spears.

Anyway, good luck with your team! :)

Years
Hey there Cazzler.

I like the team you have, and have a few suggestions.
From personal experience, I prefer Focus Sash on Cloyster, as this allows it to get 1 guaranteed Shell Smash, as long as there isn't a Sandstorm. Of course, at 1 HP, it becomes priority bait for things like other Conkel and Scizor. But I find it better since if you look at Cloyster's Defensive Stats: 50/180/45
(HP/Defense/SpDefense). Anything stand out to you? Well lets see, that Defense stat is pretty awesome. But if you look at its Special Defense (and its HP lol), you can obviously tell it won't be able to take a Special Attack to the face. Which is why if Cloyster is predicted, the opponent will probably send out a Special Attacker, and proceed with a powerful Special Attack. However, with a Focus Sash, you can take the attack, and Shell Smash, then sweep. However, like said before, with 1 HP, Sandstorm or priority will take you out, and even if sent in late, Entry Hazards will stop your Sash from working, so maybe life orb works better for you. Honestly, it just depends on how well you feel the item works. Try Focus Sash out, and if you dislike it, switch it back to LO, simple. beam
About that Dragonite problem... I assume you've been seeing this Parashuffle set:
-Thunder Wave
-Roost
-Substitute
-Dragon Tail

Now, again, anything that pops out to you about this set? Well, a few things. First of all, this set is very taunt weak. Second, it's one attack move is Dragon Tail, a roar that does a little damage. One poke that can counter Dragonite well is Gliscor! With that pretty good Defense stat of 125, access to Taunt, and can fight back with Ice Fang, considering Multiscale is taken out. Of course, if you see Dnite on the opponents team from Team Preview, you can just get out Cloyster early and start setting up, as Nite can't take more than a few Icicle Spears.

Anyway, good luck with your team! :)

Aww, come on, taking my rate introductions? :(

Honestly, with Tyranitar being in the Top 5 of usage for the majority of the metagame, and probably being able to hold its position, not to mention the prominence of entry hazards [unless you want to give Cloyster spin support, which is a decent idea, but fitting a spinner into this team won't allow it to beat the threats it does], Focus Sash doesn't seem like a great option, unless you lead with Cloyster every time, and if you end up fighting a common lead that you match up badly against, like Tyranitar or Rotom-W, then Cloyster either has to switch out and most likely get its sash broken or stay in and hope they switch out, or hope it can OHKO before they damage you.

Cloyster's best niche is to switch in on a Pokemon that just beat one of its teammates and force it to switch, giving you a Shell Smash. Obviously, it would need to switch in on something that matches up badly against it, but that's not that hard, considering it can still tank hits with its massive defense and every player wants to get their Cloyster Counter in ASAP. Honestly, Sashes are only great on leads, and leading with Cloyster is not the way to go in every game, so the Sash will be almost nonexistant if you don't lead with Cloyster, so the ability to get your stats back via White Herb or to do more damage via Life Orb is the best option, in my opinion, as it is effective at almost any stage in the match.

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I hope you don't try to set up on special attacks with Cloyster, solarowl! :(

I generally prefer White Herb, because by removing the -1 Defense drops, Cloyster is much less vulnerable to revenge kills and can abuse its amazing base Defense to tank a Bullet Punch from Scizor or two. There are a few other 'usable' items, like King's Rock (iirc it's a pretty high chance to flinch) and Scope Lens (which gives it a decent shot at critting), but you're not going to out-power LO with those items.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
Years
Thanks for all your helpful suggestions! I haven't been on in a while, I was using the same team and its still lacking, I'll make use of your suggestions and hopefully it might work out better! :D
Thanks again guys for your input.

EDIT: So far I'm encountering problems like Belly Drum/Baton Pass Smeargle and Swords Dance/Agility/Baton Pass Scizor, I do sometimes pull through, but In the end the team is not showing any signs of improvement, I think its the decisions I make during battle, after all I'm still a 'begginer'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back