• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Illegal file sharing

Years
What's your opinion of it? Do you think it's completely wrong and it's stealing? Or do you think that it actually encourages people to get into a franchise by pirating the content first to try it out?
Also what do you think of the way the people are combating illegal file sharing? (e.g. taking down megaupload and some internet providers blocking thepiratebay)

Years
Okay, I will confess and say I have downloaded files illegally in the past, but nowadays I don't download illegally. It certainly is stealing and it's subtracting money from the person who worked hard to publish their file (like a song, for example) and request it'd be obtained via a payment, but then it's going all around P2P networks not costing the downloaders anything.

As for the Megaupload taking down, I think that was a bit wrong. There were those who have uploaded non-pirated files on Megaupload just as a simple cloud solution for file sharing, but because of the DMCA copyright violations on the site, the whole thing had to get taken down. And for TPB, I don't use that site. For one, I'm not a torrent downloader and because The Pirate Bay is actually known for its copyright violations, hence why many ISPs are blocking them.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Okay, I will confess and say I have downloaded files illegally in the past, but nowadays I don't download illegally. It certainly is stealing and it's subtracting money from the person who worked hard to publish their file (like a song, for example) and request it'd be obtained via a payment, but then it's going all around P2P networks not costing the downloaders anything.

As for the Megaupload taking down, I think that was a bit wrong. There were those who have uploaded non-pirated files on Megaupload just as a simple cloud solution for file sharing, but because of the DMCA copyright violations on the site, the whole thing had to get taken down. And for TPB, I don't use that site. For one, I'm not a torrent downloader and because The Pirate Bay is actually known for its copyright violations, hence why many ISPs are blocking them.

I think you're a bit oversimplifying. There are three kinds of pirates:

1. The person that wants the game but can't afford or/will not pay for it, so pirates it.
2. The person that wants the game and would buy it if they didn't have the option to pirate.
3. The person that is intending to buy the game if they enjoy it.

Person 1 is not a loss to the company. They would not have bought the game otherwise so it's no lost revenue, and in fact if the person ends up liking the game they may buy future products or spread through word of mouth that the musician or developer is skilled which is a net gain for them.

Person 2 is a net loss for the company, no doubt about that. These are the people that the companies want to reign in with their strict ways of keeping people from pirating; because if the option isn't there, they would gain more money from them.

Person 3 is a net gain for a good company that makes good music/games. If the person didn't have the option to try the game first, they may not shell out 40-60 bucks, only to get 20 when they trade it back in because it's a bad game.

What you have to do is separate out the 3 and see why the person pirates. Also another thing to consider is there's more price to a game than the physical tag: I once heard games described in terms of price, convenience, and morality. While each of them are calculated differently for each person depending on how strongly they care about each of the values, the point is still the same - the one that costs the lowest in these 3 values will be the route that the person takes. If the person is pirating a game from a publisher they like for example, the morality cost would be higher as they would want to support that publisher. If they pirate an online game, the convenience cost would be higher because they would be unable to connect to the official servers and play with their friends.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
We used to have discussions about this sort of thing all the time back on the Temp (being an underground community where talk of piracy was simple conversation made it an inevitability). I was a major pirate years back, and there were several reasons for this. The first, and probably the most prominent (yet the one I am most shameful of) was because it was easy and free. I was a Middle/High School student withy no income and few forms of pay, piracy was so simple that when I was introduced to it (though I originally didn't know that it was wrong) I was hooked. In recent years I've been trying to recoup by buying games that I still have that are pirated (MH3, PW: Rise from the Ashes, and a slew of digital downloads are crossed off of my "to buy" list. So you could say that it was both due to me having no income and "just because", but from a moral point of view I don't know if either one it really in the blue.

The second reason is something that I'm actually quite happy of the result of. My Wii had been collecting dust and I had few games for it, but when I heard you could hack it for Homebrew (which I didn't know could result in piracy at the time) I did it immediately. I started with self-piracy (games I previously owned), then went on to bigger games. This is really what made me fall in love with the Wii (and later the DS). There are a good number of gems on the Wii (especially for the seventh generation), and they're often overlooked. Heck, I overlooked them, too. However, I wasn't limited by price with piracy, I walked freely in a mall that allowed my to pick anything and leave, and it was because of this that I was able to try out some of the best games I've ever played, including Ace Attorney, 999, Monster Hunter, etc. There were so many good games on the two systems that my 360 and PS3 started being the ones collecting dust, and it really revived the love I had for Nintendo that I had at a younger age.

The third reason makes the moral scale wobble in both directions a little. As I mentioned before, there was self-piracy. This, I'm actually completely okay with, especially since companies are trying to faze out used games and incorporate digital downloads into everything. As I said, at a younger age I had no income, and my parents would only buy games for me if it was my birthday or Christmas or for some report card (they were trying to get me to understand discipline and money management, they stopped buying me games at around age 6). How is a gamer to live without money? Trading in games. That was the only way to do it for me, and I traded in a lot of games I would later regret selling and would sometimes buy them back (probably the game that I sold that I regret the most, to this day, is Persona 4). I've lost a lot of great games that way, so I've decided that I would redownload them. Granted, I always prefer having actual copies, self-piracy has actually been a means that I've been okay with (not that it makes it any more legal), not to say that it's something I endorse, though. I, myself, am really struggling with this one.

Two other reasons are region availability and hacking, the latter of which can, and should, be done with an original copy, but the former requires money, hardware, and credentials I just never had.

My point is, there are tons of reasons people can pirate things. Is it ever good? From a legal standpoint, no, it's not. From a moral standpoint, it's subjective and also depends on the purpose for most people. I don't endorse the act but I can't exactly turn my back to what I started, nor can I actually say that it's always bad.

Last edited:

SS01

#PoC Collab
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016

1. The person that wants the game but can't afford or/will not pay for it, so pirates it.
2. The person that wants the game and would buy it if they didn't have the option to pirate.
This, this, this. Great Explanation Toujours. I consider myself the first - I will not pay for most software but I (won't) pirate it. For this reason I do not stop myself from pirating for moral reasons. Instead I do not pirate software much because of this insanely irrational fear I have of being caught (make of that what you will).

Pingouin_7

I would never have bought Jam with the Band if I couldn't have tried it first.

Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2012
Gaming wise, I always buy it.
Music, I only buy artists I really like. (Gaga, Marina & The Diamonds, Lana Del Rey, LIGHTS, Gwen Stefani, No Doubt, etc)

Years
I would download free songs that you can't normally buy off itunes or any other site, and games that you can't find in a game store such as snes, GBC etc. However, things that you can buy that recently came out in store or online should be bought legitimately, simply because some of the money goes to the company that made the movie or videogame and worked hard on it.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years

^This is my opinion on all of it.

My argument as to net losses for artists/companies/whatever is that for artists, if they're doing it for money, their completely missing the point of art. My father is an amazing painter and has 4 and a half years of college to show for it. Our house is filled with paintings that he all made. Did he make a dime off of any of it? No. He's is also a metal musician and is part of multiple bands. Do any of those bands make money off the countless hours of effort and thousands of dollars spent on instruments and recording software? Again, not at all.
As for corporate net losses, I'd rather not get started on how much petty greed they've displayed for their love of money, so I could give less than a crap about letting some billionaire starve.

droomph

weeb
Years
Maybe if there was like a Fair Trade Agreement for musicians, I would be more than happy to buy music rather than steal it.

Why? Because I support the musicians, not the corporates who suck that money up. At most, I want to at least support the mastering guys.

Reactions: Zet

Jaegir

Yes
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 22, 2015
I very rarely pirate anything but TV shows nowadays. I pirate a game every once in awhile but abhor piracy towards indie developers. Things like that will destroy the industry and give us a new Call of Duty every year instead of something great.

Years
Maybe if there was like a Fair Trade Agreement for musicians, I would be more than happy to buy music rather than steal it.

Why? Because I support the musicians, not the corporates who suck that money up. At most, I want to at least support the mastering guys.

I thought this too (that the big companies get all the cash), but they have to employ a lot of people to get the job done. The artists are part of a large group of employees that do everything from marketing to cleaning. Yes, they sometimes get the short end of the stick, but they can't get all of the profits, either.

I always buy my music and games.
Movies and TV shows are a difficult one - I occasionally download them purely because I'm never going to watch them again (probably something every few months, at most). $20 for two hours of entertainment that I may not enjoy is a big gamble. Plus I'd much rather a format that I can do whatever I want with without re-encoding, etc. I'm not justifying it, but do tend to watch them at the movies when new, which is what really makes or breaks a film. If there was a reasonably-priced way of getting them conveniently, I probably would, as I don't actually support piracy.

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
Years
  • Age 30
  • TN
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
I usually only download anime and old games. If I love the anime enough, I'll buy the dvds, but otherwise no. I don't usually consider pirating my stuff bad, because I wouldn't have bought it anyway, I just wanted to see it, and for the stuff that I did like, I bought afterward. I never download newer games, though, always buy for those.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years

I fit in with the 3rd option more. Mostly for movies and TV Shows, I'll admit it, I have downloaded shows before, I have deleted them by now. That was until I discovered www.watchcartoononline.com I don't download anymore.

I like to sample the movie/tv show just until I saved enough to buy them on VHS or DVD. Music I use YouTube to listen to the music and if I really love the song I'll buy the song at Amazon, or if I like the album I'll purchase the CD.

Forgot to mention - I do think that File sharing/pirating is wrong its the same as stealing. For PirateBay and other similar sites I have not visit in years.

Last edited:

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I pirate just to pirate. I hate the MPAA and RIAA so I download as much as their stuff as possible. Little man companies and small businesses though (esp. apps) I try to purchase to support the developer. I want to support the person who deserves it... not the greedy corporations.

I downloaded 106gb of Disney movies to stick it to the MPAA :P

FirEmerald

Pokemon reverse engineer
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
it depends

I think that they should just make it legal, but add stuff like advertisements or reduced quality images, so that it is more like a demo than an actual game, but keep all the storylines and stuff intact. Then, if you like the game, you would want to buy it so you could play it in full resolution and no ads.
and also they should not release the download until maybe a couple of months or so after the product release.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I think that they should just make it legal, but add stuff like advertisements or reduced quality images, so that it is more like a demo than an actual game, but keep all the storylines and stuff intact. Then, if you like the game, you would want to buy it so you could play it in full resolution and no ads.
and also they should not release the download until maybe a couple of months or so after the product release.

Dumbing down the game will make people pirate it, even if it's the same story... :\ That's just not a solution, sadly. Some people will pirate it because they want to try it, some people can't afford it so they pirate, while others just pirate to pirate.

FirEmerald

Pokemon reverse engineer
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
Dumbing down the game will make people pirate it, even if it's the same story... :\ That's just not a solution, sadly. Some people will pirate it because they want to try it, some people can't afford it so they pirate, while others just pirate to pirate.
Stupid people. All they acomplish is making things worse.

Back