• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When do you consider you Pokemon Game "Compelted"

MeerFall

Strong, Competitive, Cool!
Years
I consider it complete after completing the story, beating the champion then collect all the legendaries.

That is all I do in any pokemon game.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Completing a game is far by the most difficult thing to come across in a standard Pokémon came. This is due to the presence of many reasonable objectives to finish. For example, I take the very first game I have ever devoted reasonable progress in the hope of completing it, Pokémon Ruby. I can list out the objectives as:

★Beating the Elite Four -
★Getting Master Ribbons in all contests - ★★★★
★Getting through a 100 win-streak in the Battle Tower - ★★★
★Completing the Regional Pokédex - ★★★★
★Completing the National Pokédex - ★★★★★

As you can see, not all of the objectives are simple, some are fairly hard, some even downright impossible. Which is why it is extremely rare to come across a completed game. Thus, I classify my qualifications of 'completing' a game as:

★Beating the Elite Four (twice, if needed)
★Completing the Post-Game Storyline

... and that pretty much sums it up.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I have my own criteria depending on the generations:
Gen 1/2: completed, if everything important done and Pokedex finished (not counting Celebi)
Gen 3: completed, if everything story related done and all catchable Pokemon catched (excluding trades, events)
Gen 4/5: completed, if everything story related done and all legendaries catched (excluding trades, events)

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I got two ways of 'Completed'

Main story completed & Game completion.

Main story completed is when I finish the main story that the game gives us and the credit is seen rolling over.

Game Completion is when I catch every single Pokemon, finish every sidequest and finish every single thing that the game as offered us. Like the Battle Tower, Pokeathlon, catching all the Pokemon & Pokedex completion etc.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
I agree, I don't particularly enjoy the side-games like the Contest, PokéAthalon and such. I'm a battling man. I NEED TO BATTLE. The only reason I partook of the PokéAthalon for the Evolution Stones and that took a lot a time. I can't tell you how long I had a Poliwhirl and Weepinbell.

I'd also like to point out the other thing I have to get done is exploring all the side areas. Some not even containing Legendaries.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
When I finish the post game stuffs, defeating the best trainer and catching all the legendaries.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
I call my game completed when I:

-Beat the Elite 4

-Caught every legendary I can without events

-Completed any post plot event

-(depending on the game) Filled up my Pokedex.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Once the Elite Four or the equivalent has been beaten. If there's anything worth doing post game, maybe I'll tackle it, but often times there's not a whole lot of a reason to. For me, the game's already lost steam and purpose after the credits roll.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I consider the game compelted :P by beating the Champion, and picking up every TM and item from the shop (or anywhere where they sell).

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
I'm quite 'lenient' on myself in terms of when I feel my game's completed: when I beat the Elite Four for the first time. Anything I do after that's just for kicks, but it's pretty fun.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Honestly? Beating the Elite Four, unless there is a significant story chunk afterwards. Let me think in greater detail:

RBY: Probably capturing Mewtwo, if I'm honest. Although if I were playing it now, I'd probably say after defeating Gary/Elite Four and not care about Mewtwo.
GSC: Defeating Red. That one's just obvious.
RSE: Defeating the Elite Four. As much as Rayquaza probably occupies a similar status to Mewtwo, I was never really that bothered about capturing it when playing through the game.
DPPt: Haven't actually completed this one yet... shhhhhh
BW: Elite Four for the second time. Don't care about ANY of that post-game, unfortunately.

So I guess I have quite a flexible definition of when the game's finished.

CrowSvenson

DarkTrainer
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 24, 2016
All gyms defeated.
Elite 4 defeated.
Every trainer defeated.
Completed pokedex.
Every item collected.
Every contest completed.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I consider my game completed in general when defeating the Elite 4 unless there's a huge amount to do in the postgame. In G/S/C and HG/SS, I would consider the game complete after beating Red for the first time. I wouldn't consider your game not complete until you get the highest ranking possible on your trainer card and completing the Pokedex because that's honestly really time consuming. However I guess for most games I consider them complete after defeating the E4 in their rematch mode.

Melody

Banned
Years
Generally I go for a typical "Technical" completion. If I have more time, I pursue higher levels of completeness. I've only ever achieved Obsessive Completion Criteria with Pokemon Ruby.

Technical Completion Criteria
  • Obtain ALL badges.
  • Defeat E4+Champion
  • Defeat the "Bad Guys"
  • Roll Credits
  • Complete all of these without cheatcodes.

Distinction Completion Criteria
  • All of the above without cheats
  • Complete Regional Pokedex (All Seen, except Event/Legendary Pokemon)
  • Defeat "Strongest Trainer" if exists.

From this point on, cheat codes for items/money are acceptable unless otherwise specified. Pokemon cheats are not acceptable. Cheats allowed to limit grinding necessary to complete objectives below.
Advanced Completion Criteria
  • All of the above without cheats
  • Complete Regional Pokedex (All Caught)
  • Obtain National Pokedex
  • Catch ALL Legendary Pokemon standing and moving.

Master Completion Criteria
  • All of the above
  • Complete National Pokedex (Seen)
  • Battle every trainer in game at least once
  • Complete contests at highest level or generation's equivalent.
  • Train entire Party to Level 100 (Limit rare candy usage to less than 10)
  • Play every minigame in the game.
  • Obtain every findable item on the overworld map
  • Perform all in-game trades

Obsessive Completion Criteria
  • All of the above
  • Defeat E4+Champion at least 10 times.
  • Rebattle, if able, every single gym leader in the game and win.
  • Defeat "Strongest Trainer" 3 times
  • Talk to every NPC you can find
  • Defeat every trainer in game once.
  • Defeat every trainer you can rebattle twice (the first and second time) at least.
  • Play your save file for at least 300 hours total.
  • Catch at least 6 shiny pokemon, and if they are below level 50 when caught, train to level 50, if above level 50 when caught, train them to level 100.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
I consider the game completed when I beat the E4. I usually don't play much afterwards since I mainly only play to breed Pokemon now. But back in the day I wouldn't consider the game completed until I've caught every Pokemon and item in the game. I have yet to do this though lol

Reactions: EB
Back