• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best and Worst Books You've Read

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Best books:
Seekers Series - It's an interesting series about a group of bears trying to save the wild. A tree-hugging series with a lackluster ending in my opinion, but still a good read.
A Series of Unfortunate Events - A whimsical (not so) little tale with despair and woe around every corner. A really good series with a dark, yet amusing charm to it.
1984 - The only school required book that I actually enjoyed reading. An interesting story about an incredibly overbearing government that is actually genius when you stop to think about it.

Worst Books:
Great Gatsby - The only school assigned book I never finished. I couldn't force myself to read it. I found the book to be boring, dry, and slow. The movie was better, but not by much.
Animal Farm - I literally threw this book in the garbage and left it there as I layed on my bed in shock at how horrid this book was. Unfortunately, it was the school's so I had to take it out of the garbage eventually. I respect it on a historical level, but as a story, it sucks. Nothing happy happens past page twenty, and you're sent down a path of torture as you watch your favorite characters get picked off one after another. Probably the reaction the author was hoping for, but that doesn't mean I like it.

Sorry, I know you said list three for each, but I couldn't think of a third choice for worst book. I'm pretty picky about what I read, so there aren't too many books I don't like.

Years
Best:
- Twilight series(come on, you knew this comingXD)
- Warriors series (book about wild clan cats)
- Fablehaven series (fairytale book set in modern-day)
- Leven Thumps series (more fantasy)
- darkest powers series (I love anything by Kelly Armstrong!)
- Bone comic books (AMAZING)
- Memiors of a Geisha (Spectacular read! Just as good, if not better-than the movie!)
- Avalon Web of Magic
- thats all the ones that come to mind at the momentXD

Worst:
- Wicked(book about witches)
- Imortal Fire(so boring I don't even know what it is about.)
- Eragon. (I thought it was really boring.)

Years
I actually don't think I've read a 'bad' book. I may not have liked some books because it was assigned reading and a bunch of needless busy work went with it, but I don't think that's reflective of the quality of the writing.

That being said, I disliked Animal Farm & Lord of The Flies in high school, mostly for that fact, and I found that the satire & symbolism was really easy to spot, and it became kind of annoying when my teachers would obsess over & repeat the symbolic message over and over again. But the craftsmanship and writing style is very good I think. You're not supposed to like either of those books, I think. XD There's a reason why they're on pretty much every college-prep curriculum in the States.

Aside from things like Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, etc., I feel like The Lord of The Rings trilogy doesn't quite get the respect it deserves, having been the progenitor of the fantasy genre we all know and love. J.R.R Tolkein was a genius, and even to this day I have a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that he created that entire legendarium - all of that came from his own mind. Having one of the best trio of films ever made about your books helps too.

Last edited:

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
LotR is definitely among the best, but I'll only count that as one. I read them when I was in like 3rd grade, but even when I didn't fully understand them, they still seemed to amaze me.

And the rest of the list, good or bad, will be assigned school readings, since I'm not an avid reader haha.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and The Giver were two of the best books I've read. The former is a really powerful, emotional story, probably the most mind-penetrating book I'd read up to that point. The Giver just had an interesting plot, which made me excited to read further, which doesn't happen often.

The worst books I've read are all classics that I don't really believe deserve the accreditation. Walden, Catcher in the Rye, and Heart of Darkness. These were all very long reads with relatively slow plot progression. They make up with that in powerful interpretation, but for me, I like to read books for the stories and hopefully get as much out of the meaning as I can. I don't care to try to squeeze out the meanings behind rather dry texts.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Best book:
Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows

Worst book:
N/A

I choose my books wisely. ;;

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and The Giver were two of the best books I've read.
I can't believe I forgot about The Giver! It was my favorite book growing up and I reread it around three times. I haven't read it in years though, maybe I should pick it up again.

Magykx

It's too cold for you here.
Years
It is very hard to find a book that actually holds my interest, so I'll only mention my favorites since the dislikes could go on and on.

Warriors (Original Series) - I read this series a few years back and absolutely loved it. It's about these clans of wild cats in the forest. I haven't read passed the original 6 book series, but I'm sure the rest is just as good. I highly recommend it.

Battle Royale - Definitely one of my favorite books of all time. The original Hunger Games. If you liked THG, but thought it needed more gore, Battle Royale is definitely for you. Same concept, except with a much quicker moving plot and obviously more violence. Very well done ending too.

Catching Fire - It sounds cliché, but I genuinely liked this book. It's my favorite of the first two books. I can't speak for the whole series since I didn't finish Mockingjay (oops). It seemed to take a dip and after my friends ruined the ending, I had no motivation to read the last of it... Though I probably will re-read it for the movie.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 14, 2017
Best:
1. Unwind.
2. Fruits Basket.
3. Lorien Legacies.

Worst:
1. The Cay.
2. No Safety In Numbers.
3. Uglies (series).

Back