• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon CrystalDust [v3 PUBLIC ALPHA]

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
Years
However, some things like Cerulean Cave's absence will be rectified, the only difference being that instead of being in GSC's storyline, it'll be after.

That's a pity.

Actually, I think that the Cerulean Cave "fix" is actually one of HGSS's biggest flaws.

Give us some more exciting way to catch Mewtwo, don't make him sit in the same freakin' cave for three motherlovin' years.

Don't bring back a cave for the sake of bringing back a cave. Cerulean Cave's only purpose is Mewtwo and he can be put in the game in a different, more exciting way (give it some story).

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
That's a pity.

Actually, I think that the Cerulean Cave "fix" is actually one of HGSS's biggest flaws.

Give us some more exciting way to catch Mewtwo, don't make him sit in the same freakin' cave for three motherlovin' years.

Don't bring back a cave for the sake of bringing back a cave. Cerulean Cave's only purpose is Mewtwo and he can be put in the game in a different, more exciting way (give it some story).
Well, by "rectified", I didn't mean exactly adding in Cerulean Cave again.
What I meant was adding a way to get Mewtwo in. ;)

Lugiaz Soul

I support Crystal Dust
Years
I totally agree with Maxim. Every legendary should have some story to it. Because if you never hear about it, how is it a legendary? Well Mewtwo was never a legendary but you get the point.

Sierraffinity

Years
I totally agree with Maxim. Every legendary should have some story to it. Because if you never hear about it, how is it a legendary? Well Mewtwo was never a legendary but you get the point.
Mewtwo DID have some story, remember the Pokémon Mansion's journals?
But yeah, there WILL be a cool backstory to it. Just wait and see.
CrystalDust will even connect with my other hack, Shining Opal, interestingly enough.

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
Years
Mewtwo DID have some story, remember the Pokémon Mansion's journals?

But not in HGSS. In HGSS he was just at his cave, without any explanation, as if he hasn't moved an inch for three years.

Same goes for the Birds - they were put into HGSS for no reason. They weren't needed and their existence in the game was bothersome.

But yeah, there WILL be a cool backstory to it. Just wait and see.

Oh great. That's a relief.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
But not in HGSS. In HGSS he was just at his cave, without any explanation, as if he hasn't moved an inch for three years.

Same goes for the Birds - they were put into HGSS for no reason. They weren't needed and their existence in the game was bothersome.
You could easily say that they were there in R/G/B/FR/LG for no reason. How is their existence bothersome? Nobody is forcing you to battle them, and entering Cerulean Cave is completely optional. Yeah, so maybe Mewtwo hasn't moved an inch for three years, but you don't know how long he's already been there in FR/LG, so for all we know, he hasn't moved at all for over a decade. In fact, you could say the same thing about pretty much every stationary legendary in any Pokemon game ever :/. We don't know how Lugia got in the Whirl Islands, we don't know how the Regis got themselves trapped in caves without an entrance, we don't know why Mesprit, Azelf, and Uxie are inside of their lake caverns. But does it really matter? In my opinion, no.

Mewtwo is in Cerulean Cave in HG/SS for the same reason that every other stationary legendary Pokemon is in its respective location. Even if he hasn't moved an inch for 3 years, for all you know, he probably hasn't moved at all for 50 years (well I guess it depends on how old those diaries in the Pokemon Mansion are).

Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2010
i have appologize for my unproper english first.
It is unavailable for me to catch a pokemon.
After using the PokeBall and catching suscessfully, the game stops.

Sierraffinity

Years

You could easily say that they were there in R/G/B/FR/LG for no reason. How is their existence bothersome? Nobody is forcing you to battle them, and entering Cerulean Cave is completely optional. Yeah, so maybe Mewtwo hasn't moved an inch for three years, but you don't know how long he's already been there in FR/LG, so for all we know, he hasn't moved at all for over a decade. In fact, you could say the same thing about pretty much every stationary legendary in any Pokemon game ever :/. We don't know how Lugia got in the Whirl Islands, we don't know how the Regis got themselves trapped in caves without an entrance, we don't know why Mesprit, Azelf, and Uxie are inside of their lake caverns. But does it really matter? In my opinion, no.

Mewtwo is in Cerulean Cave in HG/SS for the same reason that every other stationary legendary Pokemon is in its respective location. Even if he hasn't moved an inch for 3 years, for all you know, he probably hasn't moved at all for 50 years (well I guess it depends on how old those diaries in the Pokemon Mansion are).
Well, both of you do have valid points, but yeah, Chaos Rush is right.
Even so, I WILL make sure that there is some kind of a story to the legendaries I put in.
Let's try to get this back on-topic, people.
Oops, sorry. :P On-topic-ness below...
i have appologize for my unproper english first.
It is unavailable for me to catch a pokemon.
After using the PokeBall and catching suscessfully, the game stops.
I see what you mean, but you must have patched it wrong or to an incorrect ROM, or something else, perhaps.
I can't help you because I don't have that error at all.

nGolem81

Merry Christmas, everyone!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 25, 2010
I swear, this looks like Nintendo made it. You work very hard. Everything is just so... awesome! This is what I was looking for, a very professional-looking Crystal remake. I hope that you will finish this... (no offence to other GSC-remakers) but this looks way better than other GSC remakes!! Keep it up man!

Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2010
Searching the habitat of pokemon with PokeDEX, i can't get the correct map as crystal version. The map showed from the PokeDEX is still the origin map from Emerald. Can this problem be resolved?

Sierraffinity

Years
I swear, this looks like Nintendo made it. You work very hard. Everything is just so... awesome! This is what I was looking for, a very professional-looking Crystal remake. I hope that you will finish this... (no offence to other GSC-remakers) but this looks way better than other GSC remakes!! Keep it up man!
Thank you! A professional-looking GSC remake that is as accurate as possible to GSC is the reason that I made this at all!
Searching the habitat of pokemon with PokeDEX, i can't get the correct map as crystal version. The map showed from the PokeDEX is still the origin map from Emerald. Can this problem be resolved?
Yeah, I still have yet to get around to that...

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2012
good luck, this seems to closest so far to GSC on the GBA i've seen. yay for day/night cycle

Rapyac

PKMN Trainer
Years
The Pokédex thingy? I think that I have the UNZL-numbers for that world map in the DEX... I will post it if u need it-and if I find it.

Sierraffinity

Years
good luck, this seems to closest so far to GSC on the GBA i've seen. yay for day/night cycle
Thanks for the comment.
The Pokédex thingy? I think that I have the UNZL-numbers for that world map in the DEX... I will post it if u need it-and if I find it.
No need, I already have it, I've just not added it in yet.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 15, 2012
This hack is legitimately amazing for a Crystal remake.

My criticisms:

1) Difficulty (or lack thereof). I was running through the game, just seeing what it was, just with a Cyndaquil. It destroyed everything (up to after the Slowpoke Well, after which I tried to save and there was an error and it restarted my game, thus losing the save file. Doh!) and I had to do no grinding. Not saying you need to copy ShinyGold, but I am saying that Crystal was ridiculously easy. :P
2) Wild Pokemon diversity. Or maybe I didn't look hard enough. I saw no Poliwag's on the route to Violet and saw no Bellsprouts in Sprout Tower.
3) Not getting to pick the rival's name. Most people don't care, but I always liked naming my rival something derogatory.
4) Lack of distinction with original Crystal. From what I played, it seems like an exact copy. I liked Crystal, but I don't want to download a hack just to play a prettyfied version of it.

I really love the work you have been doing and good job so far! I can't wait for the next beta.

Sierraffinity

Years
a, Okay great! but you are adding it right? btw this hack is indeed PERFECT.
Yes, I am adding it.
This hack is legitimately amazing for a Crystal remake.

My criticisms:

1) Difficulty (or lack thereof). I was running through the game, just seeing what it was, just with a Cyndaquil. It destroyed everything (up to after the Slowpoke Well, after which I tried to save and there was an error and it restarted my game, thus losing the save file. Doh!) and I had to do no grinding. Not saying you need to copy ShinyGold, but I am saying that Crystal was ridiculously easy. :P
I am aware of this, although I'm trying to make everything as accurate to Crystal as possible, and this falls under that category. Sometime in the future, there's probably going to be a CrystalDust X-type thing, for people who want a challenge.
2) Wild Pokemon diversity. Or maybe I didn't look hard enough. I saw no Poliwag's on the route to Violet and saw no Bellsprouts in Sprout Tower.
For the Poliwags, that's because they come out at night and Beta 1 doesn't have RTC-dependent wild Pokémon encounters In Beta 2, however,there will be. For the Bellsprouts, that's just because... well, there actually ARE none in Sprout Tower. Confusing, isn't it?
3) Not getting to pick the rival's name. Most people don't care, but I always liked naming my rival something derogatory. This feature wasn't in Emerald, so until recently, I didn't know how to add it in. It will be present in Beta 2, don't worry.
4) Lack of distinction with original Crystal. From what I played, it seems like an exact copy. I liked Crystal, but I don't want to download a hack just to play a prettyfied version of it. Well, this is the reason behind this hack: to make it as accurate as possible to GSC, mainly for nostalgic purposes. This is that one hack where you try out something small that was in GSC and you're sure wouldn't have made it here, but it has, and you're amazed.

I really love the work you have been doing and good job so far! I can't wait for the next beta. Thanks! Neither can I. :P
Responses in bold.
Can you believe it? A custom nameable rival in Emerald? If you don't, I can understand why. A video will be released shortly with it inside!

Last edited:

robxu9

Shadowed Warrior
Years
This is a great hack so far!

The only thing that bugs me at the moment is that you used many things from Liquid Crystal. To me, that's not necessarily the best thing.

1. The music is... not the best. Try asking arugurete on Youtube for music, he made a japanese Pokemon Gold, and his sound tracks are... AWESOME. :D (including battle sprites)
  2. When you get the PokeGear, it comes with the Map card...
  3. The PokeGear shows Professor Birch instead of Professor Elm.
  4. Rival isn't nameable... (yet, right? :P)
I'm keeping my eye on this hack. Definitely.

Below is a piece of arugurete's work:

Sierraffinity

Years
This is a great hack so far!

The only thing that bugs me at the moment is that you used many things from Liquid Crystal. To me, that's not necessarily the best thing.

1. The music is... not the best. Try asking arugurete on Youtube for music, he made a japanese Pokemon Gold, and his sound tracks are... AWESOME. :D (including battle sprites)
  2. When you get the PokeGear, it comes with the Map card...
  3. The PokeGear shows Professor Birch instead of Professor Elm.
  4. Rival isn't nameable... (yet, right? :P)
I'm keeping my eye on this hack. Definitely.

Below is a piece of arugurete's work:
I've played the game, and yes, the music is awesome!
I've tried contacting him (or her) before and he never responded, so there goes that idea. Anyways, the music will be made by clonex25 and Magnius, and the ones that sound bad are probably the ones I made myself because I didn't want the generic crap from RSE.
Yeah, I'm going to (somehow) try to figure out how to disable the map until the flag is set.
Yeah, it's still Birch because I didn't edit the text at that point, and so what would happen if you called Elm and got Birch instead? :S Don't worry, it's fixed for Beta 2.
Annddd... you're right. Since Emerald didn't have one built-in, I thought that it would be hopeless. But, some ASM later, I have done it! It will be available in CrystalDust Beta 2.

Back