• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Hidden Ties

What do you think of the storyline?

• Epic! One of the best I've seen!

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Great, it's looking pretty good!

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Mediocre, could definitely be better.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • An embarrassment to hackers everywhere.

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2011
There's a map connection I want to have, and it's spontaneously combusting. I've already removed the map connections I don't want.
what does "spontaneously combusting" mean?

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Well, more like it was just glitching up very badly. I've found a way around it for a moment though; I'm just going to put a building between the routes so that there doesn't even have to be a connection there. I'm still curious as to what is causing this though. Time to brush up on my mapping tutorials! I've been making progress though:
-Second rival scripted
-First town mapped (and map-connected... I hope that goes well).
-Trainers inserted past Broken Path.

By the way, I should warn you, this game is going to have a pretty high difficulty level. As I said, it is your choice whether or not to fight the Yaesu Elite, but if you do, you'll find that their Pokemon far surpass yours, unless you spent three hours fighting wild Pidgey :).
I've also decided on another feature that I will install. Two features in one, actually. I am going to 1. Make every Elite become stronger if you get to a certain point without battling him/her.
2. Make all of the Elite's able to re-battle you.
Should be interesting. Anyway, criticisms and comments still welcome. I'm still having problems with one map connection, basically I can cross from one map to another, but when I try to cross back either the map is glitched or the game just freezes. Any help in this area would be much appreciated.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2011
well, this is beacuse the tilesets of both the places are differnet i think?
yeah, a building would solve it.

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
well, this is beacuse the tilesets of both the places are differnet i think?
yeah, a building would solve it.
I know what you mean, like the glitched lab in Eruption (great hack, by the way), but no, that's not it at all. If the problem were in the tilesets, I would still be able to freely cross between maps, they'd just look really wierd. Also, both maps have the same tilesets :\.
I'll probably wind up putting a cave there or something, unless I can figure out the problem.

Dry

Team Rocket Elite No. 16
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2011
I know what you mean, like the glitched lab in Eruption (great hack, by the way), but no, that's not it at all. If the problem were in the tilesets, I would still be able to freely cross between maps, they'd just look really wierd. Also, both maps have the same tilesets :\.
I'll probably wind up putting a cave there or something, unless I can figure out the problem.

Just thinking ( racking my brains actually) hmm sizeing? movment allowences on both maps...? ill continue to look into it for ya.... oh btw Alpha beta/ testers ? maybe me?

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
It's not movement allowances, I think it's just the offset for the connection, so I'll be messing with that a bit. Not a major glitch at the moment though, and if I can't fix it before alpha release, I'll just stick a cave there instead.
Anyway, I should have something for you in a couple of weeks; sorry I've been taking so long.

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
I need to let everyone know that the alpha is going to be delayed a couple of days due to problems with map connections. For the moment, I'm going to work around it and put a cave or something similar between every map. Thanks for being so patient.

Dark.vs.Light

Budding Guitarist
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 7, 2011
This hack is looking good so far! Keep up the good work.
About the glitchy map connections, I may be able to help you with the problem.
When you say that the game freezes as you move between maps, does it completely freeze or reset to the intro screen?
If it is the latter it may be the result of a messed-up script on the maps you go to (Happened to me before). With the former I don't have a clue what's wrong.:\
I'll be sure to look into it though as this hack looks promising, (As long as you don't give up) and I wouldn't want to see it made unplayable by a minor bug.:D

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
This hack is looking good so far! Keep up the good work.
About the glitchy map connections, I may be able to help you with the problem.
When you say that the game freezes as you move between maps, does it completely freeze or reset to the intro screen?
If it is the latter it may be the result of a messed-up script on the maps you go to (Happened to me before). With the former I don't have a clue what's wrong.:\
I'll be sure to look into it though as this hack looks promising, (As long as you don't give up) and I wouldn't want to see it made unplayable by a minor bug.:D
The problem is the former, and I'm almost certain that it's a problem with my connection offsets. For now, I'm going to try to work around it, but I've got a lot of real-life stuff going on too (had an SAT today, for one), so progress is going to be sluggish for a while.
I appreciate your support. Hopefully I'll have something for you soon.

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Alright, so I've decided that if I'm going to bypass this bug, I might as well do it spectacularly. I'm including an intriguing sub-plot that you'll first start to see around that point in the game, I'm pretty excited about it. Of course, this means that the hack will take longer to finish, but I'm confident that the changes will be worth it. Thanks to everyone for your support and critique!

UPDATE: Life sucks.
Anyway, this project is moving at a snail's pace right now, due to the fact that the majority of my time is by necessity spent on trying to convince colleges that they want to pay for my education. That, and I've also been reviving a much older project of mine, namely a game system for a Pokemon tabletop RPG (I should be posting that thread soon; this time I'm waiting until the project is done...).
So, for all intents and purposes, this project is on hold, though I will still be working on it. Another problem is that I only seem to have the interest of a bare handful of people at the moment, so I won't be posting much until I really have something major to give you (*cough* alpha *cough*).
For those of you who did support this, thank you. I promise that I will do my best not to allow this project to die completely. We'll see what happens :\.

UPDATE UPDATE: HELP MEEEEEEE!
Alright, I'm reviving this thing. Slowly. I need people to actually post so that the thread doesn't just die. I'm pretty sure that I can't make the next post, so it's up to you guys! I'll work on getting this project done (if only because it would be a shame to waste Mervyn's epic support banner), you guys keep sending me ideas, okay? I'll have new screenies and maps posted tonight or tomorrow, so hang in there!
Btw, I've gone back to the standard FireRed tiles. Complainers will be excommunicated from the Pokemon religion.

Last edited:

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Nice to see this back :)
Thanks, nice to be back, and nice to know that it's nice for you to know its back :)
Okay, update time! At the moment I'm still working on creative ways to get around my map connection problems, which is frustrating because so far it basically means that, unless my maps have the same width/height (depending on the connection), I have to stick a cave or building in between, which can be something of a pain. Because of that necessity, I've wound up tacking on a whole new subplot...more on that later. Actually, this might wind up tying into the main plot, well, it almost definitely will.
Yes, I realize that it's annoying to think to myself in writing.
Anyway, in the meantime I have the updated maps for you to check out, be sure to let me know what you think. Again, I'm sticking with the original FR tiles now, basing my decision on the age-old proverb, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Let me know what you think!
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 1, 2013
Thanks, nice to be back, and nice to know that it's nice for you to know its back :)
Okay, update time! At the moment I'm still working on creative ways to get around my map connection problems, which is frustrating because so far it basically means that, unless my maps have the same width/height (depending on the connection), I have to stick a cave or building in between, which can be something of a pain. Because of that necessity, I've wound up tacking on a whole new subplot...more on that later. Actually, this might wind up tying into the main plot, well, it almost definitely will.
Yes, I realize that it's annoying to think to myself in writing.
Anyway, in the meantime I have the updated maps for you to check out, be sure to let me know what you think. Again, I'm sticking with the original FR tiles now, basing my decision on the age-old proverb, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I wont say anything about them not in a spoiler blanket ;)

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Alright! Just finished chapter 2 of the storyline, go ahead and read it, tell me what you think. Please remember that this storyline is going to go far more in-depth in certain parts than the game, and the dialogue will not be exactly the same. Also, there will be some side quests that I don't cover with this pseudo-fanfic, so don't count on these chapters as a sort of walkthrough :P.

@Chrunch, thanks for the support! Good luck with your hacks too.

@Live Update King, Glad you like them! I enjoyed making the ??? map, it was fun to mess around with the norm and make a grassy cave. The character will pick up some interesting information on that map.

Hedgehogger

Learning ASM, but struggling
Years
Heh, Pikes Peak? Is there gonna be anyone up there named Zebulun? (I'm sorry, that was corny)

So, I'm assuming that being able to talk to Pokemon is going to also be a feature in this hack? (Based on the mini-fanfics you posted)

Anyway, I do like the in-depth details of the story. I'm sure this'll start getting more attention if you were to release a beta, just, above all things, don't (And you probably were thinking of this) rush through your production. :p The reason why is because I've played some potential hacks that did release a Beta, that didn't quite live up to what I was expecting. Once again, you probably had this in mind, though..

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Heh, Pikes Peak? Is there gonna be anyone up there named Zebulun? (I'm sorry, that was corny)

So, I'm assuming that being able to talk to Pokemon is going to also be a feature in this hack? (Based on the mini-fanfics you posted)

Anyway, I do like the in-depth details of the story. I'm sure this'll start getting more attention if you were to release a beta, just, above all things, don't (And you probably were thinking of this) rush through your production. :p The reason why is because I've played some potential hacks that did release a Beta, that didn't quite live up to what I was expecting. Once again, you probably had this in mind, though..
lolwut?
Well, it's from Pikes Peak, yes, but I don't know anything about Zebulun...
Glad you like the storyline! And don't worry, I'm not rushing through this. I'll have it thoroughly beta-tested by the first release, too. Thanks for the encouragement and advice!

Hedgehogger

Learning ASM, but struggling
Years
lolwut?
Well, it's from Pikes Peak, yes, but I don't know anything about Zebulun...
Glad you like the storyline! And don't worry, I'm not rushing through this. I'll have it thoroughly beta-tested by the first release, too. Thanks for the encouragement and advice!

No problem, dood...(and Zebulun Pike was the guy Pikes Peak was named after. :P)

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
No problem, dood...(and Zebulun Pike was the guy Pikes Peak was named after. :P)
Hm, well in that case, maybe I will put someone up there named Zebulun, dunno yet :\.
Anyhoo, I know I've said this before, but this time I mean it. I'll have an alpha for you within the month. All I need to do is set up some scripts for a special challenge I've designed for Pikes Peak, and figure out a few issues with making changemaptile scripts permanent, though I might just cheat on that last one and go around that for the time being. Anyway, I've already got some beta testers, so I'll just nail these last issues, test the game, and get it to you guys.
Now, I have no idea how to reset that poll, so I'm just going to make another impromptu poll right here, just say in your posts what your answer is.
Poll question: What's one thing, a plot element, side mission, etc, that you think would really improve upon this hack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back