• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Get-Together 2013

Honest

Hi!
Years
A huge chunk of the Skype chats I've been involved in the past have centered around the Australian/NZ/Southern Hemisphere members and well, Bloodex doesn't live in a timezone where he can host a Skype call when we're most active. Usually Nica would do such a thing, but since she has since gracefully departed from the forum/the Get-Together as far as I know, I'd love to host the Skype call at the times when Bloodex is sleeping. I mean, he can't exactly be awake all the time, lol.

Oh yee of little faith. =P

Anyway, pretty damn slow to respond to this, but thanks for volunteering to be co-hosts for Skype Chris, Megan, and Twi. My parents might be a butts about me being online all day so your assistance is appreciated. =D

Years
I leave town on the 6th [July] for the beach so I'd like to at least try to participate in something, maybe the raffle, before I leave town. I love PC, but I'm not sure I'll be spending beach time participating. ;)

Autistic Lucario

Life is too short not to enjoy
Years
There are two events I'd be more than happy to host.

1: A livestream session where I will design 5 sound effects based on the five most popular requests from the people of Pokecommunity. If I cannot effectively synthesize a particular sound, I will select the next sound with the highest number of votes.

Each sound will be produced in up to three different DAWs (Digital Audio Workstation) and I may also answer any questions about sound design to the best of my ability.

The livestream will be hosted during the 7th of July, starting from 5 PM GMT (unless something comes up where I am unable to host the stream). I will provide a backup streaming time if necessary.

2: Starting on July 6th, I will post an essay about things such as:

The meaning of life
How I overcame depression and self-pity
An introduction to a new way of thinking
The 11 Forgotten Laws
Some of the greatest teachers on the subject of Self-Development and Living
My 15 favorite quotes of all time
My advice to those who are struggling emotionally

These subjects will each have their own post, possibly more than one, depending on their length. Please read this essay with an open mind, as some of it may be unusual to the average person, maybe even absurd. But to anyone who seriously wants to achieve anything past mediocrity, I suggest you take your time and study some of the information I've gathered over the last three years. You might just learn something valuable.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
I would like to see a ROM hacking event where hackers could go and ask questions if they need help with something in their hack. Hackers could also go here if there are simply wanting to chat about their hack and get some good ideas about what to implement into their hack.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I would like to see a ROM hacking event where hackers could go and ask questions if they need help with something in their hack. Hackers could also go here if there are simply wanting to chat about their hack and get some good ideas about what to implement into their hack.

There's actually already a thread that's available 24/7 for everyone to use (which can be found here), so I think an event based on asking for help would be a little redundant. 8)

droomph

weeb
Years
There are two events I'd be more than happy to host.

1: A livestream session where I will design 5 sound effects based on the five most popular requests from the people of Pokecommunity. If I cannot effectively synthesize a particular sound, I will select the next sound with the highest number of votes.

Each sound will be produced in up to three different DAWs (Digital Audio Workstation) and I may also answer any questions about sound design to the best of my ability.

The livestream will be hosted during the 7th of July, starting from 5 PM GMT (unless something comes up where I am unable to host the stream). I will provide a backup streaming time if necessary.

2: Starting on July 6th, I will post an essay about things such as:

The meaning of life
How I overcame depression and self-pity
An introduction to a new way of thinking
The 11 Forgotten Laws
Some of the greatest teachers on the subject of Self-Development and Living
My 15 favorite quotes of all time
My advice to those who are struggling emotionally

These subjects will each have their own post, possibly more than one, depending on their length. Please read this essay with an open mind, as some of it may be unusual to the average person, maybe even absurd. But to anyone who seriously wants to achieve anything past mediocrity, I suggest you take your time and study some of the information I've gathered over the last three years. You might just learn something valuable.

1st is fine, but 2nd, how will this include the readers? I mean it's great and all, but shouldn't a community event include everyone?

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
There was an event, I think, 2 years ago?, that I quite liked - it was a scripting event, where entrants posted a script and a video demonstrating it. Now, what I'd like to see happen, is an event like that. While I wouldn't be able to host it, if it was for RMXP or ROM hacking, I think it'd be cool to have an event where entrants code something and post it, and could be judged based on a number of different things.

However, on a similar note, one event that would be quite awesome, and one that I would be able to host, would be a Java coding competition, where entrants are required to code something related to one or more themes, and post the .jar code, a link to the source, and a video (optional, but screenshots required). Personally, I could see it as a way to broaden the scope of a lot of people in terms of game dev, as there are tons of games made in RMXP, but not nearly as many coded in another language, such as C or Java.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
Oh, looks like Skypes all taken care of. Well I'm here if I'm needed.

Suggestion: Pokecommunity One Hit Wonder.
The members will take event in writing a song of any genre, best song wins. Though the song has to happy rhythm (or not..) that will keep us tappn' our feet.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Since I have Team Fortress 2 now, I'd be more than happy to help co-host. But I am not certain since I may get Skype. But I am more than happy to be a back-up cohost if all possible. :)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
How about a Karaoke session via skype? o.o
That would be a ton of fun xD

droomph

weeb
Years

I'm not too keen on that because like Skype requires a money subscription to video chat lol

If you can find a way to get say, 8-15 people on board, then by all means do it!

There was an event, I think, 2 years ago?, that I quite liked - it was a scripting event, where entrants posted a script and a video demonstrating it. Now, what I'd like to see happen, is an event like that. While I wouldn't be able to host it, if it was for RMXP or ROM hacking, I think it'd be cool to have an event where entrants code something and post it, and could be judged based on a number of different things.

However, on a similar note, one event that would be quite awesome, and one that I would be able to host, would be a Java coding competition, where entrants are required to code something related to one or more themes, and post the .jar code, a link to the source, and a video (optional, but screenshots required). Personally, I could see it as a way to broaden the scope of a lot of people in terms of game dev, as there are tons of games made in RMXP, but not nearly as many coded in another language, such as C or Java.

I like the idea, but a couple things about the Java one.

First, Java/Ruby isn't easy to pick up in a hurry (it took me about a year to even get the concept of C, personally) like scripting and I don't think many others without any experience can either.

Second of all, I think RMXP and programs like that costs money, and I sure don't have any expenses to spare XD

So even though I would be willing to try it at least, I'm not too sure the less RH-oriented guys would be as willing.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
I'm not too keen on that because like Skype requires a money subscription to video chat lol

If you can find a way to get say, 8-15 people on board, then by all means do it!

who said anything about video chatting? DX gosh if people saw me as well I wouldn't be able to sing anymore xD

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
For all you hosts, I'm around to make lovely thread CSS/Graphics again if wanted. :]

Last years: [IURL="showthread.php?t=289131"]1[/IURL], [IURL="showthread.php?t=289098"]2[/IURL], [IURL="showthread.php?t=289103"]3[/IURL]

These all used the same recycled CSS unfortunately as I was a little pushed for time last year! This year however I'm promising you all unique designs, if you do want any that is.

(If we're using a universal-ish design across the board though, like we were meant to last time ^^', ignore everything I just said!)

As well, I'm available as backup host if necessary. (Super flexible in regards to time, as ever)

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
Years
PokeOlympics!

But thats massive itself.

(I legit, copied and pasted a post I did from like years ago. Yes I went that far)

Warning if your that lazy to read a long description, just don't.

Spoiler:

Yeaaa thats all I can make up right now. And most likely need some planning out and sign up a weeks or days before the actual get-together starts. It can be fun. Hectic for organizers but a new experience, right? And plus competitors have a chance on winning a gold medal(emblem)! Bragging rights for your Poke Region. And oh yea and set a World and Olympic Record!

So what you guys think?

Though I highly doubt this can even happen.

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
I like the idea, but a couple things about the Java one.

First, Java/Ruby isn't easy to pick up in a hurry (it took me about a year to even get the concept of C, personally) like scripting and I don't think many others without any experience can either.

Second of all, I think RMXP and programs like that costs money, and I sure don't have any expenses to spare XD

So even though I would be willing to try it at least, I'm not too sure the less RH-oriented guys would be as willing.

Hmmm,
1. True. That is true... Then again, a similar thing can be said about graphics XD... Or maybe that's just me.... However, there are good tutorials out there that allow you to get a basic grasp of them, enough to create something simplistic yet awesome. Plus, you've got websites such as stackoverflow.com and stuff that'd allow beginners (and others) to find out why something isn't working.
2. RMXP has a 30 day trial, which'd allow judges that don't have it to use it over the get-together. As for pure ruby and java, you could use notepad if need be to build it, and running it is simplistic enough. IDE's are different, but Eclipse(for Java) is free, awesome, points out errors, and runs the code as well.

Honest

Hi!
Years

Hey, that's not so bad of an idea! Thing is, if I recall correctly from past Skype sessions, not many people were keen on voice chatting either. Still, that doesn't mean we can't try. 8D

Kiriyuuki Kasuna

<b><i><font color="#979C1F">Insert Purpose of Mean
Years
Hey, that's not so bad of an idea! Thing is, if I recall correctly from past Skype sessions, not many people were keen on voice chatting either. Still, that doesn't mean we can't try. 8D

The thing with voice chatting is that you'd need at least a few people to voluntarily talk, but in this case where there is going to be a mass group, it'd take at least max 6-8 people to muster up the courage to voice chat and keep it going.

But we'll come up with something once the planning gets going. :>

Back