• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RP Idea: Nation Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
I was looking at the "What would you name your country?" thread when I came up with the idea for this. Needless to say, it's a bit...different from what most people here are used to for roleplaying.

The general premise is, instead of roleplaying an individual character, you roleplay an entire country, and you help guide it in matters of diplomacy and warfare as you interact with other nations.

Since not all nations are created equal, the size of your nation will be based on how many posts you have; the more posts you have, the larger your nation will be. That doesn't mean that smaller nations are incapable of interacting with larger ones in a meaningful manner, though; they may have less economic or military options at their disposal, but they can still play ball with everyone else, as it were.

Of course, it'll be set in modern times, using modern technology. Fantasy and sci-fi settings are too prone to wank ("my army of mages completely annihilates your numerically superior force of cavalry," "im in ur home system glassing ur capital"). At least it'd be a more even playing field where everyone is on more or less the same footing technologically, even if their GDPs and army sizes vary considerably.

If there's enough interest in this concept, I'll be able to flesh it out a bit more and put up a rules set. If nobody's interested, so be it. So, how about it?

The Rookie

Hacker/Writer/<Insert Here>
Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2009
Sounds good, but my country would be like two houses.

An idea: Countries can obtain materials that others can't so that their will be trade and stuff 'cuz I could imagine people getting whatever they want and using it to kill everyone.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I'd just like to say that I was thinking about developing an idea like this earlier today, more because I'm in love with the online game NationStates. XD So, if you run a game like this, I'd totally play.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
Okay, one person with over 2000 posts, and one person with only 5 posts. This'll be a nice opportunity to unveil the tier system that'll be used to determine what you start out with.

Level 6: Superstate
Qualifications: 10000+ posts
GDP (PPP): US$5 trillion
Suggested Land Area: 1 million km^2
Suggested Population: 120 million (first world living standards), 250 million (second world), 500 million (third world)
Military Points Allocation: 3600 points

Level 5: Imperium
Qualifications: 5000-9999 posts
GDP (PPP): US$2.5 trillion
Suggested Land Area: 500000 km^2
Suggested Population: 60 million (first world living standards), 120 million (second world), 250 million (third world)
Military Points Allocation: 1800 points

Level 4: Kingdom
Qualifications: 2500-4999 posts
GDP (PPP): US$1.5 trillion
Suggested Land Area: 250000 km^2
Suggested Population: 30 million (first world living standards), 60 million (second world), 120 million (third world)
Military Points Allocation: 960 points

Level 3: Principality
Qualifications: 1000-2499 posts
GDP (PPP): US$750 billion
SuggestedLand Area: 150000 km^2
Suggested Population: 15 million (first world living standards), 30 million (second world), 60 million (third world)
Military Points Allocation: 480 points

Level 2: Grand Duchy
Qualifications: 100-999 posts
GDP (PPP): US$400 billion
Suggested Land Area: 75000 km^2
Suggested Population: 8 million (first world living standards), 15 million (second world), 30 million (third world)
Military Points Allocation: 240 points

Level 1: Duchy
Qualifications: 0-99 posts
GDP (PPP): US$200 billion
Suggested Land Area: 40000 km^2
Suggested Population: 4 million (first world living standards), 8 million (second world), 15 million (third world)
Military Points Allocation: 120 points

Modifiers
Staff members: +1
Longevity: +1, dependent on distance to breakpoint and join date
  • 2007 join date: 100 posts to breakpoint
  • 2006 join date: 200 posts to breakpoint
  • 2005 join date: 300 posts to breakpoint
  • 2004 join date: 400 posts to breakpoint
  • 2003 join date: 500 posts to breakpoint

Assuming interest still holds, I'll explain the points system for your starting military forces in depth later.

Last edited:

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
Hm.. according to this tier, I'll be in the Grand Duchy. I don't understand the breaking point stuff and the military stuff though.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
Hm.. according to this tier, I'll be in the Grand Duchy. I don't understand the breaking point stuff and the military stuff though.
Breakpoint is just the point of transition between level. Since you joined in 2008 and only have around 700 posts, you can't qualify for an automatic promotion to the next level (in your case, Grand Duchy to Principality); if you joined in 2005, however, then you would.

Also, the military stuff is the next thing I plan to explain. Those points? You simply use them to buy your starting military. There are three kinds of things you can buy with your starting points: Army units, aircraft, and ships. Once the game starts, however, there is no point system; you have to budget using your existing GDP and pay for acquisition and training.

Real-life examples are given to explain tech levels and equipment types and are meant to give you a ballpark estimate of what type of equipment represents a given type and tech level. It does not necessarily mean that you are limited to those EXACT vehicles, firearms, aircraft, or ships. Keep in mind that this is a different world with its own history; for instance, you can use vehicles mechanically similar to the M1A2 Abrams and M2 Bradley but call them the "M2A1 Izayoi MBT" and the "M4 Margatroid IFV," or adopt the Heckler & Koch HK416 but brand it as the "Kawashiro Heavy Industries M11," or field a fighter aircraft similar to the Sukhoi Su-27 but call it the "CF-54 Gawain," or have a fleet of Nimitz class aircraft carriers dubbed the Lamperouge class, or anything along those lines.

Wikipedia, Global Security, and Modern Firearms are going to be your best friends when you're going to put your military together.

Build Your Own Army

Spoiler:

Build Your Own Air Force

Spoiler:

Build Your Own Navy

Spoiler:

Last edited:

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
Infantry, Light (marching, or trucks when not near fighting): 1 point (NATO), 0.5 points (Soviet)
Per soldier, or per little squad or something or other?

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
Ok, cause then the armies would be tiny.

How large are the Brigades? Like they are usually 2-5 Battalions, how many are they in this?

Jack O'Neill

Banned
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
Ok, cause then the armies would be tiny.

How large are the Brigades? Like they are usually 2-5 Battalions, how many are they in this?
A brigade is however many battalions you want it to be, as long as it's between 2 and 5. Every army has different organization, after all; one country may have the minimum 2 battalions per brigade, while another may have the maximum 5, while others have 3 or 4. Again, it's however many (between 2 and 5) you want it to be.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
I'm in, this looks just awesome, and with school ending on Tuesday I have the time to dedicate to something like this.

True Reign

  
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 31, 2010
I was looking at the "What would you name your country?" thread when I came up with the idea for this. Needless to say, it's a bit...different from what most people here are used to for roleplaying.

The general premise is, instead of roleplaying an individual character, you roleplay an entire country, and you help guide it in matters of diplomacy and warfare as you interact with other nations.

Since not all nations are created equal, the size of your nation will be based on how many posts you have; the more posts you have, the larger your nation will be. That doesn't mean that smaller nations are incapable of interacting with larger ones in a meaningful manner, though; they may have less economic or military options at their disposal, but they can still play ball with everyone else, as it were.

Of course, it'll be set in modern times, using modern technology. Fantasy and sci-fi settings are too prone to wank ("my army of mages completely annihilates your numerically superior force of cavalry," "im in ur home system glassing ur capital"). At least it'd be a more even playing field where everyone is on more or less the same footing technologically, even if their GDPs and army sizes vary considerably.

If there's enough interest in this concept, I'll be able to flesh it out a bit more and put up a rules set. If nobody's interested, so be it. So, how about it?
Good idea, Jack.

I'll check this thread every day or so to see if more people join in; if so, then I'm definitely in. xD

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
How will disasters occur? Like, riots, hurricanes, droughts, that kind of stuff?

Jack O'Neill

Banned
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
How will disasters occur? Like, riots, hurricanes, droughts, that kind of stuff?
Since you're RPing your own little corner of the world, you get to decide the climate, the terrain, and the current state of domestic affairs. Above all else, just be realistic; hopefully, you can be trusted to do that.

The seemingly steep entry requirements might be the primary reason why there's less interest than there should be. (Come on, the opportunity to band together, invade me, and crush me to dust, and it's perfectly within the rules? The staff who engage in RPing should be jumping at that opportunity!)

For reference's sake, here are examples of entry forms for a Duchy and a Kingdom, so you have a general idea of what to do and so you can see the real difference between levels. Don't steal them for your own use, though; they're just examples.

As you can see from my equipment choices and from all the gratuitous (and most likely horribly mangled) German, I've got something of an East Germany/West Germany vibe going on here. Guess what they're referencing. In any case, should this game actually get off the ground, I might even include tweaked versions of Mordland and Belka as two of the many NPC states you can interact with and declare war on.

Example Duchy: Demokratische Republik Mordland (Democratic Republic of Mordland)

Spoiler:

Example Kingdom: Bundesrepublik Belka (Federal Republic of Belka)

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
I want to run something by you, before this gets started (if it does): Would I be able to have more than one government within a single nation? Like a totalitarian government in control and a democratic rebel group?

Jack O'Neill

Banned
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
I want to run something by you, before this gets started (if it does): Would I be able to have more than one government within a single nation? Like a totalitarian government in control and a democratic rebel group?
Under normal circumstances, you only have one government per nation. You are free to roleplay rebel factions and general internal strife. If said rebels have significant military assets, though, they count against your starting military points (no more than 1% of your total points, though); after that, both government and insurgent forces are free to grow as they wish within reason.

Last edited:

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
I know, but I am no good a decisions. I think I'll go with Monarchy though.

Dammit, I had a bunch of it written up, until Economy and then I misclicked and deleted it all. *headdesk**headdesk**headdesk**headdesk**headdesk*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back